Shoutbox

uninstalling problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: uninstalling problem (/showthread.php?tid=74184)

uninstalling problem by sjay on 05-05-2007 at 07:25 PM

i uninstalled messenger plus by going to control panel/add remove program and uninstalling it there.

now every time i turn on my computer i get a pop up saying could not run windows live messenger (or something along the lines of that) and if i press okay or close the window it opens up the messenger plus live website.

i've tried everything, but nothing has worked, and its driving me nuts!

how do i get rid or it?

p.s i did not install the adware, and it's an older version. i'm also using windows 2000 (i know, old...i just havent had time to upgrade).

RE: uninstalling problem by Zahid™ on 05-05-2007 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sjay
every time i turn on my computer i get a pop up saying could not run windows live messenger
quote:
i'm also using windows 2000
Windows Live Messenger can not run on Windows 2000. Which website opens up? And it would help if you take a screenshot of the pop-up.

RE: uninstalling problem by sjay on 05-05-2007 at 10:11 PM

i installed it a long time ago, and it was a version that did work with windows 2000.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/shattered_glassxx/popup.jpg

here is a screen shot. two of these pop up when i turn on my computer/restart.

once i click okay or close it, it goes directly to the messenger plus home page.

RE: uninstalling problem by MattyRid on 05-05-2007 at 10:21 PM

Windows Live Messenger has never been modified to work with 2000 but MSN Messenger 7.5 has been (check http://mess.be and their download section)

Therefore anything Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live related will have to be removed and installing MSN Mesenger 7.5 and Messenger Plus! 3 will be the way to go.

RE: uninstalling problem by CookieRevised on 05-06-2007 at 12:05 AM

quote:
now every time i turn on my computer i get a pop up saying could not run windows live messenger (or something along the lines of that)
As you can see from the screenshot you provided yourself, it doesn't say "Windows Live Messenger", but it says "Messenger Plus!".

It is very important to get things correct when asking for support, otherwise people can't give you proper support and things might not be understood correctly as you can see from the previous replies. ;)

As for your actual problem: The error messages says to reinstall Messenger Plus! since there was an error removing it. So try to do that.

But first, remove everything you have installed later trying to fix this: Remove Messenger Plus! Live if you have that installed (check the 'add/remove programs' panel)...

After that:
1) Reboot your computer
2) Clear your browser cache. Instructions can be found here: https://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html
3) Disable your virus scanner and/or other protection software which might prevent programs from installing.
4) Redownload Messenger Plus! 3 (from here) to make sure you have a proper non-corrupted installer
5) Run the installer and install Messenger Plus! 3.
6) After that, uninstall it again by going to the 'add/Remove programs' panel
7) Reboot your computer

8) Report back here if this has worked or not.
RE: uninstalling problem by sjay on 05-06-2007 at 02:00 PM

i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program before and it didn't work.

i tried it again anyway, and now i get one pop up instead of two.

RE: uninstalling problem by CookieRevised on 05-06-2007 at 02:54 PM

Have you followed my instructions exactly (you need to install it and uninstall it afterwards, not the other way around)? Did you cleared your browser cache? Did you redownloaded the setup?

Also something I forgot to say: make absolutely sure you are not running any software which is preventing the decent install of programs like a virusscanner or other protection program. Disable them temporarly.

RE: uninstalling problem by sjay on 05-06-2007 at 03:15 PM

yes i did exactly what i was told.

cleared my cache, disabled all of my protection software (being avg, zone alarm and spy bot), downloaded it, uninstalled it and rebooted.

oddly enough though, when i restarted it worked...but when i did a hard boot i was back to one pop up.

RE: uninstalling problem by CookieRevised on 05-06-2007 at 03:33 PM

• Close every instance of Messenger by right-clicking the systemtray icon and choosing "Exit".

• Kill all the Messenger Plus! 3 processes:
    1. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to open the Windows Task Manager
    2. Find every process named: msgplus.exe and kill it by right-clicking on it and choosing "Kill process tree"

• Open Windows Explorer and completely remove the Messenger Plus! installation directories:
        for Messenger Plus! 3 this is by default: "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3"
        for Messenger Plus! Live this is by default: "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live"

• Still in Windows Explorer, go to the MSN Messenger installation directory (by default: C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger) and delete the file called "msimg32.dll".

• Still in Windows Explorer, completely remove the data directory of Messenger Plus:
        by default: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!"

• Open your registry editor by going to your Windows Start menu > Run > regedit

• In the Registry Editor navigate to and delete the following keys and values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Patchou

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs
        (only if AppInit_DLLs contains "MsgPlusLoader.dll")

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
        (remove only stuff related to Messenger Plus! here)
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
        (remove only stuff related to Messenger Plus! here)

• Reboot your computer

If you done everything listed here correctly, then everything related to Messenger Plus! is removed from your computer without using the uninstaller.

Note that the directories listed can be slightly different for you. I've just listed the default ones.

(Though some redundant regisrty settings might still exist, like the entry in your Add/Remove Programs config panel)

RE: uninstalling problem by sjay on 05-06-2007 at 04:09 PM

ah yes, that worked!
i could of sworn i tried that before...

anyway, i also found even older versions of it mingling in my computer, so that probably contributed to the problem aswell.

thanks so much!

RE: uninstalling problem by CookieRevised on 05-06-2007 at 08:12 PM

quote:
ah yes, that worked!
phew... :p

quote:
anyway, i also found even older versions of it mingling in my computer, so that probably contributed to the problem aswell.
interesting though. What older versions? Older versions of MSN Messenger, or Messenger Plus!? And were they installed? And where were they installed?

EDIT:
quote:
i found an old version of msn, as well as messenger plus!, messenger plus! 2, and then messenger plus! 3.

i'm sure i uninstalled them, but probably incorrectly.
Ah, yes... that could have been the problem (messenger plus! 2 still being installed that is).... thanks for notifying....
RE: uninstalling problem by sjay on 05-06-2007 at 10:24 PM

i found an old version of msn, as well as messenger plus!, messenger plus! 2, and then messenger plus! 3.

i'm sure i uninstalled them, but probably incorrectly.