Shoutbox

Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) (/showthread.php?tid=65097)

Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by bleezer on 08-18-2006 at 10:06 PM

Hi guys..
i scripted a tool that sets my status to IDLE (NOT away) but it doesn't work. It just does nothing. Here it is:

code:
function OnEvent_Initialize(MessengerStart)
{
}

function OnGetScriptMenu(Location)
{
    var ScriptMenu = "<ScriptMenu>";
       ScriptMenu    +=  "<MenuEntry Id=\"StatusIdle\">";
       ScriptMenu    +=    "Set Status Idle";
       ScriptMenu    +=  "</MenuEntry>";
    ScriptMenu    += "</ScriptMenu>";
    return ScriptMenu;
}

function OnEvent_MenuClicked(MenuItemId,Location,OriginWnd)
{
    switch(MenuItemId) {
        case "StatusIdle": 
            SetStatusIdle();
        break;
    }
}

function SetStatusIdle()
{
    Messenger.MyStatus = "6";    //6 = Idle
}

function OnEvent_Uninitialize(MessengerExit)
{
}

I scripted this because my Live Messenger doesn't set my status to Idle after x minutes (although  this function is activated)..
Thanks for your help..
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-18-2006 at 10:33 PM

Hi bleezer ! :D

I'm not sure of that, but I think that you can't set your status on "Idle" with Messenger.MyStatus... I've tried your script with other status, and  it goes...

Example :

code:
Messenger.MyStatus = "6";

function OnEvent_MyStatusChange(NewStatus) {
    if (NewStatus==6) {
        MsgPlus.DisplayToast("Status","IDLE");
    }
}

With this code, there is no notification.

code:
Messenger.MyStatus = "5";

function OnEvent_MyStatusChange(NewStatus) {
    if (NewStatus==5) {
        MsgPlus.DisplayToast("Status","BE RIGHT BACK");
    }
}

With this one, there is the notification.

:(

(Sorry for my English, I'm French ;))
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by Silentdragon on 08-18-2006 at 10:46 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=64...d=712291#pid712291

Cookie does a good job of explaining what would need to be done to do this.

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by Kutar on 08-19-2006 at 11:06 AM

Hello!

I think who requests the script like this, they want the script is : Idle anytime.

Silentdragon's link is only idle on signin. But not anytime.

My English is poor, Sorry. Because I am Chinese.

RE: RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bleezer
I scripted this because my Live Messenger doesn't set my status to Idle after x minutes (although  this function is activated).
If it doesn't set your status to idle after x minutes you either:
1) did not activated it properly in the Messenger preferences
2) moved your mouse or pressed your keyboard. Thus you aren't in idle mode anymore and thus MEssenger will set your status to online again.

quote:
Originally posted by Kutar
I think who requests the script like this, they want the script is : Idle anytime.

The link posted is exactly about the same issue: setting your status on demand to idle.

quote:
Originally posted by KnRd_WC
code:
Messenger.MyStatus = "6";
With this code, there is no notification;

1) the mystatus property expects a number, not a string.
2) even if you set it to 6 (the number), you wont recieve a notification because you can not set the messenger status to idle like that. You can retrieve the current status if it is idle, but you can not set it to idle.

Please see the link Silentdragon posted:
CookieRevised's reply to "[REQUEST]Idle lies".
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 12:19 PM

Hi !

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

1) the mystatus property expects a number, not a string.
2) even if you set it to 6 (the number), you wont recieve a notification because you can not set the messenger status to idle like that. You can retrieve the current status if it is idle, but you can not set it to idle.

1) I also thought that before test it in a script. Try, you will see !
code:
Messenger.MyStatus = "3";

2) That's what I already said...
quote:

I think that you can't set your status on "Idle" with Messenger.MyStatus

:D
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 12:51 PM

The reason why Messenger.MyStatus = "3" works (but why it is not correct to do so) is because JScript automatically converts the string to a number. Mystatus needs a number, not a string.

RE: RE: RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by Kutar on 08-19-2006 at 01:03 PM

quote:
quote:

The link posted is exactly about the same issue: setting your status on demand to idle.

Maybe I have to correct my words

I think who requests the script like this, they want the script is : Idle anytime when they wanted.

The link is only idle when they signin.
After they set to online, they cannot set it back to idle again.
SignIn again that works. But the contacts maybe know that you are telling lies.
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 01:26 PM

Which is exactly what has been explained in that thread which is linked to (it is not about changing to idle only when you sign in) and which is exactly the same as requested in this thread.

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by Kutar on 08-19-2006 at 01:29 PM

Maybe I don't know how to use the script. Can you help me?
Because I can only idle when I signin

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 01:31 PM

Hi everybody ! :D

I'm really happy 'cause I found a way to set status to "Idle" !
Yes, yes, believe me !

It will not be a script, but just a little patch who will replace "Be right back", or another default status to "Idle". I'm going to make the patch, it will take 1 or 2 hours... (Thanks to my Basic knowledge :) )

Is somebody interested ?

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 01:32 PM

People PLEASE read threads and posts before posting!

This is exactly the reason why people complain threads get too long to read thru. Start by yourself and read posts before asking stuff which is already explained before...

--------------

Anyways,

quote:
Maybe I don't know how to use the script. Can you help me? Because I can only idle when I signin
It is NOT possible todo it (EDIT: properly) as stated before in this thread and in the thread linked to by Silentdragon.
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by Kutar on 08-19-2006 at 01:32 PM

Me! Because I want to tell lies :P

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 01:35 PM

:)

Ok, I'm going to make the patch... but... it will be only available for WLM 8.0.812.00, because I can test only with this version.... And the patch will be in french, of course !

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 01:35 PM

quote:
I'm really happy 'cause I found a way to set status to "Idle" !

It will not be a script, but just a little patch who will replace "Be right back", or another default status to "Idle".
If I am right in thinking what you're going todo then I must say that it will not work! All it will do is show the text idle in your messenger. You actually will still be xxxx (whatever status you've used to replace) and the contacts will still see that original status.

Again, the only way to set your status to idle on demand is to handle it directly using the protocol as explained here.

EDIT: PS: and testing this using polygamy is not correct since both messengers will be patched.
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 01:43 PM

Look at this, I have just done it :

[Image: idle.png]

Note : I can move the mouse, do everything I want... status is still "Idle"

RE: RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by bleezer on 08-19-2006 at 02:08 PM

quote:
quote:
I scripted this because my Live Messenger doesn't set my status to Idle after x minutes (although  this function is activated).
If it doesn't set your status to idle after x minutes you either:
1) did not activated it properly in the Messenger preferences
2) moved your mouse or pressed your keyboard. Thus you aren't in idle mode anymore and thus MEssenger will set your status to online again.

It is activated and i don't move the mouose or press anything..
I want to set Idle not because I want to tell lies, I want it because my Messenger doesn't do this anymore..

quote:
Look at this, I have just done it :
[...]
Note : I can move the mouse, do everything I want... status is still "Idle"

Can I try your patch?
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 02:10 PM

Wait, wait.... :D
*In construction* lol

;)

RE: RE: RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 02:12 PM

quote:
It is activated and i don't move the mouose or press anything..
I want to set Idle not because I want to tell lies, I want it because my Messenger doesn't do this anymore..
It works perfectly here.

Tools > Options > Personal > Show me as away when I'm inactive for x minutes.

Have you some stuff which is preventing your messenger to go to idle? (other scripts? other addons? etc)
RE: RE: RE: RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by bleezer on 08-19-2006 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Have you some stuff which is preventing your messenger to go to idle? (other scripts? other addons? etc)

No, I haven't. It didn't work with Messenger 7.5 too. I asked MSN and Mircosoft for help but they don't know anything... So I wanted to make a script that sets my status to idle after x minutes..
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 03:47 PM

I have just finished my patch !!

I hope it will be useful... :S

With this patch, you can replace "Be right back", Away" or "At phone" (or something like this...) with "Idle" status.

The patch works fine for me, I tested it with my session and my father's session on his computer... no problem, status is "Idle" !!

PLEASE NOTE :
- This patch is, of course, in French (but it's not very hard to translate ;))
- This patch works only with WLM 8.0.0812 (for the moment...)
- The name of the status in the list will be not changed, just his function !
- DO NOT USE THIS PATCH 2 TIMES (OR MORE :D)
   1) There's no reason to do that !
   2) The backup will be overwrite with a patched version ! :S
- You use this patch at your own risk (read posts below !!). If there's any problem after having applied this patch, end WLM, go to "(Local Drive):\Program Files\MSN Messenger\", delete 'msnmsgr.exe' and rename 'msnmsgr.exe_BACKUP' to 'msnmsgr.exe' !!!

Download : *Removed*
Use this one : Idle on demand

----------------------

Oh, of course, if, for example, you replace "Be right back" with "Idle", when you will use Messenger.MyStatus = 5, status will be "Idle" ;)

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by TheAngel on 08-19-2006 at 04:12 PM

lol, months ago i tell how to do that and my post got deleted

its nothing more to find the Status Id you want to get replaced (like In the Call - PHN") and replace it with IDL

side note, the Status that you replace you will not beeing able to see others users on that status

ex: if you replace the in the call, anyone in your contact list that set that status, to you will see it with a normal Online status.

so the best bet is for anyone set to replace the in a call, its the less used status

in that time i also speaked to apatch to intergrate in his patch but because of that problem of the patch status will disapear from others, he chosed to not implent on the patch

so its anyone calls, to lose seeing others status that you replace for your forced idle status

nice work doing the patch KnRd_WC, you set it beeing easy to do it

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 04:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheAngel
side note, the Status that you replace you will not beeing able to see others users on that status

Oh yeah, you're right ! I did not see it !! :D
quote:
so the best bet is for anyone set to replace the in a call, its the less used status

You're right again... :D

Lol, no, it's not very difficult, just replace "BRB", "AWY" or "PHN" with "IDL" !! :D But I have nothing to do... so, that made me spend time to create this patch ;)

quote:
nice work doing the patch KnRd_WC, you set it beeing easy to do it

Thanks !! (H)
RE: RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 04:32 PM

quote:
lol, months ago i tell how to do that and my post got deleted

its nothing more to find the Status Id you want to get replaced (like In the Call - PHN") and replace it with IDL
I dunno about your post getting deleted, but it indeed is all he did. And this is actually exactly what I described as "the only way to do this is to set your status directly using the protocol"....

Note what I thought he was going todo was to manipulate resources. The method he used is something I thought he would even not consider because of that big drawback and thus is actually no 'solution' at all imho.

PS: and that method is years and years old, nothing new.

quote:
The method he choosed to do is known since years and it indeed has that serious side-effect, hence why that method is not being used by other tools and addons since years as it actually is a serious drawback.

-----------

EDIT: said all that, there is maybe one way to do it on demand (and without the drawback): patch messenger, set the status, repatch messenger... this can easly be done with a script...

But the only good method is still to inject your own protocol message though.

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 04:41 PM

So, now people are informed of the side effects of this patch !
They will use this patch at their own risks !!! Lol :D

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by Voldemort on 08-19-2006 at 04:55 PM

its quite simple to do it yourself, just change a value on the registry

RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
its quite simple to do it yourself, just change a value on the registry
please read this thread and the thread linked to:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised here
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Shrbr is making something, he found a registry value to change to idle status and is intergrating it into a script.
The only idle related Messenger registry value there is is the one which indicates with what status you are going to signin. This is shown and used already 2 months ago in my Remember Status script.

But this is of no use whatsoever to the OP.

Even if you can set a registry value to "idle", that wont do anything good since Messenger does not constantly poll the registry to see if it needs to change the status.
There is nothing in the registry for this.

KnRd_WC, as I said here, although your method has major drawbacks and as such I didn't considered it to be usefull before, there is a way to work around those drawbacks and actually make a working script out of it without any disadvantages (other than it would be version dependant).

also note that the method used is still manipulating the protocol as I said from the beginning!

So for KnRd_WC and others who want it, here is a script which will set your status to idle on demand (without the loss of other statusses and without wrong indications in the contact list!):

CookieRevised's reply to "[REQUEST]Idle lies"
RE: RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by mickael9 on 08-19-2006 at 10:24 PM

quote:
- This patch is, of course, in French (but it's not very hard to translate ;))

English version ! :p
RE: Need help, Set status to Idle (NOT away) by KnRd_WC on 08-19-2006 at 10:30 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooo !!! Do not use my patch !!!! :o

I think I'm going to remove my post....

I tested CookieRevised's script (Idle on demand)... it works fine, and it's better than my patch which remove "At phone" status !!!
---------------------------------------------
Arggggghhh !!!

That was so evident !!! If I can make a patch which change "AWY" to "IDL" in the executable, I can make a script (with an external DLL previously created by me, because I don't know how to write in a process in JavaScript :D) which will change the value in the process !!.Moreover, I often use TSearch (HexEditor).... :(

But that's already done by you CookieRevised ! Nice job ;)
I remove my "crappy" patch !! lol