Shoutbox

[Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer (/showthread.php?tid=76065)

[Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by riahc4 on 07-12-2007 at 08:10 PM

I think there should be a type of "Instant Search" in the log viewer. Sometimes we want to remember what someone said but we dont rememeber when, who, where, or why they said it; we just know what they said.
By simplying putting words of the phrase, then instant search in log viewer would help out.

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by Jimbo on 07-17-2007 at 04:41 PM

This would be useful, and also, wouldnt it be fairly easy to do, patchou?

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by Salem on 07-17-2007 at 05:01 PM

This is possible, Just press CTRL+F just as you would to search for text in your web browser.

Hope this helps

~Salem(@)

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by CookieRevised on 07-17-2007 at 07:08 PM

I think riahc4 means searching _all_ the available logs, not just the current open one...

Aka: the same as when you use Windows Explorer to search for a phrase in a file in a directory and all its subdirectories...

RE: RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by Salem on 07-17-2007 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I think riahc4 means searching _all_ the available logs, not just the current open one...

Aka: the same as when you use Windows Explorer to search for a phrase in a file in a directory and all its subdirectories...

Yeh now i understand. I agree that would be great to have.
RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by riahc4 on 08-08-2007 at 12:03 PM

quote:

Exactly.

For example, I stopped talking to a friend a long time ago. And I was trying to search our last conversation but it is impossible because I dont remember the date.
Putting their email or a date or a text or a nickname or something should bring up anything related to it. I think Patchou should make Messenger Plus! be able to use the WDS 3.0 platform for Plus! logs including also his old method of Find thru search logs.

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by Matti on 08-08-2007 at 03:26 PM

But it would be a pain for your CPU if you have your logs encrypted with a password and have to decrypt them all first before you can search in them... :-/

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by vaccination on 08-08-2007 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
But it would be a pain for your CPU if you have your logs encrypted with a password and have to decrypt them all first before you can search in them... :-/
And could take a long time to, especially if the majority of the logs are big.
RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by markee on 08-08-2007 at 11:20 PM

And also what happens if you changed passwords as well, you would also have to enter the password for each log which just adds to the time.  Plus then when it is looking through does it keep a decrypted copy so that it is quick for you to search through later or do you go for security and have to then decrypt them again when you are checking the hits to your queries?

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by CookieRevised on 08-12-2007 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
And also what happens if you changed passwords as well
Not being able to search encrypted logs (that is: logs with a different pwd than the default stored one in memor) would be a limitation which many people could live with I suppose.

Not all people use encryption (in most cases it is useless or not needed anyways).

Being able to search all logs in all subdirs would be a massive major improvement on its own, despite this limitation.

------

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
But it would be a pain for your CPU (...)
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
And could take a long time to, especially if the majority of the logs are big.
That is no reason to not have it. If I follow that same reasoning then there shouldn't be any search feature in any program or even in Windows at all; searching contents wouldn't exist in that case, nowhere.

Of course searching can take a while, if you don't want to wait, don't search...
RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by Nathan on 08-12-2007 at 08:01 PM

I have been wondering about this myself, it would be awesome to have as I find the current one a bit annoying tbh.

gogogogoggo patchou :P

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by -dt- on 08-12-2007 at 11:42 PM

Hm, patchou could use the vista search api for this, but that leaves XP out in the cold :P

edit:
XP could just install windows desktop search, it seems like it has the same api : >

edit2:
hm could be done as a plus script *starts*

edit3:

hm Ive created code to search the log directory for "hello" and debug.trace the results, though :( because the IE control isnt available for scripts i cant display the results and highlight the phrase :(

code:

var CSIDL_PERSONAL = 0x5;
var reglogdir = "HKCU\\Software\\Patchou\\Messenger Plus! Live\\" + Messenger.MyEmail +"\\Preferences\\LogsDirectory";

var shell  = new ActiveXObject('WScript.Shell');

try{
    var dir = shell.RegRead(reglogdir);
}catch(e){
    var dir = getSpecialDir(CSIDL_PERSONAL) + "\\My Chat Logs";
}
dir = dir.replace("\\", "/");

var db = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Connection');
db.open("Provider=Search.CollatorDSO;Extended Properties='Application=Windows';");

var results = db.Execute("SELECT System.ItemPathDisplay FROM SystemIndex WHERE CONTAINS('hello') AND SCOPE='file:" + dir + "'");

while(!results.EOF){
    Debug.Trace(results.Fields.item('System.ItemPathDisplay'));
    results.MoveNext();
}

function getSpecialDir( CSIDL){
    var szSendToPath = Interop.Allocate((255 *2) +2);
    Interop.Call("Shell32", "SHGetSpecialFolderPathW", 0, szSendToPath,  CSIDL, 0);
    return szSendToPath.ReadString(0);
}

RE: RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by ahmetgns on 08-22-2007 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:

Exactly.

For example, I stopped talking to a friend a long time ago. And I was trying to search our last conversation but it is impossible because I dont remember the date.
Putting their email or a date or a text or a nickname or something should bring up anything related to it. I think Patchou should make Messenger Plus! be able to use the WDS 3.0 platform for Plus! logs including also his old method of Find thru search logs.

Right click on that contact.../Messenger Plus! Features.../Open Chat Log... would help. Keep in mind. I don't have any idea if you have removed that contact from your list.
RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by Patchou on 08-23-2007 at 04:20 PM

I'll try to work on that for the next version.

As for the IE contol, you'll be glad to know version 4.50 give scripts full access to it.

RE: [Suggestion] Messenger Plus! Instant Search Log Viewer by riahc4 on 08-29-2007 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Right click on that contact.../Messenger Plus! Features.../Open Chat Log... would help. Keep in mind. I don't have any idea if you have removed that contact from your list.
But how do you search thru other chat logs or other chats youve had way back? You can't.

quote:
I'll try to work on that for the next version.
Thanks Patchou. I think its a much needed feature for some users.

And XP can use this too; Any API can be used in Windows software.