Shoutbox

that's the wrong ip address - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: that's the wrong ip address (/showthread.php?tid=72213)

that's the wrong ip address by Jarrod on 03-01-2007 at 06:41 AM

i use a publc proxy server on port 8080 for wlm but in plus when i type (!IP) it dosen't print the ip of the server it print's my ip.
shouldn't it be printing the server's proxy?

it's all set up in advanced connection settings and i use the same proxy for flock and it works so the proxy is not a dud

RE: that's the wrong ip address by Mnjul on 03-01-2007 at 10:07 AM

My guess is that your proxy is probably sending the X-Forwarded-For header, or something similar to that. (i.e. its anonymity is not high enough)

RE: that's the wrong ip address by NiteMare on 03-01-2007 at 10:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
My guess is that your proxy is probably sending the X-Forwarded-For header, or something similar to that. (i.e. its anonymity is not high enough)
actualy i think plus is picking up your Nics IP. like my router would work as a proxy so to speak, so wlm's servers and websites might see me ip as 74.*.*.* but my NIC's actual ip address is 192.168.2.9

so even if your using a proxy your nics actual ip which is what plus shows, will still be the same

(somebody correct me if i'm wrong)
RE: that's the wrong ip address by Jarrod on 03-01-2007 at 10:19 AM

i like the first one because my nics ip is 192.168.1.2 so i'll try find a server with a higher anonymity rating

RE: RE: that's the wrong ip address by Jesus on 03-01-2007 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
actualy i think plus is picking up your Nics IP. like my router would work as a proxy so to speak, so wlm's servers and websites might see me ip as 74.*.*.* but my NIC's actual ip address is 192.168.2.9

so even if your using a proxy your nics actual ip which is what plus shows, will still be the same

I'll have to correct you there, because if I type (!IP) in a convo, it doesn't show my local network IP.
Instead, it shows the same IP I get at myipaddress.com, which I can't find anywhere in my NIC's IP config.

a simple test message could have told you the same, actually;)
RE: that's the wrong ip address by NiteMare on 03-01-2007 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
I'll have to correct you there, because if I type (!IP) in a convo, it doesn't show my local network IP.
Instead, it shows the same IP I get at myipaddress.com, which I can't find anywhere in my NIC's IP config.

a simple test message could have told you the same, actually;)
a simple test did show my my nic's ip:P

RE: that's the wrong ip address by Patchou on 03-01-2007 at 07:42 PM

To get your internal IP addresses, use (!IPN)

RE: that's the wrong ip address by CookieRevised on 03-01-2007 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul

Jesus is correct

(!IP) shows the IP as seen externally. This is done by getting a return value from a special page on the msgplus.net server that returns the IP of the requester.

(!IPN) shows your local network IP. (this is the same as the old beheviour of (!IP) (pre Plus! 3.20.100)).

can also be read on the official Plus! help files

EDIT: blah... need to learn to refresh thread before posting :p