Shoutbox

Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 (/showthread.php?tid=61707)

Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Zantis on 06-27-2006 at 05:58 AM

Just wondering if anyone has been using Windows Vista Beta 2 and installed WIndows Live Messenger and Plus Live!.  I tried installing the audiator script and it failed with the following error. 

An error occured while importing the script files.

then I tried downloading another script and it failed with the same error.  Do I need something else installed for the scripts to work or is this a vista issue?

Thanks

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by John Anderton on 06-27-2006 at 06:18 AM

Well importing problems are dodgy and they rarely happen cause there isnt much complication to it. You could manually install it without any trouble at all. But first you should try redownloading and installing again.

If that doesnt work then let me know. Ill tell you how to do it manually

(I thought the script doesnt work for which i had a reason but yours is an installation problem .... let me know what happens :))

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Zantis on 06-27-2006 at 06:29 AM

I downloaded the audiator twice now, still no go.  I also tried installing the google search script and no go also. 

I also went into Plus Live Preferences and to the scripts tab and clicked import and then tried to import audiator that way, this came back with the same result.

I also tried to click the "create new" script, it said I couldn't create a new script.

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Chestah on 06-27-2006 at 06:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zantis
I also tried installing the google search script and no go also.   

hmm well theres nothing wrong in the .plsc code for the google utiltities script and i doubt anything with audiator either.

It would be great if someone else on Vista could confirm/not confirm this problem.
RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by John Anderton on 06-27-2006 at 07:01 AM

Chestah: since the plsc's are basically zip's with xml's for the info, we could just rename it to a .zip and extract it to a folder with the scripts name in the scripts folder.

Thats how I did it before the export and import feature came in :P

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Chestah on 06-27-2006 at 08:20 AM

Yeah, but theres definately a problem when he can't create a new script at all! Possibly some permission conflictions in Vista due to UAP?

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by alexp2_ad on 06-27-2006 at 09:05 AM

I had a problem installing scripts in vista too, here's how to fix it:

Simply change the permissions in the properties for the Messenger Plus! Live folder, or the scripts folder, and tick "Full Control" for everyone.

Plus seems unable to make new folders in the script directory unless you do this.

But that solves all the problems, so no worries" :)

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Menthix on 06-27-2006 at 09:33 AM

Vista scares me, since when are apps not allowed by default to write files in folders that were created by the same app :(.

Anyway, Patchou should take a look at it, sounds like an easy to fix.

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by xJ + on 06-27-2006 at 09:40 AM

vista didn't give me any problem till now. :D I'm so glad about it. However, my conversation window somehow freeze momentarily or even stop responding when I've got more then 4 scripts installed. :S

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Patchou should take a look at it, sounds like an easy to fix.

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Zantis on 06-27-2006 at 06:35 PM

Well changing the permissions of the Script folder by adding "Everyone" and Full Control it worked.

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by JunoonX on 06-29-2006 at 08:54 AM

Either that or I'd instead suggest you install the app as an administrator. While installing WLM Plus! rt.click on the installer and choose "Run as Administrator". This will throw a UAC dialog box if a user tries to install a script, it should limit installs of scripts to only those with a valid admin user/passwd. Just blindly assigning full control to all users is sort of bypassing the security controls in place by Vista. Just my 2 cents :)

RE: RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by alexp2_ad on 06-29-2006 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JunoonX
Either that or I'd instead suggest you install the app as an administrator. While installing WLM Plus! rt.click on the installer and choose "Run as Administrator". This will throw a UAC dialog box if a user tries to install a script, it should limit installs of scripts to only those with a valid admin user/passwd. Just blindly assigning full control to all users is sort of bypassing the security controls in place by Vista. Just my 2 cents :)

Well that is true, but don't you find the security controls in place in Vista just stupid and annoying anyway?  Like the way I can't seem to modify the shortcut to iTunes on my desktop, despite being the admin?  And the way it takes about 6 clicks to empty the recycle bin?
RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by JunoonX on 06-29-2006 at 09:17 AM

^ Agreed, they are annoying but being Beta 2 those annoyances will go away with the next RC releases. Those security controls are in place for a reason though and one way or another we'll have to get used to them.

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Menthix on 06-29-2006 at 12:22 PM

Made sure Patchou will read this topic :).

RE: Scripts fail to install, possibly because of Windows Vista Beta 2 by Patchou on 06-29-2006 at 04:23 PM

I'll work on that, thx for reporting.