Shoutbox

Important note about Windows Messenger 5 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 (/showthread.php?tid=6965)

Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Patchou on 03-28-2003 at 08:25 AM

Hello everyone,

I want to inform everyone NOT to install the beta version of Windows Messenger 5 currently available on the web.. it's very buggy, Messenger Plus! doesn't work with it (yet) and it could damage your Messenger configuration for ever except if you now how to repair to proper keys in your registry.

Please take this message seriously, thank you!
Patchou

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Mnjul on 03-28-2003 at 11:57 AM

Hey Patchou why don't you stick that at the top of this forum?

* Mnjul wants to know why lots of people want to test Messenger 5, since nobody invites them and they have few ways to get contact with Micro$oft to tell the bugs.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Wabz on 03-28-2003 at 01:06 PM

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Dwayne on 03-28-2003 at 03:30 PM

thnx Patchou! i had almost click the link yesterday, but i didn't had the time to download it... so thnx for the information.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Spiff on 03-28-2003 at 06:04 PM

I don't know what all this talk about the new Windows Messenger 5 is.. I must be living under a rock. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing out on here? lol, sorry.
I do have MSN Messenger 5, but that's not the same, or is it?

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Dwayne on 03-28-2003 at 06:55 PM

Some screenshots from ieXbeta.com: http://www.iexbeta.com/comments.php?id=216&catid=5

and the Review is somewhere on Neowin.net, i guess...

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Guido on 03-28-2003 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spiff
I don't know what all this talk about the new Windows Messenger 5 is.. I must be living under a rock. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing out on here? lol, sorry.

**** censored by administrator... nobody needs to download it :) ;) ****

Info and download.

Basically its the same (even worse) than Windows Msgr 4.7
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by imockyou on 03-29-2003 at 12:27 AM

i downlaoded it the other day i think, and its fine, and messenger plus runs on it perfectly.

RE: RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Mnjul on 03-29-2003 at 02:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gfd
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff

**** censored by administrator... nobody needs to download it :) ;) ****

Info and download.

Basically its the same (even worse) than Windows Msgr 4.7

lolz

even current Plus! works fine, i think it's more proper to wait Patchou to release a "really compatible" Plus!.
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Wabz on 03-29-2003 at 11:07 PM

I never got around to downloading it I think I'll be sticking with MSN messenger 4 for a long time yet

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by x0Christina0x on 03-30-2003 at 12:02 AM

I nEeD hElP uSiNg ThIs ThInG :\

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Guido on 03-30-2003 at 12:10 AM

Ouch, censored by admin? :S ok... sorry then :$

:bow:

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Extort on 04-01-2003 at 11:01 AM

WM5 is ugly and buggy as hell, it doesnt let you invite your contacts into a conversation properly :(

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by stuartlang on 04-02-2003 at 05:42 PM

yea, and u cant switch back to version 4.7 in some cases

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Dwayne on 04-02-2003 at 05:53 PM

lucky me, i never experienced WM5... (H)
and i will never experience it to!

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by clockthecow on 04-03-2003 at 03:17 AM

oh no! i installed messenger 5 already. HELP!

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by sock on 04-03-2003 at 11:24 AM

Just set it not to run when Windows starts or in the background, and use MSN Messenger 5 instead...... That's what I did, and it doesn't cause any trouble....(Y)

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by MoshaDevastator on 04-03-2003 at 12:40 PM

I still think that if messenger can screw up configuration files, they should not release it until it is thoroughly fixed. I've stuck with the old windows messenger [4.7 or 4.8]. I always do this until I know that the new version is fine.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by sock on 04-03-2003 at 01:16 PM

Microsoft didn't release it to the public, it was sort of leaked....

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by audio_pirate on 04-05-2003 at 07:45 AM

ok, im confused, i have messenger 5.0.0543 and plus! works fine with it. am i missing something here?

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by audio_pirate on 04-05-2003 at 07:47 AM

whats the difference between windows messenger and msn messenger? apart from the obvious.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by modoman on 04-05-2003 at 01:58 PM

Nothing i think

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by naughtyhaughty on 04-08-2003 at 11:04 PM

well i have msn 5 and msn plus and it works fine...i don't know what you are talking about!

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Guido on 04-08-2003 at 11:17 PM

Ok...
MSN Messenger 5 with Plus!2 works perfectly.
Windows Messenger 4.6+ with Plus!2 works perfectly
MSN Messenger 4.6~4.7 with Plus!2 works perfectly.
Windows Messenger 5 WILL WORK with Msgplus. Not yet.

Windows Messenger is the MSN Messenger version that comes bundled with XP, that with the release of MSN Messenger late last year was sort of replaced by many users by MSN Messenger 5. Windows Messenger 5 is the new version of that different client, which previously were very similar, but now WM is more business-oriented providing access to other services than .Net (standard messenger). Still, Windows Messenger 5 is in beta and has not yet been released. Though, it will work with the next version of Msgplus, but we dont suggest to download it cause its very buggy. You should keep Windows Messenger 4.7 or MSN Messenger 5. If you are not using Windows Xp, then nevermind, you can't install Windows messenger.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by sUnNiE03 on 04-10-2003 at 11:20 AM

But most of the people are using Version 5.0 of msn messenger...

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by sUnNiE03 on 04-10-2003 at 11:21 AM

windows messenger is the one that comes with windows XP rite?

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Mnjul on 04-10-2003 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sUnNiE03
But most of the people are using Version 5.0 of msn messenger...

But now we are talking abuot Windows Messenger 5 which is in beta test progress, not MSN Messenger 5 which is in stable versions.

quote:
Originally posted by sUnNiE03
windows messenger is the one that comes with windows XP rite?

Yes you're right;)

*When I say MSN Messenger 5 stable, I mean at least it's more stable than beta programs:lol:
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by dailo on 04-11-2003 at 04:54 PM

Help!
I installed Windows Messenger 5, and now I cant remove it.. just great. just great.    You can install 4.7, but when you restart, the setup automatically loads, anyone know where in the registry to stop this?

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by cheesecanboy on 04-14-2003 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by imockyou
i downlaoded it the other day i think, and its fine, and messenger plus runs on it perfectly.

Did you download MSN Messenger, or Windows Messenger?  They are two different programs.  Windows Messenger is for new comps, mostly Win. XP.
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by sock on 04-15-2003 at 01:54 PM

Windows Messenger works under Windows XP and any newer version of Windows. MSN Messenger works under any Windows system (and there's also a version for the Mac).

The final Messenger Plus! 2.0 version will work with Windows Messenger 5.

dailo, I had the same problem as you did.... Windows Messenger 5 kept starting up, but that problem will be gone in the final Plus! 2.0 release. However, I still don't know of a clean way to go back to Windows Messenger 4.7, but I don't care as I have a version of Plus! that is "Windows Messenger 5 friendly". :) so I use MSN Messenger 5 now anyway. :p

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Jonnerz on 04-20-2003 at 02:48 PM

i have messenger 5 but theres nothing buggy about it i dont get why you say its buggy

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by billywoods1 on 04-20-2003 at 09:43 PM

Let's get this straight.

MSN MESSENGER 5 WORKS PERFECTLY WITH PLUS. This is not leaked. This is not buggy (not buggier than the Microsoft standard, anyway). This is nothing to do with this thread.

WINDOWS MESSENGER 5 DOES NOT WORK WITH PLUS. This is illegally leaked. This is a beta and is extremely buggy. This is also the sort of thing you wouldn't just download without knowing it was leaked. :P

So if you have Windows Messenger 5 and it works with Plus, and it's not buggy, great, but uninstall it! If you have MSN Messenger 5, then Plus WORKS ALREADY. And it's probably not buggy.

And there's ALWAYS one with a huge avatar, isn't there? Your avatar takes up more space than the text! :blah:

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by karl_corrick on 04-23-2003 at 11:09 AM

I highly recommend to anyone who has installed *WINDOWS MESSENGER 5* :

Install A Small Program called Reg Cleaner 4.6 (can be found FREE on http://www.download.com, just search for Reg Cleaner)

Then select ALL registry keys with Windows Messenger, uninstall and clear the registry for MSN Messenger. This will clear you Registry with both of them. The all you have to do, via www.download.com again, is to install Windows Messenger 4.7, and MSN Messenger 5.0. Both of thses are stable, (cough cough) and will work with the lovely Messenger Plus! 2. :D

[no subject] by C.Bell on 04-24-2003 at 01:59 PM

How Do I Work This :S:S:S:S

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by jeanhub on 04-25-2003 at 11:52 AM

Hey guy what is the web site to download windows messenger5 beta for XP?

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Nique on 04-25-2003 at 01:32 PM

:) yeah, plus rulez!

RE: by billywoods1 on 04-25-2003 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by C.Bell
How Do I Work This :S:S:S:S

What???
RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by billywoods1 on 04-25-2003 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeanhub
Hey guy what is the web site to download windows messenger5 beta for XP?

The admins will just delete it if anyone posts it... I'm sure if you really really really want it, it'll be on Google somewhere. Problem is, it's buggy and MP2 doesn't work with it. :S
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by BillyBob on 04-28-2003 at 01:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1

The admins will just delete it if anyone posts it... I'm sure if you really really really want it, it'll be on Google somewhere. Problem is, it's buggy and MP2 doesn't work with it. :S

Windows Messenger 5 isn't more buggy than Windows Messenger 4.7 was on my computer. I am running it since mid March without any problems. The only thing I am missing is the history logging from MP2 but I was able to work around that by writing my own which appears to work with any version of Windows Messenger since 3.5 ;)
RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by BillyBob on 04-28-2003 at 01:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by karl_corrick
I highly recommend to anyone who has installed *WINDOWS MESSENGER 5* :

No thanks ;) I *love* the Tablet PC INK support in Windows Messenger 5 and I am not willing to give it away again. Also, Windows Messenger 5 is stable on my computer. Never crashed until today and I am running it for six weeks now.
RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by BillyBob on 04-28-2003 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by modoman
Nothing i think

In that case I assume you never tried both. Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger are quite different.
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by ¢¾ElizzA¢¾ on 04-30-2003 at 05:29 AM

Weeeeeeeeeelll..... i have Windows Messenger and i was wondering how to get the perfect one for MsgPlus. Coz wen i download it, it says you have got the wrong msn or i need to download this package, or i do not hav the administrator things or something. Do i need to be on the administrator user to download it and if i do will it work on mai user??

P.S PLEASE HELP MEE!!!!!!
LuV ElizzA..
P.S.S how do i use the emotes here???

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by ¢¾ElizzA¢¾ on 04-30-2003 at 05:58 AM

Ty

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by ¢¾ElizzA¢¾ on 04-30-2003 at 06:05 AM

Hey it says i need a setup package or something....my parents user has it coz it worked ther......im not the administrator.....do i hneed to be the admin

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by ¢¾ElizzA¢¾ on 04-30-2003 at 06:27 AM

no wait it says i cant download it even when im a admin...help me plez

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by mig on 05-10-2003 at 03:48 AM

I just disabled MsgPlus (on WM5.0.0149 the beta that's out), but this is because I'm testing for MS and well.... I suspect that MsgPlus might have been crashing WM5. I'm willing (as I'm sure other testers) to work with Patchou to resolve issues like this in future versions of MsgPlus/WM5.

- Mig

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Robinski on 05-12-2003 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mig
I just disabled MsgPlus (on WM5.0.0149 the beta that's out), but this is because I'm testing for MS and well.... I suspect that MsgPlus might have been crashing WM5. I'm willing (as I'm sure other testers) to work with Patchou to resolve issues like this in future versions of MsgPlus/WM5.

- Mig

I am downloading it now as I am typing this...
if it isn't working fine I would like to help out Patchou to resolve issues...

Just e-Mail me or PM me (I prefere e-Mail)
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by --lucky-charm-- on 05-21-2003 at 02:00 AM

I downloaded it and just like IMOCKYOU said, it works fine. Plus! works on it and i haven't come up with any problems yet. Ive had it for awhile now and i haven't noticed anything at all. I thinks its ok to download so... yeah lol

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by omnicide on 05-22-2003 at 01:07 PM

i would NOT download windows messenger 5.0 it does NOT uninstall in windows XP. if you uninstall it, when u reboot it will install itself again. DO NOT INSTALL IT! Stick with msn messenger! 6.0 is coming out soon anyway!

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Mnjul on 05-22-2003 at 01:24 PM

according to Patchou, I wouldn't suggest using MSN Messenger 6 unless he finds some way to improve the compatibility.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=10719

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Jeeky on 05-29-2003 at 05:12 AM

Well, what if you already downloaded Messenger 6 but want to go back to to messenger 5??

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by sock on 05-29-2003 at 05:27 AM

Jeeky, if you are talking about MSN Messenger 6.0 and MSN Messenger 5.0, then you must first uninstall MSN Messenger 6.0 (from Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs), then just download and install MSN Messenger 5.0 from http://messenger.msn.com. The latest version in there is 5.0, since 6.0 is still Beta software.

Thanks to lucky7 for pointing this out (see 3 posts below)! :)

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Jeeky on 05-29-2003 at 07:34 PM

thanx Sock

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Seow Yan Yi on 06-02-2003 at 08:17 AM

Does anyone know how to upgrade our MSN version???<sock>

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by lucky7 on 06-02-2003 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sock
Jeeky, if you are talking about MSN Messenger 6 and MSN Messenger 5, just download and reinstall MSN Messenger from http://messenger.msn.com. The latest version there is 5, since 6 is still Beta software. It should override the installation of version 6.

MSN Messenger 5 wont overide MSN 6 you have to completely uninstall MSN 6 and then Reinstall MSN 5 or else it says it has detected a newer version on your computer.
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by dotNorma on 06-12-2003 at 11:27 PM

ummm ok.i wont....okey dokey....prefer Msn Messenger anyway

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Anonymous on 06-21-2003 at 04:46 PM

But i already have that

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Wick on 06-24-2003 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sock
Jeeky, if you are talking about MSN Messenger 6.0 and MSN Messenger 5.0, then you must first uninstall MSN Messenger 6.0 (from Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs), then just download and install MSN Messenger 5.0 from http://messenger.msn.com. The latest version in there is 5.0, since 6.0 is still Beta software.

Thanks to lucky7 for pointing this out (see 3 posts below)! :)

I NEEEEEEEDDDD HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPP !!!!!!!
I NEEEEEEEDDDD HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPP !!!!!!!

I attempted to uninstall MSN 6.0, and wanted to go back to MSN 5, cos 6 is a BETA at the mo. So i attempted to get rid of it. Unfortunatly I can't cos IT AINT ON ADD/REMOVE programs :'() So it keeps saying that there is a better verison !!

PLEASE HELP ME !!!! EMAIL ME !! THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO CAN HELP !! :'( :'( > wickdaman@hotmail.com
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by meolas_girl on 06-24-2003 at 07:06 PM

i'm having hte same problem wick and it isnt on add/remove programs.  i dont know what to do now.  everything about msn messenger on my computer has been deleted but it still works on other peoples computers.  i dont know what to do now.  if anyone knows plzzz e mail me at:  scn18_luv5@hotmail.com
thank you
sarah

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by pisces866 on 06-24-2003 at 07:45 PM

check mail in 10-15 minutes,will explain

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Kortex on 07-01-2003 at 11:13 AM

looking at the screenshots, can someone tell me whats new? still think win messenger sucks ^_^

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Guranga on 07-05-2003 at 10:04 AM

I have never even heard of windows messenger 5.0.....messenger 6.0 beta, yes *frowns*

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Pr0xY on 07-07-2003 at 05:57 PM

thanks patchou

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by crazihouse on 07-10-2003 at 07:01 AM

thanks for the warning:P

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by crack_monkey on 07-13-2003 at 01:03 PM

Dude what's all this talk about msngr5?:S i'm currently downloading 6:>

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by crack_monkey on 07-13-2003 at 01:03 PM

Dude what's all this talk about msngr5?:S i'm currently downloading 6:>

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by Choli on 07-13-2003 at 02:42 PM

What you are donwloading is MSN messenger 6, not Windows messenger 5 :)

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by dark_regent498 on 07-15-2003 at 02:27 PM

I have had version 5 for a long time it has allways worked windows mess that is now msn 6 sucks.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by crack_monkey on 07-17-2003 at 02:09 PM

dude 6.0 rules! and it works fine with the new plus

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by theguy on 07-21-2003 at 04:48 PM

hopefully it will be released soon.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by johngalt on 07-25-2003 at 10:55 AM

lol - a lot of ppl still don't get the difference here.

MSN Messenger 6 is for ppl to freely download and use as a chat client / file sharing client etc. by anyone anywhere - it features a lot of cutesy options like backgrounds, lots more emoticons, etc.

Windows messenger (currently working on Release candidate 2 (5.0.337)  Is geared more towards business users of the Micro$oft Exchange messaging service and Win NT/2K/XP Messaging capabilities that are going to be (supposedly) enhanced in Windows 2003 Server.

You cannot download and install Windows Messenger unless you already have it on your computer - I.E. it came with your version of Windows XP / Server 2003.

You *CAN* download MSN Messenger onto just about any computer running any version of windows.

And BTW, Patchou - know I am a newbie and all (at least here) but Plus! 2.20 runs great with RC2 .337.

One more sneaky thing - all people currently running Windows Messenger 4.x - if they try to "upgrade" now to Windows messenger 4.7, or try to find the MSN add-ins to extend functionality, like being able to check email, then they are directed to the new MSN Messenger 6.  Just for that reason alone I will not download and install MSN Messenger 6 - b/c a little hunting will show you the files are still intact on their servers and still available for download.

Thought you would like to know.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by EvilSeph on 07-25-2003 at 05:44 PM

MSN Messenger will become 2 versions in the future, one for subscribers with more features, and one for normal people, known as the "lite" version.

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by jenkin2k on 07-28-2003 at 03:33 PM

u sure about that ?? 
i guess it wont matter ... plus will add the necessary we need ... mayb patchou will add the features in the subscribers version in plus for the lite version ( me the dreamer !! )

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by jeanhub on 07-28-2003 at 07:26 PM

yeah windows mess 5 sux lol

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by EvilSeph on 07-28-2003 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jenkin2k
u sure about that ?? 
i guess it wont matter ... plus will add the necessary we need ... mayb patchou will add the features in the subscribers version in plus for the lite version ( me the dreamer !! )

urm, that'll be illegal :P so no, your dreams are too far-fetched :P Patchou can't do that, because he doesn't want to.
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by kao on 07-28-2003 at 11:08 PM

thats gonna be gay if they make it into 2 versions :( they'll prob stop adding new stuff to the 'lite' version but just fix bugs, but they'll do all new stuff for the subscriber :@ meh, who cares, MSN 6 is good enough for me!

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by jenkin2k on 07-30-2003 at 10:27 AM

version 6 is plenty but what about the annoying " new version availabe " pop ups that we have to go thro as to when they do come up with next version .... n i guess it will come with a lot more adwares ... who knows it might also b an ad factory ...

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by EvilSeph on 07-31-2003 at 12:03 AM

just bug matty to make a newer version of his update blocker (if it doesn't work with new versions :P)

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by H@t Trick on 07-31-2003 at 06:29 AM

is this why msn 5 works fine for me but i get what i assume are pointer errors (memory address errors) when ever i try to open windows messenger 4.7 or after msn 6.0 logs in?

RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by jenkin2k on 07-31-2003 at 07:52 AM

i dont get such errors ... i use both msn messenger 6.0.602 .. n windows messenger 4.7 .. i log into both n never have any problems  ....

RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by johngalt on 07-31-2003 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeanhub
yeah windows mess 5 sux lol

And have you tried Windows Messenger 5?
RE: RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by EvilSeph on 07-31-2003 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jenkin2k
i dont get such errors ... i use both msn messenger 6.0.602 .. n windows messenger 4.7 .. i log into both n never have any problems  ....

Same here
RE: Important note about Windows Messenger 5 by gaimboy on 08-06-2003 at 03:07 PM

there is only one thing for me that would make me want to upgrade, the ability to sign in in 'appear offline' mode.  if i had that i'd have msn starting up on boot like icq