Shoutbox

Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online (/showthread.php?tid=70073)

Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by lucavilla on 12-30-2006 at 06:13 PM

I'm searching for a script that alerts me with an EMAIL when a specified contact goes online.
I don't find it.
Do you confirm that it doesn't exist?

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by Spunky on 12-30-2006 at 06:21 PM

It doesn't exist, but it should be VERY easy to make... I'm sure that someone can put a simple script together for this (I'm really busy atm)

Why do yhou want it as an email though? I don't see the purpose of that (might just be being dumb)

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by lucavilla on 12-30-2006 at 10:24 PM

If it help, I offer $20 via Paypal for such a script ;)

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by DeKoVV on 12-30-2006 at 10:44 PM

You can create this in Plus! preferences, customize, event notification ;)

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by EBFL on 12-30-2006 at 10:46 PM

Urm, there is a way to show you when a contact is online and its not a script but it doesnt alert you by email.
If you want it anyway just:
Right click the contact > Messenger Plus! Features > Event Notifications > Create New Notification.

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by Deco on 12-30-2006 at 10:56 PM

That's the best way in my opinion I've tried both ways.

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by Spunky on 12-30-2006 at 10:56 PM

If you're not going to be online, you could get it to send a message to yourself (I seem to get email copies of offline messages so I assume others do)

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by CookieRevised on 12-30-2006 at 11:00 PM

If you're not online, then such a script wouldn't work either...

And if you are online (in whatever status), you can always revert to your event log and sort on contacts comming online.

If the argument is that after a crash or something you still want to know who came online before the crash, then again the events log will fix this since it can be saved to a file....

I don't quite see the purpose of the email notification either... Except for the case that you're far away from your computer (other town) and you need to keep track of who logs in. But in that case, a remote handling script can do this too, or even remote assistance, or any other remote tool or variant...

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by lucavilla on 12-30-2006 at 11:22 PM

"Plus! preferences, customize, event notification" only offers Popup and Sound notifications. No email option.  :(

"Right click the contact > Messenger Plus! Features > Event Notifications > Create New Notification" only offers Popup and Sound notifications. No email option.  :(

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by Spunky on 12-30-2006 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lucavilla
"Plus! preferences, customize, event notification" only offers Popup and Sound notifications. No email option.  :(

"Right click the contact > Messenger Plus! Features > Event Notifications > Create New Notification" only offers Popup and Sound notifications. No email option.  :(

I'm sorry, do you actually read what people have said, or do you just scan the posts for a "quick fix"? People do not know the use of such a function and Cookie even suggested using the Event Logs that come with Plus!
RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by lucavilla on 12-30-2006 at 11:30 PM

The purpose of receiving the notification via email is this:

At home I leave my PC connected with MSN Messenger.
At work I can receive emails but I can't run MSN Messenger using the standard Internet connection because it's filtered.
If an important friend comes online I want to be notified by an email while I'm at work so that I can connect with a secondary dial-up line just for a chat with this friend.

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by ragnar on 01-02-2007 at 09:35 AM

Dear lucavilla,

I have exactly the same need as you (though I need a notification for another purpose). I find it amazing that Live messenger does not include the possiblity to run a command upon an alert (maybe V9.0 ?)

Playing a sound or displaying a pop-up is fine, but running a command  triggered by an event is the only way to build an automated process.

So far the only way I've found to do that is to install a small software called StatusChangedNotifier, which includes this feature (among others). It lets you run a command (.exe or .bat or whatever executable file).

you can download it here (it's a freeware)
http://www.01net.com/telecharger/windows/Internet.../fiches/32492.html

The only problem is that I've some doubts about the stability of the program. Sometimes it works and sometimes not --> check it yourself

I'm still looking for a more stable tool, but meanwhile it can help.

If you manage to find one, please let me know.

Best regards & best wishes

RE: RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by Jesus on 01-02-2007 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ragnar
I have exactly the same need as you (though I need a notification for another purpose). I find it amazing that Live messenger does not include the possiblity to run a command upon an alert (maybe V9.0 ?)

Playing a sound or displaying a pop-up is fine, but running a command  triggered by an event is the only way to build an automated process.

I happen to be currently working on a script that can do that ;)
RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by ragnar on 01-03-2007 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
I happen to be currently working on a script that can do that ;)

Thanks Jesus for your help.

In the meantime I'm reading the documentation about Scripting so that I may understand what you code ;)

RE: Script that alerts me when specified friends in MSN Messenger go online by Jesus on 01-17-2007 at 04:07 PM

I just released a first functional version: get it here

edit: now all you still need is a command to send an email to yourself ;)