Shoutbox

[preview] Messenger Plus Skin! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! (/showthread.php?tid=70573)

[preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-11-2007 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
We have come across some problems with Plus! hard coding some stuffinto the window all the time making it impossible for it to beskinable.  There is going to be somewhat of a delay in that regarduntil we find all that is wrong and inform Patchou and wait for a laterrelease of MP!L with this feature fixed.  Until then we will continuework on the skin and hope that we won't have to do too much extra workto make the new skin usable.  I'm sorry for this sad news, just doesn'tlook like Patchou thought ahead (or maybe we're doing something wrong :P).

^^ please read ^^

Ok well i have decided to make my own skin for Messenger Plus! Live (well markee and me) and there are 2 reason why im posting it here:
  • i. we want to know opinions on the skin design
    B) let people know we are working on a whole new look for MP!L
    • to start people on the track for making skins so it just isnt the default (boring! |-))
    2... to remind me that im working on this seeing as Eljay (or Elgay) hasnt made the reminder script (:dodgy:) (WORK ON IT NOW!!!!11!!ONEonE!)

this image was only done in paint because i was wanting it to look a new type of image (web 0.2.0) but will be made better later when i get time (after completing some scripts / tutorials / other random stuff / playing games / you dont care any more / becoming a beta tester / slapping patchou / spamming ([Image: bobblespam.gif] :cheesy:) / etc...)...

quote:
How about this for an idea.  If you really don't like the design then can we have a design by you.  Remember it has to be possible with MP!L windows so you can only use rectangles for the main window frame and the child windows (for the tabs and the main options areas).  The design that NanaFreak and I decide to be the best by the time we are ready to make the skin will be the one that is made.  Do you like that for an idea?
please post your ideas and i will choose the best few and make them =D

suggested:
Eljay Style: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=70...d=777434#pid777434 (posted there)

my preview :cheesy: :grin:

[Image: plus%20skin%20v3.png]

[Image: plus%20skin%20v2.png] [Image: attachment.php?pid=777093]

ps look at name... it is: Plus skin web 0.2.0 beta beta alpha beta by markee and nanafreak.png.gif.jpg.bmp.plsc.exe.rar.zip.js.php.txt....nana.rox.you.all...the.cat.sat.on.the.mat....wait.no.it.was.da.hood.mutha.fukas....i.love.flamin.lamers.jpg
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Felu on 01-11-2007 at 02:36 PM

It might come out to be nice though the screenshot sucks [Image: msn_sad.gif].

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
Attachment: Plus skin web 0.2.0 beta beta alpha beta by markee and nanafreak.png.gif.jpg.bmp.plsc.exe.rar.zip.js.php.txt....nana.rox (100.22 KB)
* Felu slaps NanaFreak around a bit with a large trout.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Kenji on 01-11-2007 at 02:37 PM

ew.

Original design > *

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by markee on 01-11-2007 at 02:42 PM

That design looks really crap because NanaFreak wanted to do it in Paint rather than PaintShop Pro like I wanted him too [Image: dodgy.gif]

What I did on paper looks a who lot better.  Atm, you just have to look at it a a basic structure that will be worked upon I guess.  I just wish NanaFreak would have taken things a little ore seriously with the preview design though.  I am also going to help NanaFreak out with finishing up a few of his current projects so we can work on this as soon as possible (I'm sure it is going to take a lot of work).

Please don't be so premature with saying how you feel about it and try to be more constructive.  Also the colours aren't going to be so harsh, they were just the basic ones in paint thats all.

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by foaly on 01-11-2007 at 02:44 PM

I like the idea off making a skin... but posting that paint image was just pointless...

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Oxy on 01-11-2007 at 04:50 PM

quote:
PaintShop Pro

Make him do it in that, or do yourself and upload..
the paint preview really sucks
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Matti on 01-11-2007 at 05:04 PM

I'm just thinking... MemSkin can patch any program when you just change the file location in More Options. So, you could create a MemSkin for Plus! :D

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Eljay on 01-11-2007 at 05:46 PM

quote:
2... to remind me that im working on this seeing as Eljay (or Elgay) hasnt made the reminder script (:dodgy:) (WORK ON IT NOW!!!!11!!ONEonE!)

As soon as you make a nice looking skin, I'll make Task Scheduler <3 :P
RE: RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by CookieRevised on 01-11-2007 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
I'm just thinking... MemSkin can patch any program when you just change the file location in More Options. So, you could create a MemSkin for Plus! :D
It doesn't quite work that way for Plus!.

Plus! skins don't work the same as skins like in Messenger.

Either way, it would be useless to use a program like MemSkin to do exactly the same as if you would do it directly within Plus! and its interface files. No need for MemSkin at all...

Memskin is only usefull when a program like Messenger does not provide a skinning engine or isn't made with skinning in mind.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Jimbo on 01-11-2007 at 07:34 PM

Skins sounds good although if it looks like that screenshot i doubt anyone will download it :lol:

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by duck! on 01-11-2007 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
looks like that screenshot
I quite like the paint preview it looks nice and retro :P
I would download any skin for MP!L i am bored of the default.

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by prashker on 01-11-2007 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
ew.

Original design > *

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Kenji on 01-11-2007 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
quote:
Just a question.

Why would you just sit there looking at the prefs window anyway..
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Thor on 01-11-2007 at 09:06 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by duck!
quote:
Just a question.

:lol:

"It's so beatifull.. <3"
*person stares at preferences window*
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vaccination on 01-11-2007 at 09:30 PM

Why does everyone keep bashing the default skin? =/

anyway, can't wait to see a real preview. ;o

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Thor on 01-11-2007 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Why does everyone keep bashing the default skin? =/

anyway, can't wait to see a real preview. ;o
A real previw would be nice, I'd like to try it out :D
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Voldemort on 01-11-2007 at 09:35 PM

default>*

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Rolando on 01-11-2007 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Skins sounds good although if it looks like that screenshot i doubt anyone will download it

Yeah, that paint preview really sucks :p

quote:
Just a question.

I agree.

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-12-2007 at 12:52 AM

ok well im about halfway with a real preview.... markee and i have had heaps of ideas for it and well we have decided on them now so it will be here in a day or 2 ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
As soon as you make a nice looking skin, I'll make Task Scheduler <3 :P
ok

quote:
Skins sounds good although if it looks like that screenshot i doubt anyone will download it :lol:
its not going to look anything like that
RE: RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by markee on 01-12-2007 at 02:35 AM

quote:
ok well im about halfway with a real preview.... markee and i have had heaps of ideas for it and well we have decided on them now so it will be here in a day or 2 ;)

He is refering to the preview, not the skin :dodgy:
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-12-2007 at 03:57 AM

NEW PREVIEW!!!

ok this is only a preview and will be changed a lot to make it fit nice into plus! more.

well here it is:

[Image: plus%20skin%20v2.png]

note: updating first post

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by ShawnZ on 01-12-2007 at 04:00 AM

that one is pretty ugly too

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Kenji on 01-12-2007 at 04:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
that one is pretty ugly too
Agreed.

Id rather stick to the default.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by CookieRevised on 01-12-2007 at 04:09 AM

Ugly or not... it is a skin... and the first one existing.

Which on its own would be good to show as an example to people wanting to make Plus! skins.

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Weyzza on 01-12-2007 at 07:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Which on its own would be good to show as an example to people wanting to make Plus! skins.
Agreed.

It'd be really cool if someone could make any skin from MPL! fake GUI Contest. :p
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Dempsey on 01-12-2007 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Ugly or not... it is a skin... and the first one existing.

Yea any skins would be good.  I might try and get around to putting some info together about making some skins to put on MPSkins.net to try and encourage people to make some skins.
quote:
Originally posted by Weyzza
It'd be really cool if someone could make any skin from MPL! fake GUI Contest. :p
Yea, especially Eljays, that I ended using as design for MPSounds/MPScripts/MPSupport :P

[Image: attachment.php?pid=608182]
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by markee on 01-12-2007 at 09:43 AM

How about this for an idea.  If you really don't like the design then can we have a design by you.  Remember it has to be possible with MP!L windows so you can only use rectangles for the main window frame and the child windows (for the tabs and the main options areas).  The design that NanaFreak and I decide to be the best by the time we are ready to make the skin will be the one that is made.  Do you like that for an idea?

EDIT: Eljay's cannot be done without having some background in the window too (we can't have the tabs just sitting of the side, its just not possible).

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Chestah on 01-12-2007 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
Yea, especially Eljays, that I ended using as design for MPSounds/MPScripts/MPSupport

LJ, whereever you are.. you still rock my world <3

so yeah. LJs for sure :P
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-12-2007 at 03:15 PM

I've had a go at adapting the "Eljay style" and have update the first screenshot with it.  There was a minor issue that he had the left tabs sitting off the side and that I had to switch the top and left tabs just to make it usable for MP!L rather than MP! 3.xx .  Please tell me what you think and if you would rather something different (if so please provide your suggestion for everyone to critique).

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vaccination on 01-12-2007 at 05:38 PM

I think it'll look quite good, providing you get the right colours and stuffs.

I rather like just the fact your making a skin, and i just wana see the outcome, whatever it looks like :P

gj (Y)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Eljay on 01-12-2007 at 05:51 PM

if youre gonna base it on mine use my improved one not my first attempt:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=609022]

or my office 2007 rip-off inspired concept:
<3 Plik for sending it back to me after i lost it :P
[Image: attachment.php?pid=777518]

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vaccination on 01-12-2007 at 05:52 PM

:drool:

the office one is hot!

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Thor on 01-12-2007 at 06:44 PM

quote:
:drool:

the office one is hot!
So trye.. :drool: Make a vista one :cheesy:
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Matti on 01-12-2007 at 06:57 PM

Omg! No vista! Black doesn't fit Messenger.
WE WANT MESSENGER PLUS! LIVE OFFICE EDITION!!! :D

If you ever need help, feel free to PM me! :)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Mnjul on 01-12-2007 at 08:11 PM

Wow, finally some people are on this...

I'd predict this would create another era for Messenger Plus! :P

Anyway, nice jobs and I'm highly looking forward to the new skins ;)

(Btw, please make sure you have enough space for the controls so that when their text is translated, the new text fits too)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Kenji on 01-12-2007 at 09:44 PM

quote:
rly?

I think something to go with the evo skin would look good, even though i dont think its worth it. but black > you.

evo skin thing
RE: RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by markee on 01-13-2007 at 04:32 AM

Eljay's designs FTW. :drool:

We'll start work on this after we get our website up and running... (shouldn't be too long I don't think).

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-13-2007 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
(Btw, please make sure you have enough space for the controls so that when their text is translated, the new text fits too)
already thought of that when making the previews ;)

quote:
if youre gonna base it on mine use my improved one not my first attempt
i had to modify it to be the MP!L style and also work with the MP!L windows (you cant have the blank spaces) so that is what i can up with ;)

quote:
or my office 2007 rip-off inspired concept
will try to do it too... i think it will be easier than the other one.

quote:
x 99999 :zippy:

quote:
I rather like just the fact your making a skin, and i just wana see the outcome, whatever it looks like

quote:
We'll start work on this after we get our website up and running... (shouldn't be too long I don't think).
actually i will start work on the skin tonight ;)
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by absorbation on 01-13-2007 at 10:38 PM

I personally belive you will find it a huge challenge to make a good skin for Messenger Plus! Live. It's good because it's meant to look like Messenger. If anything I suggest making it look more like Messenger i.e. adding the Windows Live effects.

Good luck with the skin :)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by markee on 01-14-2007 at 06:08 AM

We have come across some problems with Plus! hard coding some stuffinto the window all the time making it impossible for it to beskinable.  There is going to be somewhat of a delay in that regarduntil we find all that is wrong and inform Patchou and wait for a laterrelease of MP!L with this feature fixed.  Until then we will continuework on the skin and hope that we won't have to do too much extra workto make the new skin usable.  I'm sorry for this sad news, just doesn'tlook like Patchou thought ahead (or maybe we're doing something wrong [Image: msn_tongue.gif]).

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by plus on 01-14-2007 at 04:02 PM

How do you make skins like that

RE: RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by markee on 01-14-2007 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .2007
How do you make skins like that

Those pictures are nothing more than images to work from.  However to make a skin you need to make the xml like in a Plus! scripting window and put it in a folder called "Interface" (or it might be "Interfaces" :$) which is the the MP!L folder.  And finally when you restart messenger then it should all be updated and ready to use (assuming you aren't having problems of any kind, however it wouldn't be an adventure without them).
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by plus on 01-14-2007 at 10:44 PM

where is the mp!L folder

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vaccination on 01-14-2007 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .2007
where is the mp!L folder

o.o

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live(\Interface)
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Eljay on 01-14-2007 at 10:53 PM

quote:
We have come across some problems with Plus! hard coding some stuffinto the window all the time making it impossible for it to beskinable.  There is going to be somewhat of a delay in that regarduntil we find all that is wrong and inform Patchou and wait for a laterrelease of MP!L with this feature fixed.  Until then we will continuework on the skin and hope that we won't have to do too much extra workto make the new skin usable.  I'm sorry for this sad news, just doesn'tlook like Patchou thought ahead (or maybe we're doing something wrong [Image: msn_tongue.gif]).

From my experience with trying to skin Plus!, there is only one thing I could find that was not skinnable, the <TitleBar> elements background.
All that is needed is for Patchou to add an optional Style attribute or something so we can change the TitleBar background colour.
If there is anything else you have found to be un-skinnable then list them here so we can compile a proper list to submit to Patchou as suggestions to the skinning engine.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-15-2007 at 06:56 AM

quote:
quote:

From my experience with trying to skin Plus!, there is only one thing I could find that was not skinnable, the <TitleBar> elements background.
All that is needed is for Patchou to add an optional Style attribute or something so we can change the TitleBar background colour.
If there is anything else you have found to be un-skinnable then list them here so we can compile a proper list to submit to Patchou as suggestions to the skinning engine.
well i havent gotten that far yet :tongue:, but swo far i think in the XML you should be able to define the position on the Child windows ;) and also when skinning the MP!L toast it makes them REALLY dodgy (screenshots :zippy:)

[Image: before.png] to ==> [Image: after.png]

so the list now is:

1. not skinnable, the <TitleBar> elements background
  2. MP!L toasts adding stuff

also one more thing is that when you try and change the left "tabs" in the prefs window i didnt wantssome things so si just did <!-- --> around them and then it wouldnt load the prefs window :/

eljay should we make a thread for suggestions on the XML stuff for plus? i have a few things that i would like to add
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Eljay on 01-15-2007 at 08:17 AM

Actually the toast problem is just because the text isnt set when you create it yourself, if you do Interop.Call('user32', 'SetWindowTextW', YourWnd.Handle, "Title") it will set the TitleBar text and the background will appear (but as i mentioned previously, you cant change this background).

And when removing anything from the window you need to be careful because if it is needed, Plus! will try to set the text or whatever of the control and if you have removed it, the window won't load.

What I guess Plus! does in order:
1. Plus! creates the window hidden
2. It tries setting the text of the control you have removed and an error occurs.
3. It tries making the window visible. (never gets this far because of the error at part 2)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Patchou on 01-22-2007 at 01:04 AM

I like the idea of having skins for Messenger Plus!, I never talked about it much but the software is designed for it, you just have to put your XML files in the Interface directory. If you have some particular problems, just send me an email at mplus@patchou.com (if nobody else can help you the forum, I'm not very fast in replying my mails these days, I have just too many).

Keep on going :). If you do something good and complete, send it to me and I'll put it on msgpluslive.net :)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Menthix on 01-22-2007 at 03:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
having skins for Messenger Plus!, I never talked about it much but the software is designed for it
New MP!L version with full skinning support that can also skin WLM without messing with WLM's files.... nooowwww!!! :p
RE: RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by deAd on 01-22-2007 at 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
having skins for Messenger Plus!, I never talked about it much but the software is designed for it
New MP!L version with full skinning support that can also skin WLM without messing with WLM's files.... nooowwww!!! :p

Use MemSkin+. It's powerful, can do what you want, and it's possible to transfer existing skins to a format that it can read :) It can also skin other programs if you provide a compatible resource file (y)

EDIT: Yes, I do realize you were joking ;)
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Menthix on 01-22-2007 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
I do realize you were joking
Not eniterly TBH. I know about MemSkin, but the major problem with it is that no skinners seem to use it and normal people hardly know about its existence. Just two skins for outdated messenger clients on their site isn't helping much either.

I was kinda referring to a topic Patchou posted on the beta forum back in April 2006 where he said he might add a feature for full WLM skinning to Plus! somewhere in the future.

I still think that may be a very popular feature if done right, memskin just doesn't seem to be able to attract users :(.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Dempsey on 01-22-2007 at 02:36 PM

quote:

I still think that may be a very popular feature if done right, memskin just doesn't seem to be able to attract users :(.
Yea its a real shame, but if it was ever to become a Plus! feature I'm sure it would become very popular, as there are already Millions of users.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vikke on 01-22-2007 at 02:39 PM

TheSteve should have made it as a MessengerPlus! Script :)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-22-2007 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
i dont really think that it would be good like that... because patchou needs to do some serious work to be able to skin WLM....

also i think the idea is good (Y)

i will be continuing to make my skin but due to some problems i will not be able to finish without patchous help ;)
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vikke on 01-22-2007 at 02:45 PM

Ask the question here, I might be able to help you :).
And not really much work, it's normal work, like he does on every feature.
He made it "like MemSkin+" to add the button to the Messenger skin :).
There hasn't been any new features a long time now, this is a great one!

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-22-2007 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Ask the question here, I might be able to help you :).
i dont think you would... because it is to do with how plus is made and that ;)
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vikke on 01-22-2007 at 04:11 PM

Hehe omg just say the question, :)
I can tell you one thing, I know more than you think :D

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-22-2007 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Hehe omg just say the question, :)
I can tell you one thing, I know more than you think :D
ok well its to do with making the xml have positions for child windows (didnt send... forgot about it :P) and also that when you skin a toast... as i said before (LINK) it adds a title to it which screws it up ;) now do you know how to fix it.... im sure patchou does... so just leave it to him... and i know a fair bit about the xml stuff....
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vikke on 01-22-2007 at 04:37 PM

If you want it to have white background try changing:

code:
            <Element xsi:type="FigureElement" Id="FigBkg1">
                <Position Top="20" Left="0" Height="15" Width="150"/>
                <Figure><Rectangle/></Figure>
                <Fill>
                    <LinearGradient Angle="90">
                        <Color1><Red>255</Red><Green>255</Green><Blue>255</Blue><Alpha>120</Alpha></Color1>
                        <Color2><Red>255</Red><Green>255</Green><Blue>255</Blue><Alpha>50</Alpha></Color2>
                    </LinearGradient>
                </Fill>
            </Element>

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Matti on 01-22-2007 at 05:52 PM

quote:
People have asked him before to let it integrate with Messenger Plus! (Live), but he had several reasons not to do this:
  • The Plus! scripting API has no big advantages over stand-alone programs which MemSkin+ could use.
  • If someone wanted to skin his/her Messenger without Plus! Live (yes, there are such people, but not that I know) they'd be forced to install Plus! just for skinning WLM.
  • Some other reasons I don't remember anymore... look on the MSNFanatic forums if you need to know. :P

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vikke on 01-22-2007 at 06:56 PM

Yes, that's true, but he could do two versions. Because noone uses MemSkin due to no skins. :)

RE: RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-23-2007 at 01:04 AM

quote:
If you want it to have white background try changing:
code:
                <Position Top="20" Left="0" Height="15" Width="150"/>
                <Fill>
                    <LinearGradient Angle="90">
                        <Color1><Red>255</Red><Green>255</Green><Blue>255</Blue><Alpha>120</Alpha></Color1>
                        <Color2><Red>255</Red><Green>255</Green><Blue>255</Blue><Alpha>50</Alpha></Color2>
                    </LinearGradient>
                </Fill>
            </Element>

actually you would use this:
code:
                <Position Top="0" Left="0" Height="250" Width="150"/>
                <Fill>
                    <PlainColor>
                        <Red>255</Red>
                        <Green>255</Green>
                        <Blue>255</Blue>
                    </PlainColor>
                </Fill>
            </Element>

;) yea ok... i had already known how to do this if you had looked at my MP!L toasts that i had a link to in my last post.

now could you please stop trying to help me out (Y)
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vikke on 01-23-2007 at 03:35 PM

Ok, sure! I'm just hell bored :(.
Good lucK! Looking forward to the release :)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Patchou on 01-23-2007 at 09:48 PM

The reason why I've not added a skinning feature to Plus! (yet?) for Messenger itself is that it's fairly easy to mess the files up and prevent Messenger to load. I'll think about a way to do it without so many risks but yes, it's a definitive option.

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Nathan on 01-23-2007 at 09:51 PM

Go Patchou :D

* Nathan dances

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Menthix on 01-23-2007 at 11:54 PM

quote:
I'll think about a way to do it without so many risks
Put them in a skin pack comparable to .plsc Plus! imports the files and can check if the resources are valid before applying them to Messenger. People could still mess up files after Plus! validated and imported it, but that's nothing they couldn't do before. Or a crash detection just like the thing where Plus! disables itself after a WLM crash.

Just a wild guess tho, I never made a skin myself, let alone an app that applies skins.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by NanaFreak on 01-23-2007 at 11:59 PM

quote:
quote:
I'll think about a way to do it without so many risks
Put them in a skin pack comparable to .plsc Plus! imports the files and can check if the resources are valid before applying them to Messenger. People could still mess up files after Plus! validated and imported it, but that's nothing they couldn't do before. Or a crash detection just like the thing where Plus! disables itself after a WLM crash.

Just a wild guess tho, I never made a skin myself, let alone an app that applies skins.
yea i was thinking like this... plus would tell if its not correct and then it wouldnt load that file (if there are many), or the whole skin

i think the idea of skining WLM through plus would be good.

on thing about the interface folder, can we add an image folder into it so that we can use some of our own images?
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by vikke on 01-24-2007 at 04:00 PM

I don't think Patchou will be able to verify the XML Schemas :(. All wouldn't work with all Messenger versions etc :(

RE: RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by markee on 01-24-2007 at 04:06 PM

quote:
I don't think Patchou will be able to verify the XML Schemas :(. All wouldn't work with all Messenger versions etc :(

If he doesn't just verify the XML Schemas then (I know this would be possible with a script at least) all he has to do is try creating the windows using the xml files and if the object is if the returned object of the plus window is undefined (there has been a problem and the window hasn't been created) then it just reverts to the .dll file.  I can't see why it should be any easier to do this with a script mind you.
RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by absorbation on 01-25-2007 at 04:57 PM

Plus! should add this feature, it's not that hard to implement. Espically if the skins had to be packaged. I mean if Plus! had it's own extension all you would need is the details of the skins, e.g. name, compatible with Messenger versions etc and the .res file.

In theory the mechanics is not that difficult to apply, and in terms of a feature it would certainly be worth it, mainly because skins no longer have installers, and I'm constantly getting emailed on how to install one particular skin. Plus! allowing 3rd party skins to load onto Messenger would be nothing far off amazing :).

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by Matti on 01-25-2007 at 06:12 PM

Oh damn... this sounds like a must-have feature for the next release! :tongue:

:o) Go Patchou!!! :o)

RE: [preview] Messenger Plus Skin! by CookieRevised on 01-27-2007 at 04:18 PM

I think the problem Patchou is talking about is not so much that people might screw up the XML definitions... But that people could screw up the actual layout of Messenger; the layout which Messenger so depends upon. Such XMLs might be perfect according to the standards and verification processes, but if Messenger expects some element to be somewhere, it might still crash.

See all those hard patches which alter stuff in Messenger and all the problems it brought with it concearning elements which were removed instead of just 'hidden', the problems it brought to even Messenger Plus! itself, etc...

Checking on that is extremely hard since you never know what Messenger might depend upon in the next releases.

So, I think this isn't the issue of writing valid XML, but the issue is that people can screw up the actual layout of Messenger, triggering all kinds of hidden and not-hidden problems...

PS:

quote:
Yes, that's true, but he could do two versions. Because noone uses MemSkin due to no skins. :)
Making two versions isn't going to suddenly create more skins. Skins don't depend on what version one would be using, the skins must still be created first....