Shoutbox

DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits (/showthread.php?tid=71980)

DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by alegator on 02-21-2007 at 06:02 AM

I have this movie in DVD, which is playable in my PC, but not in my Sony DVD player. When inserting the DVD in the DVD player the TV screen shows the message:"Playing of this disc is prohibited by area limits". So, thinking that it might be a region code restriction, I copied the DVD to another one using CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD in the background set to eliminate all restrictions. The cloned DVD played fine in the PC but still unplayable in the DVD player, showing the same message as above. So, what's wrong here? Could it be the fact that the movie is in PAL and the DVD player only plays NTSC? Thanks.

RE: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by CookieRevised on 02-21-2007 at 07:30 AM

No, if it states "Playing of this disc is prohibited by area limits" then it probably means "Playing of this disc is prohibited by area limits", thus the region code is different than to what your DVD player can play.

Also, removing restrictions in such DVD copy programs often mean removing copy protection limits, not removing region codes. Those are two different things.

RE: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by Ezra on 02-21-2007 at 08:21 AM

DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter can remove the Region codes from DVD's.

RE: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by linx05 on 02-21-2007 at 12:34 PM

Some DVD players can be picky when it comes to Region free DVDs. You may have to change the region to a specific region (the region you are in) and then see how it goes.

Alternatively you can always find a 'hack' for your player at VideoHelp or just do a google search. I've done it to all the players in our houses. It will allow you to set your region to '0'.

EDIT: What model is your DVD player?

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter can remove the Region codes from DVD's.
alegator already has the program to remove Region Codes.
RE: RE: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by alegator on 02-22-2007 at 04:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
No, if it states "Playing of this disc is prohibited by area limits" then it probably means "Playing of this disc is prohibited by area limits", thus the region code is different than to what your DVD player can play.

Also, removing restrictions in such DVD copy programs often mean removing copy protection limits, not removing region codes. Those are two different things.

AnyDVD also removes region code restrictions, plus it was not necessary anyway because the info AnyDVD reported was that the movie is region code free.

quote:
Originally posted by linx05What model is your DVD player?
It's a SONY DVP-650D player
RE: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by linx05 on 02-22-2007 at 01:23 PM

From my searches, your player does not have any hacks. Of course I could be wrong but according to this post the only way to make your player Region free is to actually connect to the player or some soldering may have to be done for the second option.

You could turn off the "remove region" feature in AnyDVD.

RE: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by alegator on 02-22-2007 at 07:35 PM

Thanks linx, I found that same link. Seems that no easy hack for my Sony. :(

RE: DVD backup not playable in DVD player/Area Limits by linx05 on 02-24-2007 at 10:14 AM

No problem. As I said, if you are backing up your DVDs you can choose to keep your region. The DVD would play in your player then.

p.s. I would never buy a Sony DVD player. Yuck.