Shoutbox

Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? (/showthread.php?tid=70076)

Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by Thor on 12-30-2006 at 08:04 PM

Hi :>

So, here it is.

I want my USB storage disk to be like an U3 disk. I don't know if that is possible. I have no experience with U3. However, I was thinking if it is possible to change the info about the disk, and plausible the files, so that you can have a U3.

Is it possible?
If it is, how?

Thanks, Nitro.
:)

RE: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by Baggins on 12-30-2006 at 08:30 PM

Not really, unless your computer allows autorun from removable discs.  When you insert it, it first installs a CD dive to autorun the launch pad.  If you can figure some way to autorun I may be able to halp on account of getting one for christmas.

RE: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by Thor on 12-30-2006 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
Not really, unless your computer allows autorun from removable discs.  When you insert it, it first installs a CD dive to autorun the launch pad.  If you can figure some way to autorun I may be able to halp on account of getting one for christmas.
I have that on my USB Disk :P Autorun isn't a problem :P
RE: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by nod32 on 12-30-2006 at 11:52 PM

What is u3?

RE: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by Zahid™ on 12-31-2006 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nod32
What is u3?
Heard of Google?
RE: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by Thor on 12-31-2006 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nod32
What is u3?
www.u3.com

It looks like you should be able to just swap some files... :/
RE: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by Menthix on 12-31-2006 at 11:57 AM

A lot of apps, like Firefox, Open Office and such already have (un-official) portable versions which can run on a USB disk without U3, and many smaller apps can run on a USB disk when you just copy the files to it after installing.

I have a disk with U3 support, but removed the U3 stuff pretty quick.

RE: Possible to have U3 disk, without really having one? by Thor on 12-31-2006 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
ce and such already have (un-official) portable versions which can run on a USB disk without U3, and many smaller apps can run on a USB disk when you just c
I know. I have the portableapps suite on my usb, I like it. :)

But I still want to try the U3, because it has some stuff that a normal usb disk doesn't have. :)