Shoutbox

I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. (/showthread.php?tid=67323)

I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Sana on 10-15-2006 at 12:47 AM

I've tried all the troubleshooting I can think of.

I've checked the service status, I've tested my logging in on other computers, works.

I've signed into MSN Messenger 7.5 on this computer, and Web Messenger. But when I install Windows Live Messenger it doesn't work.

Windows Live Messenger troubleshooting has tested my connection and it's fine.

I've tried uninstalling all of Windows Live Messenger, the Sign-In Assistant, Messenger Plus Live (and all its scripts and settings I removed) and re-downloading and re-installing just Windows Live Messenger, tried installing it and its sign-in assistant, tried installing Plus (for no apparent reason, since it would work without plus, just for trying a diversity of things).
I've tried restarting, I've re-registered all the associated DLL files...
Tested all sorts of different Internet settings, double-checked that it is in fact on the allow list for Windows Firewall (which it has been, and still is).

When I try to sign in it's just keeps showing that its "Signing In..."
It almost seems as if its not connecting with the Messenger service, because it goes on and on (literally for days at a time) without notifying me that it can't sign in.

It seems like it sends an initial packet, receives no responce, and stops sending or receiving packets altogether, but I'm not absolutely sure about this (though it seems like this is happening).

Not sure why it won't communicate with the Messenger service or sign in if it is communicating.

Any suggestions as to what to do about it?

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Victoria on 10-15-2006 at 01:05 AM

Close down Messenger completely and try this:

quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
I've found some people in a Messenger discussion group who seem to be having the same problem as you guys.
There was a fix posted that worked for all who had posted with the problem, so it may work for you too:

1. Hit "run" in the start menu
2. Type "regedit"
3. Open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger"
4. Delete the folder called MSN Messenger
5. After this MSN Messenger Live will login as normal.

or...

If you're not comfortable editing the registry, you can run this small reg. file posted by Jonathan Kay [MVP] which does the same thing as posted above:
Remove Messenger Settings

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Sana on 10-15-2006 at 01:19 AM

Nah I have no problem editing the registry, and the program makes no real difference. I've edited it in regedit and with API in VB6 (yeah maybe that's where I screwed something up).

I installed the latest Windows Updates, deleted by registry settings and restart my computer.

Windows Live Messenger's working now.

Unbelievable that it was so simple :X

Thanks.

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by LickingDishes on 10-15-2006 at 02:12 AM

Oh my god. I am in love with you. I had the same problems as Sana. Now I can relax... hehe.

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by ManicVJ on 10-15-2006 at 07:06 AM

Haha and Victoria saves the day once again :P

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by MOTOS on 10-17-2006 at 07:01 AM

i get error 8004882c after i delete that folder and try to sign in

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Victoria on 10-17-2006 at 11:29 AM

Please read: Victoria's reply to MSN not signing in :)

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Ev44 on 10-19-2006 at 12:49 AM

so what does deleting that registry entry do?
Im so happy now, that my msn works now:D:D

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by blackjack on 10-19-2006 at 12:45 PM

I was about to post something like this.. i have the same problem as the topic starter..

Deleted that registry entry and nothing happened i cant seem to log in yet, but i can with Windows/MSN Messenger

Not live :S

Im currently using other account for live messenger.. :P..

any ideas on how to solve this?

RE: RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by MS-h4xxor on 10-19-2006 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Please read: Victoria's reply to MSN not signing in :)

I tried doing that, but it just deleted my .exe file. So I had to reinstall the bugger (MSN Live), what should I do?
RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by phydeauxiii on 10-20-2006 at 01:15 AM

did you try this as suggested by felu:

Go to Window Directory > Windows > system32 > drivers > etc . After that you'll find a hosts file without an extension. Open it in a next editor like notepad. Go to the last line and put the following lines -

65.54.239.80 messenger.hotmail.com
    65.54.239.80 dp.msnmessenger.akadns.net

Restart Messenger and you're done .

Moreover in about a day remove these so that your messenger won't cause problems when the server is up

It worked for me...

RE: RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by CookieRevised on 10-20-2006 at 05:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ev44
so what does deleting that registry entry do?
Im so happy now, that my msn works now:D:D
The same as formatting your computer...

What I mean is, it isn't really a specific solution. Deleting all the registry settings of Messenger is as good as reinstalling it completely. In other words you also loose all your settings and what not.

A proper solution would have been removing the registry settings which needed to be removed/reset and nothing more.

see "CookieRevised's reply to Contacts problem" for a proper fix and explanation.

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by fried_oyz on 10-20-2006 at 06:44 AM

Hi, I can't sign into Live Messenger, with no error codes.. (no probs with messenger 7.5) so I did the regedit fix, and i got a 81000395 error instead. Someone help pls?

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by ChromeX on 10-20-2006 at 10:45 AM

seems that begining from yesterday msn servers are unstable. getting often this error:

80072efd

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by blackjack on 10-20-2006 at 12:22 PM

Thanks again for saving the day cookie :P

that worked like a charm :P

This may be considered spam.. but i wanted to let u know that its fixed here :)

:banana:

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by ProGoddess on 10-22-2006 at 03:00 AM

Yes it works fine now. I was having this problem for days and finally this forum gave me the solution. However, after I have deleted the registry, and signed in to MSN, it was resetted to the old settings.. its like a rollback..

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by katzies on 10-25-2006 at 11:54 AM

I tried that and it didn't work. now when I click the sign in button it won't do anything.

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by aragorn0257 on 01-21-2008 at 06:10 PM

Thanks Victoria, Your fix worked beautifully .-)
Another satisfied customer;)

Larry

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by saz060003 on 03-17-2008 at 03:16 PM

Hey Victoria,

I tried the registry stuff but it didnt work =(
Here's the error i get:  Error Code: 80048820

Please help!!

Thanks

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by vi2xn on 09-15-2008 at 12:14 PM

I have this problem and i've tried editing the registry. It still doesn't want to sign in.

Help please..

thx

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by jkm9 on 10-28-2008 at 05:12 AM

thank you so much for the info, it worked for me, im using messener live beta and having the same problem too, i just downloaded the application that do the work then restarted then finally working again. thanks again.

RE: RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Supermouse on 11-02-2008 at 08:53 PM

I want to have your babies, I've been trying for hours and almost gave up. All I had to do was click on that little link and it worked!
I am so happy!:D

quote:
Close down Messenger completely and try this:
quote:
I've found some people in a Messenger discussion group who seem to be having the same problem as you guys.
There was a fix posted that worked for all who had posted with the problem, so it may work for you too:

1. Hit "run" in the start menu
2. Type "regedit"
3. Open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger"
4. Delete the folder called MSN Messenger
5. After this MSN Messenger Live will login as normal.

or...

If you're not comfortable editing the registry, you can run this small reg. file posted by Jonathan Kay [MVP] which does the same thing as posted above:
Remove Messenger Settings

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by dan_corsa on 03-23-2009 at 11:19 AM

i just installed the new windows live messenger and since doing that i cannot sign in with my main email.

i can use my old one and my mates can sign in on it but not me.

ive done the regedit thing, ive uninstalled messenger and reinstalled it, tried clearing the cache.

still nothing.

the same error code keeps coming up.

8100030d

if anyone could help me sort this id be soooooooooo grateful because its been over a week now and its getting annoying.

thanks

Dan

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by duckydee on 03-24-2009 at 01:31 PM

I downloaded WLM 2009, and I can't sign in at all.
I uninstalled and reinstalled.
I tried to go back to 8.5 and update it.
There's nothing wrong with my connection, and it's all ticks in trouble shooter.
But the same error keeps on coming up:

Error code: 8008005

Please help !

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by krelos on 03-26-2009 at 07:30 PM

I tried ALL of the above and it STILL will not let me log into Windows Live Messenger.

Any other suggestions?

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by jeanschmit on 05-03-2009 at 10:35 PM

I tryed everything here too, and no lucky, any other Idea???

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by dan_corsa on 05-04-2009 at 01:46 AM

it dont make sense because iv unistalled it and reinstalled it and it wont work.

yet i can sign in on webmessenger,amsn, and on anyone else pc or laptop just not mine.

all other emails work on mine bar the one i use.

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Bluesette on 05-08-2009 at 02:58 AM

:D Thank you, Victoria.  I used your link and Voila'!  My life was back to normal.  Thanks.(Y)

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by rami on 07-10-2009 at 02:46 PM

I can't sign in to window live messenger version 2009 (build 14.0.8064.206)
Its giving me error # 81000306.

I deleted the msnmessenger from the registery as advised above and didnt work,also i flushdns in cmd also didnt work. and i stopped my firewall but useless.

Any ideas..:(

RE: RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by uHuRu1976 on 09-07-2009 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rami
I can't sign in to window live messenger version 2009 (build 14.0.8064.206)
Its giving me error # 81000306.

I deleted the msnmessenger from the registery as advised above and didnt work,also i flushdns in cmd also didnt work. and i stopped my firewall but useless.

Any ideas..:(

Yep, same here.
Suddenly all the live messengers on the computers in my office today start giving 81000306 error.
I asked my friend at the other hand of town. They are having the same problem as well.
I dunno but it's weird.

Meanwhile our second office has no problems with it.

Really confusing.

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by Xx-michii-xX on 09-11-2009 at 05:16 AM

i did every think you said but it still doesnt work.. =(

thing.. oopsie
RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by RALPHIE on 09-28-2009 at 01:26 AM

I HAVE A PROBLEM..... for 2 weeks now ive been trying to sign into my msn mesenger but it always tells me that signing in has temporarly faild but it hasnt come back i tryed to do what u told us but nothing works.....

any advice??  anyone? plz

RE: I can't seem to sign into Windows Live Messenger. by unclealister on 10-27-2009 at 10:41 AM

After downloading Windows Live Essentials to a new install of Windows 7 Home Premium I had the same problem and cured it by disabling the autotuning feature. My WLM is version 2009. The following routine also works with Windows VISTA.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories.

2. Right-click Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator.

3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. At the command prompt, type the following command, and press ENTER:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

5. This command disables the Receive Window Auto-Tuning feature.

6. Close the Command Prompt window.

7. Restart the computer.

If this does not cure your particular WLM sign-in problem, you can return autotuning to normal by typing

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

at the command prompt in the way as described above.