Shoutbox

Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... (/showthread.php?tid=75106)

Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by MicroWay on 06-06-2007 at 03:44 AM

Hello,

I have a friend that asked me to make the question here...
Anyway.. she said me that today appeared on her WLM 3 unknow people talking to her without any "adding invitation".... She told me that the message on the Person's Window was the warning on the "Yellow Bar" that the person wasn't on her contact list (see image attached), and realy, it wasn't (she told me).
Also, on Opitions, on the Privacy, she has bloqued the "All other contacts"...
[Image: attachment.php?pid=824685]

Now the question: How to stop this from happening???
I've told her to imediately block the people (as you can see on the picture, the Block button can be used)... Any other ideas???

Edit: i thought on Server Bug, but.....

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by andrewdodd13 on 06-06-2007 at 09:49 AM

In the main Messenger window, choose tools -> options. At the side, choose privacy. In the part on the right, tick on "Only people in my allow list can..." and then click Ok at the bottom of the dialog.

This should fix the problem.

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by MicroWay on 06-06-2007 at 12:24 PM

Yes... She've done this.... and in spite of that be checked "Only people in my allow list can..." , this continue happening.
:S

[Image: attachment.php?pid=824806]

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by andrewdodd13 on 06-06-2007 at 02:25 PM

I'm gonna run and hide... cause that's not supposed to happen. :p

There's not any viruses/trojans/[insert name of other forms of malware here] on her computer that could be suppressing that accept-invitation dialog, is there?

It's my only explanation. :P

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by MicroWay on 06-06-2007 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I'm gonna run and hide... cause that's not supposed to happen.
I Still can see you :P

Probably there aren't any kind of "viruses/trojans/[insert name of other forms of malware here]" :P as she has other accounts... The one is giving problem is a Hotmail one... The others the problem doesn't occour....

But thanks for the replies... (Y)
If someone else or you discover something else, please, post it here!!!
;)
RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by CookieRevised on 06-06-2007 at 09:59 PM

Let her disable the "Only people on my allow list..." option and let her click on 'ok' so the change is applied.

Then let her disable the second option "Alert me when..." and let her click on 'ok' so that change is also applied.

Then do the opposite: first enable "Alert me when..." (and press 'ok'), then enable "Only people on my allow list..." (and press ok)

See if that helps... If not, report it to Microsoft immediatly, including the email of the contact! (actually, report it anyways, even if the above worked, see below :p)

----------

Sometimes it is possible that an option has goofed up and that it shows enabled/disabled, but that Messenger actually does the opposite....

----------

In such cases, always alert Microsoft of the problem:
http://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger
as it might indeed be a server bug.

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by MicroWay on 06-07-2007 at 12:30 AM

Thanks Cookie for your help...

Again you help me out....
;)

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by maxrase on 06-07-2007 at 08:57 PM

I had the same problem, and in fact, the person was an old deleted contact, because I hadn't tick the box : "block this contact" during the deletion !!

So this unknown contact is maybe an old deleted contact who always have your adress in his contact list !

If this contact is really unknown, reinstall WLM to make sure the function will be ok next time ;)

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by MicroWay on 06-08-2007 at 12:59 AM

Thanks maxrase too for the reply...
I asked her about it, and she says the guys appearing are new contacts...
;)

RE: Problem with unknown contacts that appear instantantly... by maxrase on 06-08-2007 at 10:06 AM

You have to contact Microsoft about this problem, they'll help you as well as possible ^^

If there's only one new contact, she can easily block him, but if this happen every day, there's a real problem...

WLM shouldn't make this king of problem so it's a WLM new bug or hackers...

Anyway you have to contact Microsoft as soon as possible to report that ^^

Ps : I'm french, sorry for my bad English 8-)