Shoutbox

Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki (/showthread.php?tid=61059)

Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-25-2006 at 01:26 AM

OK, I've been enjoying the pleasures of scripting since I got plus live, and I wanted to be able to share my experiences and make it even easier for people to get into scripting, so what I've done is set up a wiki that plus scripters can use to share code, examples, tutorials, useful functions and classes etc.

I've built in a <code> and <xml> tag to make entering your code nice, syntax highlighted and easy. :)

I've done my best to recreate some of the scripting docs and written a short tutorial on adding commands to a script, writing text files and to the registry.

EDIT:  Finally got the domain sorted out 8-)

http://mpwiki.net/

Comments and suggestions much appreciated!

RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by MX-G on 06-25-2006 at 01:39 AM

Nice, thats a great idea ^^

RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by Menthix on 06-25-2006 at 01:48 AM

MSscripts.net was already working on something simular, that's why I didn't put a tutorials section on the official scripts site. But they're still working on it. I just hope help doesn't get fragmented too much because all kinds of small help sites popping up everywhere.

RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by aNILEator on 06-25-2006 at 01:53 AM

i think both mpsounds and mpscripts are rather poorly designed, teh links/icons are incredibly small how can you expect anyone to know what they do and where to find them, this wiki is coming along great and has as much potential as any help site/forum and above all is completely publically available and editable and already has a great deal of information available in the wiki format.

In my opinion mpsounds and scripts should have much larger icons spanning along the top of the website or as you have it on the left but with much larger icons and possibly what it links to written on the image also, i suggest you think about ease of use (remember most internet users won't hunt for things if they aren't obvious and can't find what they want, its off to another site/search engine)

i hope you consider a small re-design on this issue

RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-25-2006 at 02:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
MSscripts.net was already working on something simular, that's why I didn't put a tutorials section on the official scripts site. But they're still working on it. I just hope help doesn't get fragmented too much because all kinds of small help sites popping up everywhere.

Well I hope the same thing too, I think the point of plus scripts was to build a community effort and make it easier for new developers, and make it more open so people could share source easily.

I was unaware of any effort on your part, so clearly I couldn't have done anything to prevent myself from stepping on your toes as it were...

Anyway, I'm sure we've both put a deal of effort into our sites and if you want to work on something together, rather than just moaning I'm "fragmenting" things, then please fell free to let me know. :)
RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-28-2006 at 07:22 PM

Sorry for the double post...

We finally got our domain sorted out and we're online for scripters to share (syntax highlighted) code, examples, tutorials etc with each other! :D

http://mpwiki.net/

RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by saralk on 06-28-2006 at 07:31 PM

can you name a good page to start from?

RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-28-2006 at 07:33 PM

Good page to start what from?  Scripting?  I haven't written any general getting started tutorials, but I probably will a little later.

RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by absorbation on 06-28-2006 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
EDIT:  Finally got the domain sorted out

Finally. I still think this is a great idea. This is a place to share code, and ideas. In the testing forum we had a tips thread and some useful stuff was posted there and this should provide the same treatment.

As for mpscripts.net, it wasn't even finished, people just started posting randomly :P.
RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-28-2006 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:
EDIT:  Finally got the domain sorted out

Finally. I still think this is a great idea. This is a place to share code, and ideas. In the testing forum we had a tips thread and some useful stuff was posted there and this should provide the same treatment.

As for mpscripts.net, it wasn't even finished, people just started posting randomly :P.

I was one of them!

Anyway, yup, a good place to just share code, as well as tips and such... if any testers want to retrieve said tips from the thread and post them on the wiki, please do! ;)
RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by CookieRevised on 06-28-2006 at 07:41 PM

I agree that there should only be 1 centralized page for this (and it should preferably be officially).

I wanted to add something to mpwiki before (the idea of a wiki is very good), but I also did relealize that in the end much information will be "fragmented". It's a pain in the but to keep 2 (or more) sites like this informative/updated/etc. I for one don't have the time to constantly check on multiple sites to see if there are errors or to update stuff and keep it "syncronized". Why do everything twice???

Instead of working side by side, work together and centralize all on one domain...

PS1: I don't like the design of mpsounds either and was very surprised when I visited it (in a bad way), the old design was waaay better. Dunno about mpscripts, can't access it...

PS2 "mpwiki" stands for "Messenger Plus! Wiki", at least that is what I would think, thus the domain doesn't indicate "Plus!Live scripting"...

PS3: currently mpwiki is nothing more than a copy of the scripting document and a few things which is explained (IMHO) way better in the msdn jscript 5.6  documents (which is btw also available as a chm help file... somewhere; I have it but can't find it source).

RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-28-2006 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I agree that there should only be 1 centralized page for this (and it should be officially if possible).

I wanted to add something to mpwiki before, but I also did relealize that in the end much information will be "fragmented". It's a pain in the but to keep 2 (or more) sites like this informative/updated/etc. I for one don't have the time to constantly check on multiple sites to see if there are errors or to update stuff and keep it "syncronized". Why do everything twice???

Instead of working side by side, work together and centralize all on one domain...

That's what I think. :)

quote:
PS1: I don't like the design of mpsounds either and was very surprised when I visited it (in a bad way), the old design was waaay better. Dunno about mpscripts, can't access it...

mpscripts is basically the same design as mpsounds.

quote:
PS2 "mpwiki" stands for "Messenger Plus! Wiki", at least that is what I would think, thus the domain doesn't indicate "Plus!Live scripting"...

True, but I wanted something nice and short, and easy to remember, mpwiki works reasonably well. :)
RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by CookieRevised on 06-28-2006 at 07:48 PM

quote:
True, but I wanted something nice and short, and easy to remember, mpwiki works reasonably well. :)
mpswiki ?  plscwiki?   mplswiki? (too late now anyways; but I still would prefer it to be on mpscripts.net)
RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-28-2006 at 07:50 PM

quote:
quote:
mpswiki ?  plscwiki?   mplswiki?

I still think mine's easier to remember, but does it really matter now?? :P

EDIT:  As you say, yes, too late.  Why would you prefer it on mpscripts.net ^o)  Does the domain matter THAT much?  It's done, it's working, and it already has content. :)
RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by Dempsey on 06-28-2006 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
i think both mpsounds and mpscripts are rather poorly designed, teh links/icons are incredibly small how can you expect anyone to know what they do and where to find them,
Yea I agree and this is something I am workin on, in the end it was kinda rushed to get the site realised and out public.  If you have any more ideas how I can improve, please let me know :)
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation

Yup :p that design on there was just for testing the mpsounds design and then people just started posting, im working on some content to get mpscripts running asap :)
quote:
OK, I appreciate being told, how exactly do you not like it?  Is it the colours/design or just the layout ?  I could port over the old design and allow users the choice of which to use.

RE: RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by CookieRevised on 06-28-2006 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Why would you prefer it on mpscripts.net ^o)  Does the domain matter THAT much?
The domain name doesn't matter too much, it can be anything for all I care (almost :p). The important part is that it should all be on only 1 domain, an official one, just as mpsounds is the official sound database/forum...

I don't care who manages the "official" one either (almost again :p), but it should be only 1 helpforum/database/wiki/etc, not 2...

If an official one will be created, I will mainly visit, check, work with the official one.

Don't get me wrong, of course people can make whatever they want, but in such cases it is way better and easier for everyone that it is 1 site where all the info is found...

[OFF TOPIC - mpsounds]

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
OK, I appreciate being told, how exactly do you not like it?  Is it the colours/design or just the layout ?  I could port over the old design and allow users the choice of which to use.
mostly the layout... you can't find anything anymore with one quick view. Tons of text and links to sift thru, etc (colors are secondary, they can easly be changed and even customized I guess). The simplicity of the previous one was its very strong point IMHO.

[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: RE: RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-30-2006 at 06:11 PM

quote:
quote:
Why would you prefer it on mpscripts.net ^o)  Does the domain matter THAT much?
The domain name doesn't matter too much, it can be anything for all I care (almost :p). The important part is that it should all be on only 1 domain, an official one, just as mpsounds is the official sound database/forum...

I don't care who manages the "official" one either (almost again :p), but it should be only 1 helpforum/database/wiki/etc, not 2...

If an official one will be created, I will mainly visit, check, work with the official one.

Don't get me wrong, of course people can make whatever they want, but in such cases it is way better and easier for everyone that it is 1 site where all the info is found...

quote:
Originally emailed by Patchou
Hi Alex,

I like your idea to make a wiki for Plus! scripting.... centralizing
information is always a problem so here is what I suggest: simply add a link from your site to the other ones (like mpscripts.net) and request to them that they do the same. This way, visitors are happy because they can find all the information they need and it gives all of you a fair chance to attract people. In this kind of situation, the "winner" is generally decided by people over time and depending on the efforts everybody put in it. Maybe at some point you'll want to join the two sites together, maybe not, we shall see :p. Also, it was my understanding that mpscripts.net would concentrate more on providing already made scripts to people.

Good luck with that, let me know if you think I can help :)
Patch

I've actually already included a link to mpscripts.net.

There ya go, another opinion for the thread.
RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by Menthix on 06-30-2006 at 06:44 PM

5 days later... a bit of people creating spammy articles for their nickname, no content yet. It's content that will decide everything at the end.

But please don't get mad with me, I wish you luck with getting content on there and really hope you can create something nice. And mpscripts.net still hasn't got any real content either and the design could be better too (navigating with just icons is confusing, add text). We'll see how things go, all I hope is that both sites don't go focusing on the exact same thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou's Mail
it was my understanding that mpscripts.net would concentrate more on providing already made scripts to people.
No, mpscripts dropped the idea of having a download database after I talked to Dempsey.
- I dropped the tutorials on msgpluslive.net so Dempsey can do it on his site.
- Dempsey dropped the download DB so I can do it on msgpluslive.net.
:)
RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-30-2006 at 06:52 PM

quote:
5 days later... a bit of people creating spammy articles for their nickname, no content yet. It's content that will decide everything at the end.

But please don't get mad with me, I wish you luck with getting content on there and really hope you can create something nice.

No content?  I've spent several hours writing content and if you click random page or the All Pages button you'll find a chunk of stuff on there, I wrote examples for a decent bit of the scripting documentation that didn't have any.

If people aren't sharing their code, then it can't be blamed on the site, or me, I've put in a load of effort to get stuff on there and getting it functioning nicely, not to mention getting the domain to work took stupid amounts more effort than it should have.

The site has been open for only 5 days and hasn't been promoted outside of this forum yet, there's hardly likely to be the biggest library of data available yet...  I think you're being somewhat harsh, don't you?
RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by Chris4 on 06-30-2006 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Good page to start what from?  Scripting?  I haven't written any general getting started tutorials, but I probably will a little later.
Please do :D
RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by Menthix on 06-30-2006 at 07:00 PM

quote:
No content?  I've spent several hours writing content
Well, I took a look at http://mpwiki.net/Special:Allpages and it seemed all copied from the documentation to me. If you wrote your own examples, I'm sorry for not noticing that then.

quote:
If people aren't sharing their code, then it can't be blamed on the site
I'm not blaming anything or everyone :s. All I was saying is it will be content that will decide in the end which site gets popular and used by people.

quote:
I think you're being somewhat harsh, don't you?
I said there is no reason to get mad with me :(. If I sound harsh, sorry, that's not what I'm trying todo.
RE: RE: Unofficial Plus Scripting Wiki by alexp2_ad on 06-30-2006 at 07:21 PM

quote:
quote:
No content?  I've spent several hours writing content
Well, I took a look at http://mpwiki.net/Special:Allpages and it seemed all copied from the documentation to me. If you wrote your own examples, I'm sorry for not noticing that then.

For a bit of the documentation I wrote out very simple examples designed to show new coders how the thing is used, eg http://mpwiki.net/Function:Messenger.OpenChat

I've also written a page on saving to the registry ( http://mpwiki.net/The_Registry ) and text files ( http://mpwiki.net/Text_Files ) and a tutorial on adding script commands ( http://mpwiki.net/Script_Commands ).