Shoutbox

Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations (/showthread.php?tid=78817)

Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Chris4 on 11-06-2007 at 08:57 PM

My idea...

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
It would be cool if Messenger Plus! Live could record the conversations that are open, then in case of a crash/lost connection/etc., if the option was enabled, would restore the conversations that were previously open.
Patchou's reply...
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
That's possible for a script to do... just keep track of the chat windows that are opened and if you dont get a close notification, next time Messenger signs-back, start a convo with those people.

So.. I was wondering if anyone would like to make it? :grin:
RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Volv on 11-06-2007 at 11:33 PM

The thing which a script could not do is restore the conversation text into the window if that's what your suggestion entailed.

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Chris4 on 11-07-2007 at 01:14 AM

No, that wouldn't be needed I don't think. There's always the option of "Show my last conversation in new conversation windows" in Options.

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Volv on 11-07-2007 at 02:15 AM

How would group convos be handled?

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Chris4 on 11-07-2007 at 08:43 PM

Ignore them?

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Matti on 11-08-2007 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Ignore them?
Sounds like a cheap way to get around that. But because we can't send an invite to be added to a group conversation, I don't see any way to restore a group conversation. :-/

I could make something likely, unless someone else has better ideas / wants to do it / has too much time and needs something to do / ...
RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Quantum on 11-08-2007 at 05:25 PM

This would be great especially if you leave your laptop on battery power and  forget to connect it to the mains and your PC shutdown (or something involving shutoff) and the you can see who was talking to you. Instead of looking through chat logs. As for the groups you can make it look like they are there but when you talk it adds them into the convo and if you don't it wont. (just an idea)

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by pollolibredegrasa on 11-08-2007 at 05:45 PM

Would something like this do?

[Image: 8ad9tlz.png]

Just something I threw together last night after reading this thread. It's a WIP, and it currently ignores group convos completely, but I could finish and release it if there's any demand.

The basic concept seems to work when I've ended the process for WLM using task manager, dunno if it would work in other situations but I assume it should.

Edit: Now with updated screenshot

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Matti on 11-08-2007 at 06:30 PM

FFC, that looks great! :D
I think you should seriously release that script! Maybe add a Cancel button so that you don't have to go look for the "Don't restore" option, but apart from that... I WANT IT! :P

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Chris4 on 11-08-2007 at 09:40 PM

Haha, that's awesome FFC! :D
Yeah, stick a cancel button in there too.

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Volv on 11-09-2007 at 04:41 AM

May I just ask if/how it deals with conversations with contacts which aren't on your contact list? It's not possible to send messages to people which aren't on your list through the Scripting engine (unless I'm mistaken).

EDIT: By the way, that script looks pretty awesome FFC. You should release it into the scripts DB when you've completed it, and it should be a 'Coolpick' imo :p

RE: RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by deAd on 11-09-2007 at 04:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
May I just ask if/how it deals with conversations with contacts which aren't on your contact list? It's not possible to send messages to people which aren't on your list through the Scripting engine (unless I'm mistaken).
Yes, you can.
RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Volv on 11-09-2007 at 06:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
Yes, you can.
Ok then :p
RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by markee on 11-09-2007 at 10:01 AM

You can even open a chat with yourself which isn't normally possible :P

If you are wanting to open a group chat and invite people in you can always use the cheap hack of using the /add command.  It is not ideal but it should work (with appropriate checks for if contacts are online and it is possible to send a message in the convo at that time).

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Matti on 11-09-2007 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
If you are wanting to open a group chat and invite people in you can always use the cheap hack of using the /add command.  It is not ideal but it should work (with appropriate checks for if contacts are online and it is possible to send a message in the convo at that time).
Why don't you use ChatWnd.AddContact then? :P

Also, assume that your Messenger crashed while you were in a group conversation, and you quickly restart the program and then you would create a new group conversation. All the other contacts would have 2 opened group conversations and may get confused about which one to use. That's why I'd recommend to not try to add some sort of "group conversation restoring".
RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by vaccination on 11-09-2007 at 07:52 PM

I've been using beta, it rocks 8-)

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by Jimbo on 11-09-2007 at 08:44 PM

This looks hot!!
Release FFC right now!!

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by pollolibredegrasa on 11-11-2007 at 09:02 PM

Just an update, I think I've nearly finished the script. There's one or two bugs i really need to sort out before I can release it though, but hopefully they should be sorted soon.

As for group conversations, I thought about a separate screen that would let you browse though the different group convos open when Messenger crashed and allow you to see who was in them, but when it came to implementing it I had a hard time keeping track of group conversations. I'll keep trying though, and it may be included in a future release should I figure it out.

Anyway, for now I've updated my previous post with an updated screenshot.

Scratch that, I've just thought of a much better way of doing certain things and it should make group conversation handling much easier too :grin:
RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by prashker on 11-11-2007 at 09:07 PM

I see myself. I must be cool and recieving a beta. WINK

RE: Script Idea - Restore Previous Conversations by pollolibredegrasa on 11-19-2007 at 10:00 PM

First public version of script released :)

Link