Shoutbox

[Release] SessionSaver - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] SessionSaver (/showthread.php?tid=79194)

[Release] SessionSaver by pollolibredegrasa on 11-19-2007 at 09:52 PM

As requested here.

SessionSaver

Features:

This script automatically keeps track of all conversation windows open. If for some reason Messenger should crash, when you log back in a Recovery Window will notify you that conversations were open when it crashed, and will show you a list of them.

It gives the options of :

• Restoring all the chat windows that were open
  • Doing nothing  (i.e. opens no windows and closes the recovery window - the Close button will also do this)
  • Choose from the list of contacts which windows it will re-open
Additionally, it will also keep track of group conversations you are in. If any group conversations are open when Messenger crashes, then a new option will be available on the Recovery Window, along with the 3 mentioned above – View group conversations.

This will open a screen which shows you a list of people who were in each group conversation and whether they are on your contact list or not. It is not possible to re-add yourself into the group conversation, however it will allow you to select a user from the list and start a chat with them (so you can ask them to add you back in or whatever)

If no single-user windows were open when Messenger crashed, but group conversations were then you will be notified of this and asked if you wish to open the Group Conversation Viewer.

This script does NOT keep track of the text in the conversation. If you want to do this, use Messenger's built in feature in Tools>Options>Messages>Show my last conversation in new conversation windows.

To use:

Simply install the script and it starts monitoring straight away. The next time you login to Messenger after a crash the Recovery Window should appear automatically if any windows were saved.

Screenshots:

Recovery Window:
[Image: recoverywindowig0.png]

Group Conversation Viewer:
[Image: groupconvoviewerlk3.png]

Known Bugs:

Sometimes, in very rare circumstances, when a contact is added to the conversation, Messenger will say that the original participant has left, then has been added again. When this happens, SessionSaver will falsely report the group conversation as a single user one. Unfortunately, this is a limitation of Plus!, due to bugs in WLM itself. For more information, see here.

Other Stuff:

Obviously during testing, it would have been quite a hassle to have to crash WLM all the time to test certain functions (windows displaying the correct information, making sure it kept track of conversations properly etc). Also, a method was needed to "crash" Messenger, rather than just ending the process using Task Manager. Because of this, two "advanced functions" were created.
  • "Imitate Crashed Session" will display the Session Recovery window, just as if you had just signed in after a crash.
  • "Crash WLM" does exactly what it says - causes the script to enter an infinite loop which should lock up WLM, forcing you to have to close it.
Obviously these 2 features are not really useful to a normal user, but they were left in should for some reason you wish to use them.
By default they are hidden, and to enable them you must type in a conversation "/ssaver_advanced on", after which they can be accessed through the Scripts menu.  "/ssaver_advanced off" will then hide the options again.

Also, there is an "Easter Egg" which is really hard to find, that you can blame vaccination for 8-)

If you find any bugs, feel free to report them in this thread, and I'll do my best to look into them.  :)

Edit: removed some redundant lines of code, apart from that script is exatly the same
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by vaccination on 11-19-2007 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
Also, there is an "Easter Egg" which is really hard to find, that you can blame vaccination for (Smilie)
:grin:

The easter egg is worth while btw, and easy to find :P 'specially if you like Portal 8-)

The script is really good, I recommend it (Y)

;p
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Rolando on 11-19-2007 at 10:04 PM

Awesome, definetly going to try it out :)

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by prashker on 11-19-2007 at 10:13 PM

Easter Egg rocks (h).

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Consem on 11-19-2007 at 10:15 PM

Hello,

This is a very good script indeed, great work FatFreeChicken.

Now I have just got to wait until WLM crashes .. (6) ..

Thanks,

Consem.

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by warmth on 11-19-2007 at 10:19 PM

Testing it ;)... looks very nice... thanks mate...

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Oxy on 11-19-2007 at 10:20 PM

Now to wait for someone to upload details of the easter egg.
because.. urm.. i don't feel like looking for it...

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by prashker on 11-19-2007 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
Now to wait for someone to upload details of the easter egg.
because.. urm.. i don't feel like looking for it...

It's the easiest thing ever :<
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by ShawnZ on 11-19-2007 at 11:00 PM

why is it portal.mid and not portal.mp3 ¬¬

RE: RE: [Release] SessionSaver by pollolibredegrasa on 11-19-2007 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I tried it with both versions, but decided not to bother with either in the end. I thought I'd removed those lines though.
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by MeEtc on 11-19-2007 at 11:08 PM

What about when Plus discovers that WLM was not shut down properly, and disables all scripts? what then, eh?

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by prashker on 11-19-2007 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
What about when Plus discovers that WLM was not shut down properly, and disables all scripts? what then, eh?

Nothing :p. You'd be smart in the first place to Disable that Reg key :p.
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Chris4 on 11-19-2007 at 11:20 PM

Another great idea by me .. :D .. Haha :P

Thanks for including me in the credits.

Great script :D

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by prashker on 11-19-2007 at 11:23 PM

For all those nubs who are like WTF REG KEY?!

HKCU\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\your@email.com\Preferences

\Preferences      EnableScriptProtection      dword      1
Boolean value. Set to false (O) to disable automatic script disabling when Messenger ends prematurely.

And for those especially DOIIIIII.

If it's not there you create it :p.

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by pollolibredegrasa on 11-19-2007 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I'll probably update it then at some point and add a message telling them about that Plus! feature, and ask them if they want to disable it :)

Although tbh, I haven't changed that key and Plus! never detected that it had crashed while I was testing :P
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Salem on 11-20-2007 at 06:51 PM

Looks like a really good script. Will definitely give it a try.

~Salem(@)

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by NanaFreak on 11-20-2007 at 08:54 PM

nice script! i wont be using it but i love the easter egg ;o

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by ShawnZ on 11-20-2007 at 09:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I tried it with both versions, but decided not to bother with either in the end. I thought I'd removed those lines though.

but there's no 'still alive' MIDI :dodgy:
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by aNILEator on 11-20-2007 at 09:17 PM

wow clicking your name in about window such a hard easter egg...... and you need still alive midi to make it any good at all :P

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by vaccination on 11-20-2007 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
wow clicking your name in about window such a hard easter egg...... and you need still alive midi to make it any good at all :P
I told him that ;[

mp3 makes it even better though =p
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by TheBlasphemer on 11-20-2007 at 11:05 PM

Why does your test-function enter an endless loop?
You could've just used Interop.Call("ExitProcess",0); to fake a crash ;)

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by aNILEator on 11-20-2007 at 11:43 PM

midi is fun 'n' cheesy and much smaller file size

RE: RE: [Release] SessionSaver by pollolibredegrasa on 11-20-2007 at 11:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Why does your test-function enter an endless loop?
You could've just used Interop.Call("ExitProcess",0); to fake a crash ;)
Didn't know this, thanks, I'll use it in the next version ;)

quote:
midi is fun 'n' cheesy and much smaller file size
When I first started making it I tried with both an MP3 and the MIDI, and I even tried to get the words to appear in time to the music, but unfortunately I couldn't make the letters appear quick enough to keep up with the song :( The music ended up finishing about a minute before the lyrics had finished appearing which is partly why I took it out, however I've not completely given up on it 8-)
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Squillace on 11-22-2007 at 02:39 AM

Hi guys,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe I just didn't understood the utility of this script. Please tell me: it's suppose to reopen my WINDOWS or my last conversation?

I'm asking this because right know nobody is online on my contact list, so I used a web messenger with my alternative MSN account to "simulate" a conversation, then a crash. And after the WLM crash, I got the SessionSaver window but when I choose to restore my conversation, it only restores my window... without text... completely empty.

Is that normal?

If it's normal... how can this script be useful? Don't can I re-open up all my conversation windows individually without using a script?

Please, give me some lights, because I'm not understanding this. :$

Thanks a lot!

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by NanaFreak on 11-22-2007 at 05:38 AM

scripts cant add text back into conversation windows... so this is how it should be working

and you can but what if you cant remember exactly? =\

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by aNILEator on 11-22-2007 at 05:43 AM

I too thought this was going to be like firefox's session saver, at first. Best way to describe this now is just a "start new chats with last contacts you chatted with before a crash" script

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by DarKprince on 11-22-2007 at 10:26 AM

very nice script (Y) I've posted a translation of this topic in Italian on my forum 'cause I think it's really interesting. If you want to release a multilanguage version of ths script I'll be ready to collaborate ;)

RE: RE: [Release] SessionSaver by warmth on 11-22-2007 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarKprince
very nice script (Y) I've posted a translation of this topic in Italian on my forum 'cause I think it's really interesting. If you want to release a multilanguage version of ths script I'll be ready to collaborate ;)
Me too...(H)
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Squillace on 11-22-2007 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
scripts cant add text back into conversation windows... so this is how it should be working

and you can but what if you cant remember exactly? =\
Well... I don't know about you but I never talk with more than 6-7 contacts at the same time... so it's not hard to remember with who I'm talking to.

At this point, this script is completely useless for me. I though that the idea was to restore THE CONVERSATION and not just the window.

quote:
I too thought this was going to be like firefox's session saver, at first. Best way to describe this now is just a "start new chats with last contacts you chatted with before a crash" script
Exactly... so I recommend to the author to change the description of this script. It doesn't keep track of all conversations open, it just keep track of all open windows, which is very different. With the actual description, people can be mistaken (orthography?).

I'm disappointed. :S
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by vaccination on 11-22-2007 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Squillace

Exactly... so I recommend to the author to change the description of this script. It doesn't keep track of all conversations open, it just keep track of all open windows, which is very different. With the actual description, people can be mistaken (orthography?).

I'm disappointed. :S
Wtf, that's exactly what it does.

If you want the text to reappear then use the option in WLM.

Tools > Options > Messages and select "Automatically keep a history of my conversations" and then select "Show my last conversation..."

RE: RE: [Release] SessionSaver by pollolibredegrasa on 11-22-2007 at 10:04 PM

quote:

At this point, this script is completely useless for me. I though that the idea was to restore THE CONVERSATION and not just the window.
Then use the option in WLM itself to do this. As stated already in this thread, it is not possible to put text back a conversation window again, without resending it.

Either way, I've modified the original description to try be a bit more clear.
RE: RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Squillace on 11-22-2007 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

Wtf, that's exactly what it does.

If you want the text to reappear then use the option in WLM.

Tools > Options > Messages and select "Automatically keep a history of my conversations" and then select "Show my last conversation..."

It's not the same thing. The WLM feature restores automatically the last conversation I had, each time I open a new window with someone. That's what I DON'T want.

This script would be useful as I describe it for the simple reason that crashs are annoying and when we turn back to WLM it would be useful to recover the current conversation we are having with someone.

And let me tell you something... for the 2 or 3 last weeks I'm having a lot of crashes which I think that it's the fault of a script I use (Live Notifier), and when it happens, the last conversation is not saved by WLM in the habitual log files, just by Plus! log files. So, considering this, how can your "super WLM solution" be useful for me? Hmm?

quote:

Then use the option in WLM itself to do this. As stated already in this thread, it is not possible to put text back a conversation window again, without resending it.

Either way, I've modified the original description to try be a bit more clear.
Ok, I was in doubt. But, please read what I written above... the option in WLM not always works.
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by vaccination on 11-22-2007 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Ok, I was in doubt. But, please read what I written above... the option in WLM not always works.
There is nothing else you can do, it's the limit. WLM restores the conversation, but doesn't do it on a crash, the script opens up the windows with the people which you had conversations open with, there's nothing more you can do.
RE: RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Squillace on 11-22-2007 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

There is nothing else you can do, it's the limit. WLM restores the conversation, but doesn't do it on a crash, the script opens up the windows with the people which you had conversations open with, there's nothing more you can do.
Ok, we finally understand each other. (Y)
RE: [Release] SessionSaver by bobby2000 on 11-26-2007 at 05:26 PM

lol ... good script :)

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by absorbation on 11-26-2007 at 05:28 PM

I think this is one of the best designed scripts out there. I find it extremely useful (Y).

RE: [Release] SessionSaver by warmth on 11-26-2007 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I find it extremely useful (Y).
Very agree with u... cause this is something I have ever complained about messenger...

RE: RE: [Release] SessionSaver by Salem on 11-26-2007 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I think this is one of the best designed scripts out there. I find it extremely useful (Y).

Agreed. Great work fatfreechicken. Keep it up:)

~Salem(@)