Shoutbox

Safe or unsafe - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Safe or unsafe (/showthread.php?tid=67834)

Safe or unsafe by EBFL on 10-29-2006 at 02:58 PM

If i want to download something, how can i be sure its safe 1st?

Also my friend said this is a good game:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/stickfigure.html
Is it safe?
Please help

RE: Safe or unsafe by Menthix on 10-29-2006 at 03:01 PM

Snapfiles/WebAttack is a nice download site, I use them a lot. safe.

RE: Safe or unsafe by EBFL on 10-29-2006 at 03:11 PM

Thank you Menthix but what about the rest of the question?
Also Can Anyone Else say what they think about the site? :D

RE: Safe or unsafe by Baggins on 10-29-2006 at 04:15 PM

use a friggin virus scanner

RE: Safe or unsafe by Lourix on 10-29-2006 at 04:22 PM

Well I wouldn´t download any exe files for a start because thats not safe zip files are alright because you can scan them before opening them but it all depends if you can trust the site.

RE: Safe or unsafe by Menthix on 11-02-2006 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
I wouldn´t download any exe files for a start because thats not safe zip files are alright because you can scan them before opening them
That doesn't make any sense, you can scan a .exe file just as easy before opening it as a .zip file and any other file. Just save the file and you can do whatever you want with it, as long as you don't execute/run (doubleclick) the file, there is no way a virus can do it's thing. Just accepting a (.exe) file transfer on MSN/WLM won't give a virus a chance either, you will still need to click the open link after the file transfer is complete so it can actually execute the code on your PC.

And even if you do open an .exe or any other file with an virus in it... every modern virusscanner that is properly configured will scan executable files for viruses before they are actually executed. Basically you never have to manually scan files for virusses. If you would try to run a file with a virus in it your virusscanner will see it and notify you while it prohibits the virus code from executing.
RE: Safe or unsafe by alexp2_ad on 11-02-2006 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
If i want to download something, how can i be sure its safe 1st?

Also my friend said this is a good game:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/stickfigure.html
Is it safe?
Please help

You get some random guy on a forum to download it and tell you that it seems fine.  (Y)
RE: Safe or unsafe by DJeX on 11-03-2006 at 01:41 AM

Yes thats a good program I've used it before (Y)

RE: Safe or unsafe by ryxdp on 12-09-2006 at 06:27 AM

Try McAfee SiteAdvisor.

Although it won't scan the downloaded file, it will very often provide info on the files.

:D

Hope this helps

RE: Safe or unsafe by John Anderton on 12-09-2006 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
You get some random guy on a forum to download it and tell you that it seems fine.  (Y)
:lol:
I nominate you for that job <3.
RE: Safe or unsafe by newbiesecurity on 12-09-2006 at 08:26 PM

You can check the url using SiteAdvisor site.  You can also do a google search on the file name and the word malware, virus, or spyware.  For example, "stickfigure spyware."  You can also submit the downloaded file to VirusTotal to see if any of the vendors are detecting it.

Hope this helps.

RE: Safe or unsafe by ins4ne on 12-09-2006 at 10:30 PM

I just downloaded the program because i was curious (a). It's safe. After DL i scanned and found... nothing :P. It makes lots of fun :cheesy:. You have to figure out some things but that takes 15-30 min. And after that it's your imagination's turn ;).

That makes me think of the XiaoXiao movies :grin:.

RE: Safe or unsafe by flanders56 on 12-11-2006 at 05:56 PM

i have that and i didnt get any viruses :P

EDIT: for causion i allways save zipped onto desktop and then give a wee scaning just in case :D

EDIT: most poor viruses file size is only like 1kb or sumthing XD easy to spot