Shoutbox

Improved thread read/unread marking - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Improved thread read/unread marking (/showthread.php?tid=79700)

Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-07-2007 at 03:01 AM

Yesterday I made some improvements to the board's system of tracking read/unread threads, so I guess I should make a post about it... :p

Up until now, the board stored info about threads you've read in a cookie, and that cookie had a limit of 40 threads. Now the info is stored in the database, same as in MyBB 1.2, so the board can remember an unlimited* number of threads. [Image: mininana.gif]

* Records older than 2 weeks will be pruned to keep the size down.

Also, I added a useful option that tells the board to ignore your last visit time, so threads won't be marked as read just because you closed your browser for 15 minutes. You can enable that here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php?action=configread

(The option only applies to latest.php and forumdisplay.php at the moment, not index.php. Forums may be marked "read" even when they contain "unread" threads.)

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Menthix on 12-07-2007 at 03:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
same as in MyBB 1.2
How about upgrade to 1.2 before the end of the year like you once said you would? :p
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by NiteMare on 12-07-2007 at 03:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
same as in MyBB 1.2
How about upgrade to 1.2 before the end of the year like you once said you would? :p
at this rate, 1.4 will be out before the boards are upgraded to 1.2 :P
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by prashker on 12-07-2007 at 03:34 AM

suweeeeet

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by NanaFreak on 12-07-2007 at 03:35 AM

old, knew about it ages ago ;o

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by markee on 12-07-2007 at 06:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
same as in MyBB 1.2
That is exactly what Surfi told WDZ to do....
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Discrate on 12-07-2007 at 06:06 AM

Are you serious? DZ you actually did some work on the forums!?!?! geeze. :refuck:

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by High Speed Chaser on 12-07-2007 at 07:12 AM

Maybe the will upgrade it when the new site comes out although it's highly unlikely.

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by vaccination on 12-07-2007 at 07:35 AM

Awesome, been using ignore last visit since you posted it in sb =p

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-07-2007 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Pfft, shut up :'( :p

I don't recall saying that, btw ¬¬

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
I'm never upgrading to 1.2, as I've posted a few times before... I'll consider using 1.4, but it's not out yet and I'm tired of waiting. :P
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by toddy on 12-07-2007 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
When did the marker for a thread you've posted in appear?
45 mins ago
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-07-2007 at 09:13 AM

Yeah, I fixed up that feature while I was working on the code.

I know the icons suck, but I didn't want to use the default MyBB (1.2.9) images because they have some dodgy inconsistencies... :\

[Image: dotcomparend1.gif] <-- "unread" vs. "unread dot"

[Image: dotcompare2us4.gif] <-- "unread dot" vs. "read dot" (quite hard to tell the difference =p)

So I just put some simple black triangles on the existing icons. :refuck: If someone comes up with a better idea I'll use it.

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by NanaFreak on 12-07-2007 at 09:24 AM

can we have an option to turn them off? ;o

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Felu on 12-07-2007 at 10:09 AM

Yay i always wanted this :P. Makes it easier to browse :).

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by haydos on 12-07-2007 at 10:21 AM

The black triangles are good because they aren't too obtrusive. Those flashing icons are dodgy!

Well done WDZ you extremely hard worker :tongue:

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by NanaFreak on 12-07-2007 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
Those flashing icons are dodgy!
they were just to show you the difference between them... DZ made them gifs that change between =\
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by MattyRid on 12-07-2007 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
The black triangles are good because they aren't too obtrusive.
I agree. And I also have to agree with Felu, it makes browsing the forums easy. If only it was implemented sooner[Image: msn_tongue.gif]
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Oxy on 12-07-2007 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Awesome, been using ignore last visit since you posted it in sb =p
Yup, same here. (H)
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Sunshine on 12-07-2007 at 12:16 PM

Can we have bold thread titles (subject) for unread/thread with new unread messages and regular for when read?

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Menthix on 12-07-2007 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I don't recall saying that, btw ¬¬
Hmms, guess you didn't say it, but still WDZ's reply to Temp Membership :).
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Mike on 12-07-2007 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Up until now, the board stored info about threads you've read in a cookie, and that cookie had a limit of 40 threads. Now the info is stored in the database, same as in MyBB 1.2, so the board can remember an unlimited* number of threads.

Does the information include the last read post of that thread?
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-07-2007 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
can we have an option to turn them off? ;o
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Can we have bold thread titles (subject) for unread/thread with new unread messages and regular for when read?
ok, I updated my config panel thing with 2 new options: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php?action=configread :P

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Does the information include the last read post of that thread?
It stores the time you last visited the thread, but nothing about posts.
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Dane on 12-08-2007 at 09:56 AM

Suggestion: Add a link to the "configread" control panel on the latest.php page.

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-08-2007 at 10:27 AM

andrey made his own versions of the thread icons, and I'm thinking about uploading them... opinions? [Image: zippymmm.gif]

[Image: y8m3fsp6-compare_andrey.png]

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Suggestion: Add a link to the "configread" control panel on the latest.php page.
Yeah, I will... I just need to decide where to put the link. :tongue:
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Zahid™ on 12-08-2007 at 10:30 AM

Coloured dots (y).

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by CookieRevised on 12-08-2007 at 10:39 AM

Why are the colors (and even some icons themselfs) different in the "andrey" and "coloured dots" series compared to the "current" ones? Its like almost a entire new set instead of the normal set with just some added dots.

And the colors of the no-new-posts icons in the altered series (andrey and coloured) are way too light imho, especially on a white background.

So my choice: the "current" set because they are still the same icons.

use a decent graphics program and such color chances wont happen :refuck:

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-08-2007 at 10:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Why are the colors (and even some icons themselfs) different in the "andrey" and "coloured dots" series compared to the "current" ones?
Because andrey intentionally changed them. :p

You don't think it's an improvement? (&)
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Nathan on 12-08-2007 at 11:01 AM

Can we have the option to have italics instead of bold please, because it looks quite ugly with all the bold writing - but its a good idea.

So if you haven't read them then they are italicised and if they are read they are normal.

please (A)`

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by CookieRevised on 12-08-2007 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Why are the colors (and even some icons themselfs) different in the "andrey" and "coloured dots" series compared to the "current" ones?
intentionally? In that case I haven't said anything....

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You don't think it's an improvement? (&)
I find them a bit too light... just a small bit though... I'm probably nitpicking....

Though I think I like the triangles a bit more than the blended stars. Way clearer to see where you've posted... But I understand that the 'skinners' amung us might find them ugly :p

PS: Marking the icons is indeed a welcome improvement though (y)
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Sunshine on 12-08-2007 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
ok, I updated my config panel thing with 2 new options: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php?action=configread :P

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by andrey on 12-08-2007 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Yup indeed, I didn't just add the dots, but I actually remade all the icons for a cleaner and more consistent look.
(For example in the current set, the red icons are completely red, while the blue ones are only partly blue, which looks odd imho) :p

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid&#8482;
Coloured dots (y).
Indeed, I think they fit in better than the grey dots.
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Dane on 12-08-2007 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

How about you add it to the bottom links, ex.

quote:
Originally posted by Current Version of Latest.php

[Show threads you posted in | Show unanswered threads | Hide Forums]

Becomes...

quote:
Originally posted by Future Version of Latest.php

[Show threads you posted in | Show unanswered threads | Hide Forums | Configure Posts]

RE: RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by djdannyp on 12-08-2007 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
andrey made his own versions of the thread icons, and I'm thinking about uploading them... opinions? [Image: zippymmm.gif]

[Image: y8m3fsp6-compare_andrey.png]

quote:
Originally posted by Dane

i think a fourth option would actually be good:

the same colourings as the bottom 2 styles, but with the black triangles from the first style.....i think that's a really neat and tidy symbol the whole black triangle business
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by John Anderton on 12-08-2007 at 07:53 PM

I had heard you'd move to the new read thread stuff ages ago. Good to see its finally out ;)
Good job :)

RE: RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Sunshine on 12-11-2007 at 01:55 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

Why doesn't the bold stay like enabling the feature does? Everytime i close my browser (delete cookies) i have to go to the page again to set it :(
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-11-2007 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Why doesn't the bold stay like enabling the feature does? Everytime i close my browser (delete cookies) i have to go to the page again to set it :(
All of the settings for the Latest Posts page are stored in a cookie called latestOptions: hidden forums, refresh, ignore last visit, bold subjects, and thread participation icons. If you delete the cookie, everything is back to default.

I could move the settings to a database field eventually, but using the cookie is easier for me, and the cookie works even for users who aren't logged in. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Can we have the option to have italics instead of bold please
I tried italics and it looked awful... :tongue: But if you want to customize the text style for unread threads on the Latest Posts page, you can use Stylish or something with some CSS like this...

code:
.latest_thread .subject strong { font-weight:normal; font-style:italic; }

RE: RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Sunshine on 12-11-2007 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
All of the settings for the Latest Posts page are stored in a cookie called latestOptions: hidden forums, refresh, ignore last visit, bold subjects, and thread participation icons. If you delete the cookie, everything is back to default.

I could move the settings to a database field eventually, but using the cookie is easier for me, and the cookie works even for users who aren't logged in. :p
Bah :(

I'd appreciate it very much if it would be in the database....pwetty pweassssssseeeeeee

Ohh and acessible from User CP....instead of me having to look for this thread or bookmarking the page...
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Nathan on 12-11-2007 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

quote:
Can we have the option to have italics instead of bold please
I tried italics and it looked awful... :tongue: But if you want to customize the text style for unread threads on the Latest Posts page, you can use Stylish or something with some CSS like this...

code:
.latest_thread .subject strong { font-weight:normal; font-style:italic; }

Ok thanks WDZ :)

Maybe you could use both... A cookie and the database, so if they aren't logged in it can use the cookie and vice versa :)

RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by WDZ on 12-20-2007 at 10:45 PM

quote:
I'd appreciate it very much if it would be in the database....pwetty pweassssssseeeeeee
quote:
Maybe you could use both... A cookie and the database, so if they aren't logged in it can use the cookie and vice versa :)
Done and done (yeah, I work slowly :tongue:).

The four boolean options I mentioned above will be stored in the DB now (using a bitfield) for registered users.
RE: Improved thread read/unread marking by Sunshine on 12-20-2007 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
quote:
Done and done (yeah, I work slowly :tongue:).

The four boolean options I mentioned above will be stored in the DB now (using a bitfield) for registered users.
Thanks WDZ (k)