Shoutbox

Windows won't startup - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows won't startup (/showthread.php?tid=67441)

Windows won't startup by rav0 on 10-18-2006 at 11:04 AM

On my old computer, I added a second hard disk. It's detected fine.

Now, Windows won't start. Normally, and now still, it shows "Verifying DMI pool data" on a screen from the motherboard (Award or Phoenix BIOS I think) that looks like the one that shows the memory test (without the logos though, it's the screen after the one that has logos). If CD is before hard disk in the boot sequence and there is no bootable disk, it will show a message for that below "Verifying DMI pool data".

Normally, the Windows bootscreen will show after this Windows will load normally. It doesn't, the screen from the motherboard stays there with a flashing cursor under the last line.

RE: Windows won't boot by foaly on 10-18-2006 at 01:21 PM

try disableing the memory check in your bios...

RE: Windows won't boot by Adeptus on 10-18-2006 at 02:42 PM

My guess would be that the problem is one of the following:

1) There is some sort of a conflict between the added and existing hard drives.  Verify your master/slave jumper settings, try to put the other drive on a different IDE interface if possible.  Note that unlike most other brands, Western Digital drives have  different jumper settings for master with slave and single drive.

2) The computer is trying to boot from the just added hard drive, which may not have a valid MBR.   Verify your BIOS boot sequence.

RE: RE: Windows won't boot by rav0 on 10-19-2006 at 06:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
try disableing the memory check in your bios...

It already was. I enabled it, but it made no difference (other than the memory check is done and passes).

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
1) There is some sort of a conflict between the added and existing hard drives.  Verify your master/slave jumper settings, try to put the other drive on a different IDE interface if possible.  Note that unlike most other brands, Western Digital drives have  different jumper settings for master with slave and single drive.

They are correct. I had them set wrong (both master), and only one was getting detected, then I set one master and one slave, but the wrong way around, then I set it right. The not-booting was the same however I had it.

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
2) The computer is trying to boot from the just added hard drive, which may not have a valid MBR.   Verify your BIOS boot sequence.

It should have, but I was going to format it anyway. The boot sequence isn't very useful, because everything is described using default Windows drive letters (hard disk is "C", floppy is "A"). I messad about with enabling and disabling floppy (there is none) and CD ROM before and after hard disk with no success. Even without the second disk added, the problem is still there though.
RE: Windows won't boot by Vilkku on 10-19-2006 at 07:23 AM

Did you plug in the jumpers of the new HD correctly?

RE: RE: Windows won't boot by rav0 on 10-19-2006 at 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Did you plug in the jumpers of the new HD correctly?

Not at first, but I did the third time around.
RE: Windows won't boot by brian on 10-19-2006 at 08:40 PM

Are you sure of all the wiring is done correctly & try booting without the new "HDD" plugged in.

RE: Windows won't boot by foaly on 10-19-2006 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
They are correct. I had them set wrong (both master), and only one was getting detected, then I set one master and one slave, but the wrong way around, then I set it right. The not-booting was the same however I had it.

tried putting it isntead off slave cable-select?
RE: RE: Windows won't boot by rav0 on 10-20-2006 at 07:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brian
Are you sure of all the wiring is done correctly
Wiring? It's two plugh and I think that it's right (I've put in drives before).

quote:
Originally posted by brian
try booting without the new "HDD" plugged in.
I have, it didn't make a difference though.

quote:
I don't know if the cable supports it (and which way it goes). All the plugs are same, even for the motherboard plug.
RE: Windows won't boot by foaly on 10-20-2006 at 01:31 PM

quote:
    quote: Originally posted by foaly

I don't know if the cable supports it (and which way it goes). All the plugs are same, even for the motherboard plug.

no "cable-select" is a jumper setting... just like master and slave...
RE: RE: Windows won't boot by rav0 on 10-20-2006 at 11:08 PM

quote:
quote:
    quote: Originally posted by foaly

no "cable-select" is a jumper setting... just like master and slave...
I know that I can set the jumper to cable select, but then I need to use a cable select cable. The cable that I have is not colour coded, either as cable select or even like non-cable select cables. If the cable that I have is a cable select cable, I don't know which plug is which.