Shoutbox

cant see text on the buttons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: cant see text on the buttons (/showthread.php?tid=75806)

cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-02-2007 at 12:42 PM

when i install Messenger Plus i cant see the text on the buttons ( ok, cancel ect). Coupld someone please help.

Preview below

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-02-2007 at 02:36 PM

Please, what version of operative system are you using? Tell also if you are Service Pack or updates installed

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-02-2007 at 02:39 PM

i have windows vista ultimate

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-02-2007 at 02:56 PM

Your DPI setting is 96? (right click on Desktop, then Personalize, then DPI Settings)

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-02-2007 at 02:58 PM

yep its 96

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-02-2007 at 03:19 PM

I don't know :$... try at least to install it... look this image for the button labels:

[Image: i191607_immagine.jpg]

RE: cant see text on the buttons by joey on 07-02-2007 at 03:37 PM

hasnt someone else had this problem before? try IRC on #msgplus you might get help there. =]

RE: cant see text on the buttons by toddy on 07-02-2007 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
hasnt someone else had this problem before? try IRC on #msgplus you might get help there. =]
yes Broken font

no solution was given tho
RE: cant see text on the buttons by absorbation on 07-02-2007 at 04:34 PM

I've noticed each case has an oddly large sized font. Maybe the font is no longer allowing the text to fit into the custom designed buttons?

RE: cant see text on the buttons by toddy on 07-02-2007 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I've noticed each case has an oddly large sized font. Maybe the font is no longer allowing the text to fit into the custom designed buttons?
i tried this, couldn't get the problem to happen on my computer tho :s
RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-03-2007 at 04:59 AM

so theres no way to fix it

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-03-2007 at 08:19 AM

Yes, we think... However wait if Patchou post..

RE: cant see text on the buttons by toddy on 07-03-2007 at 10:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mzlalii
so theres no way to fix it
long shot, but you could try doing a clean download of plus! (clean you cache, and then download plus! again). file may have got corrupt whilst downloading.
RE: cant see text on the buttons by matty on 07-03-2007 at 10:58 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282187

RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-03-2007 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282187

It's another thing... it's the support for not-Unicode chars... Messenger Plus! haven't symbols in the buttons!! :S
RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-03-2007 at 12:41 PM

it didnt work ,it says " cannot set up microsoft windows powertoys" cause im with vista not xp

RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-03-2007 at 03:34 PM

quote:
it didnt work ,it says " cannot set up microsoft windows powertoys" cause im with vista not xp

First: like you said, you have Vista and not Win XP or Win 2000

Second: read my last post. Also if you add the string on the registry key, you don't resolve anything I think because MS Dlg Shell replace unrecognized font names with system fonts. The solutions is for chars that not are in the Unicode table.

quote:
Microsoft says:
When the MS Shell Dlg mapping changes due to changing the system locale, this may have an unexpected effect on how programs display text, specifically when a program that uses MS Shell Dlg expects glyphs to be available from MS Shell Dlg that are not in the font to which it is currently mapped. This typically results in the display of the "default glyph." The default glyph varies from font to font, but commonly looks similar to a pipe symbol (|) or a small square, or rectangular box. You can manually change the font mapping if a single font will suit the needs of both the computer dialogs and the localized programs that are having display problems.

Third: that help page says that if chars aren't supported, you can see the pipe "|" or a square char... and however Messenger Plus is not in this category: "specifically when a program that uses MS Shell Dlg expects glyphs to be available from MS Shell Dlg that are not in the font to which it is currently mapped"!!! :D
RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-03-2007 at 07:06 PM

AngelDevil, that KB explains that MS Shell Dlg is a font mapping and when it is set wrong you can have all kinds of unexpected effects.

MS Shell Dlg is not for replacing unreconized font names with system fonts. It is used to provide the same font face for all programs on all Windows versions; so you don't need to make a seperate program for XP which uses Tahoma, Win95 which uses Arial and Vista which uses whatever-else as the system's default dialog font. You can simply make 1 program which uses the special font MS Shell Dialog and this will automatically be mapped by the OS to its standard default system font so your programs looks like any other program in that OS.

Thus this isn't about non-supported characters. In fact, what they say in that article is that you should not use MS Shell Dlg if you're program needs very special characters. This because you can not be sure that the MS Shell Dlg font is mapped to a font which has those special characters (which in that case you see the pipe symbol, question mark, square or maybe even another character), and you should use a build-in font...

Anyways, a very common effect when the MS Shell Dlg points to a wrong font is exactly as shown in the screenshots of the top poster and the poster in that other thread. Most likely they have a wrong font mapping somewhere (due to installing bad Windows Skins for example). Though those screenshots might also indicate a wrong DPI setting, or a combination of both, etc...

;)

RE: cant see text on the buttons by Patchou on 07-03-2007 at 07:08 PM

indeed. Check MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2, that'S the fonts Plus! uses (and a lot of other apps too).

RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-03-2007 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
indeed. Check MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2, that'S the fonts Plus! uses (and a lot of other apps too).

I disagreed :$ because in Windows Vista, buttons are controlled only by the system, you can't select a specified character for 3D object in your pc, so I think that developers too can't do it, at least without using button skins, but in Messenger Plus! there are the default buttons of Windows.

However, the standard font substitutes for MS Shell Dlg and Dlg 2 are MS Sans Serif and Tahoma, it's impossible that in Windows Vista they don't exist because they are installed with the OS, if MzLalii haven't removed they.
RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-03-2007 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AngelDevil
However, the standard font substitutes for MS Shell Dlg and Dlg 2 are MS Sans Serif and Tahoma, it's impossible that in Windows Vista there aren't they because they are installed with the OS, if MzLalii haven't removed they.
What the standard substitutions are depends on the OS.

But it isn't because Tahoma and MS Sans Serif are installed that MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2 are mapped correctly to those fonts. These are two different things.

It is quite possible that the font mapping has changed for some reason and that it points to another font than the "default" ones. Though this should also mean that in other programs he should see the same "strange non-default" font.

RE: cant see text on the buttons by ahmetgns on 07-03-2007 at 07:54 PM

I wonder if it is really only related to fonts. Like I said before on the other thread which reported the same problem, Messenger Plus! Live windows are enlarged. If OS used a different font instead the standard fonts, normally windows mustn't be enlarged, must it? I assume even if Messenger plus! uses a different font, windows must stay in normal sizes but lines must be broken automatically from somewhere else. But from the screenshots we can see that there is no change where the lines are broken.

RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-03-2007 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I wonder if it is really only related to fonts.
No, as already said by others (like AngelDevil) and me:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(yadda yadda)
Though those screenshots might also indicate a wrong DPI setting, or a combination of both, etc...

RE: RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons by ahmetgns on 07-03-2007 at 08:11 PM

quote:
quote:
(yadda yadda)
Though those screenshots might also indicate a wrong DPI setting, or a combination of both, etc...

What did you mean with "wrong DPI setting"? I really didn't understand how dpi setting can be wrong.
RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-04-2007 at 04:07 AM

actually i dont think i have MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2 so ill try to install it and see if it works and my DPI settings r set 2 normal

RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-04-2007 at 06:13 AM

quote:
actually i dont think i have MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2 so ill try to install it and see if it works and my DPI settings r set 2 normal
you can't install MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2. They aren't real physical fonts. They are font mappings.

MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2 are special names which a programmer can use instead of a real font name. When MS Shell Dlg or MS Shell Dlg 2 are used instead of a real font name, the actual font being used in the end will be determined by the Windows OS and it will be the default system font for that particular Windows OS.

This is why programs all look the same. Because otherwise you would need to ask all other programmers "hey, what font did you use?", "oh I used Arial", "what? no, I used Comic Sans", "damn, my user doesn't have that font, what should I do?", etc... And you will end up with a chaos of all kinds of different fonts being used in programs.
RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-04-2007 at 06:17 AM

So what should i do . Cause i have no idea :S

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-04-2007 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
What did you mean with "wrong DPI setting"? I really didn't understand how dpi setting can be wrong.

I think that CookieRevised wanted to say a DPI setting incompatible with MsgPlus! Live... wrong in that sense :)

For MzLalii.. CookieRevised have reason. You can't install MS Shell Dlg - Dlg 2, because they are font mappings.. You can only view in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Window NT/Current Settings/FontSubstitutes which are the respective substitutes for them.

But I tried to remove these keys and nothing happen in Messenger Plus!, because like I said before, buttons in MsgPlus! are the default Windows Vista text buttons.
RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-04-2007 at 11:15 AM

so how am i suppose to fix it. im going pazza here

RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-04-2007 at 11:50 AM

quote:
so how am i suppose to fix it. im going pazza here

I think that the best solutions is to buy a new computer! :P However if you want I can use your computer with a remote desktop... I securely resolve your problem.
RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-04-2007 at 12:06 PM

lol well im not that desperate about having Messenger Plus , but thanks for the offer anways :)

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-05-2007 at 12:22 PM

I tried to change Local settings on my International Options, and I select australian English (I think that she have this), but nothing happens on Messenger Plus! after I reboot. So we can suppose that this problem doesn't depend from MS Shell Dlg/Dlg 2, and not even by all the FontSubstitution utility.

Try to do this two things:

- In Control Panel (classic view) > International Options > select Administration Options tab > select Italian like Local Setting (it don't change the language of your system).
Then reboot your pc. Only for check if the error depend from it.

Else try to do it:

- Right click on desktop > Personalize > Screen settings. If you are using Windows Vista Ultimate (or Basic, I don't know), change it to Windows Vista Standard, else change Windows Vista Standard to Windows Vista Ultimate, then Apply. It's possible that a wrong setting in one of these themes provokes the viewing error in MsgPlus.

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-05-2007 at 12:41 PM

still doesnt work :(

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-05-2007 at 02:44 PM

So this error doesn't depend from:

- FontSubstitution
- DPL Settings
- Corrupt installation file (have you tried to re-download it, yes?)
- Wrong screen settings

What is the cause???? :S

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-05-2007 at 02:47 PM

all i know is that all started after a couple of dayz i installed AIM but den i uninstalled it still didnt work, i hope i didnt stuff up anything :S

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-05-2007 at 03:10 PM

I don't think that AIM can delete the text on Messenger Plus! Live installation program, however...

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-05-2007 at 03:12 PM

don't know , thats when it started  sorry if I'm giving you a headache:$

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-05-2007 at 03:19 PM

No headache! But I don't understand which is the really cause...

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-05-2007 at 03:21 PM

i always find a way to stuff things up so its not a suprise

RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-05-2007 at 11:56 PM

I'm sorry to say, AngelDevil, but your conclusions are all wrong.

It is not because nothing changes when you change the local language in Vista from English to Italian that the cause doesn't have something todo with the local settings. For starters English and Italian belong to the same language family. It can also depend on the codepage being used or even the addition of other (incompatible) codepages.

And the influence from the local settings on stuff like this is also very different between XP and Vista (in Vista it doesn't matter as much as it was with XP; all explained in some KB article or on TechNet or MSDN or whatever... cba to look it up now, sorry).

Also, nothing is deleted from the Messenger Plus! dialog; it isn't shown properly (showed too wide, hence the text 'falls off'). Big difference.

It obviously does has something todo with font substituations as the Messenger Plus! dialogs use those MS Shell Dlg fonts. The question is, why is the font substituted with that wide font instead of the normal default font?

RE: cant see text on the buttons by Voldemort on 07-06-2007 at 12:03 AM

quote:
For starters English and Italian belong to the same language family.
What do you mean?
RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-06-2007 at 12:11 AM

They belong to the european languages family (or something like that). There are something like 6 language groups used in Windows, and it might/will/can depend on this. So changing English to Italian isn't going to change anything font-wise anyways. And thus comming to the conlcusion that it can't have something todo with the local language/settings is wrong.

Everything is explained in KB articles and/or on TechNet and/or MSDN though (waaaaaaaay better and accurate than what I could try to explain).

So, if you have some time, start by reading the KB article posted by Menthix. From there look up stuff in Microsoft's MSDN library and TechNet library concearning MS Shell Dlg, codepages, local settings, dpi, etc...

Even if I understood it all in great detail it would still be too much to (even try to) explain. Everything is interlinked to eachother in a complex manner. So best is to look stuff up for this and do some extensive reading.

For stuff like this (and if we take Patchou's word it isn't a rendering problem) it could even be a real but rare bug in Windows for all we know... Unless someone accidently stumbles on the method to reproduce this, I think it wouldn't be solved anytime soon...

But what we shouldn't do is jumping to conclusions like AngelDevil did, as the matter is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more complex than that.

RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-06-2007 at 11:00 AM

quote:
I'm sorry to say, AngelDevil, but your conclusions are all wrong.

It is not because nothing changes when you change the local language in Vista from English to Italian that the cause doesn't have something todo with the local settings. For starters English and Italian belong to the same language family. It can also depend on the codepage being used or even the addition of other (incompatible) codepages.

And the influence from the local settings on stuff like this is also very different between XP and Vista (in Vista it doesn't matter as much as it was with XP; all explained in some KB article or on TechNet or MSDN or whatever... cba to look it up now, sorry).

Also, nothing is deleted from the Messenger Plus! dialog; it isn't shown properly (showed too wide, hence the text 'falls off'). Big difference.

It obviously does has something todo with font substituations as the Messenger Plus! dialogs use those MS Shell Dlg fonts. The question is, why is the font substituted with that wide font instead of the normal default font?

The problem isn't that English and Italian are in the same language family. Like Microsoft say, local settings modify automatically all fontsubstitution, also MS Shell Dlg. If I have Windows Vista and Italian as local setting, and nothing happens in MsgPlus, so if the problem depend by it, copying this setting nothing have to happen in MzLalii computer. Instead the problem doesn't depend from local setting ;) It's evident.
RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-06-2007 at 03:22 PM

No it isn't... not all local settings change font substitutions, especially not when languages are in the same language group as they use the same substitutions.

RE: cant see text on the buttons by AngelDevil on 07-06-2007 at 06:41 PM

quote:
No it isn't... not all local settings change font substitutions, especially not when languages are in the same language group as they use the same substitutions.

But if it doesn't change, settings are correct, because if they are in the same family, and Italian doesn't give any problem, so english will not give any problem!!

RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-07-2007 at 12:14 AM

If it doesn't change, the local settings might still be wrong. There are more things happening then just a change of language when you change your local settings. You said that changing the language from English to Italian doesn't produce the error and thus the local settings aren't the cause. This is not neccesairly so.

As I said before, the matter is way more complex than that.

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-10-2007 at 08:43 AM

sooo whats the solution ??? :S what am i suppose to do to fix it up, or am i suppose not use Messenger Plus at all ? ^o)

RE: cant see text on the buttons by mzlalii on 07-26-2007 at 08:19 AM

since u ppl created msn plua , anit you suppose 2 know how to fix things or not?? dont worry i wont trouble u , ill find sumfin else

RE: cant see text on the buttons by CookieRevised on 07-26-2007 at 09:09 AM

I'm sorry, but we didn't created Messenger Plus!. We are just users like anybody else. Messenger Plus! is created by 1 person: Patchou.

And if bugs are found in Messenger Plus! they are fixed as soon as possible. But what we're talking about here is most likely not a bug in Messenger Plus! but some wrong setting in your Windows, or a screwup because you did something (in the past) or patched some stuff in Windows, or installed some other software which screwed things up, etc... eg: If you would install Plus! on a clean Windows, you most likely wont have these problems.