Shoutbox

Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. (/showthread.php?tid=80253)

Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-20-2007 at 06:23 AM

As the tittle says im new to skinning and new to codding.

1. How do you change the text colour of things? Eg the text colour of string "61288".

2. I have the code

code:
<String Id="698">%1 just sent you a
nudge. I strongly recommend nudging them back for revenge!</String>
Im using  %1 as thats the variable they use(in the file msglang_strings which is how you find what each string says and does) to stick in someones name on that string. But aparantly, it doesnt work like that with the skinInfo page, as when someone nudges me it says "%1" instead of the name.

3. Would anyone like to test my skin so far for messenger 8.5? I dont have it so im a little helpless(I have 9).Ansewered

Ive attatched a slightly older version of my skin(picture only) to this attatchment.If anyone is willing to test i will add another attatchment with the skin files :)(Ive changend a few things since the time of that screenshot, i want to get it a little bit more finnalised before i make a newer one(werid i know))

4. I would also like to change the backround colour of conversation windows.
Thank you in advance!
RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by John Anderton on 12-20-2007 at 06:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
3. Would anyone like to test my skin so far for messenger 8.5? I dont have it so im a little helpless(I have 9).
I'm not totally sure but I think the resources in 8.5 are different so someone would need to extract them for you and send it to you so that you can edit them (as you did with 9.0) and then package them.
If you read the Skinning docs, you can have different resources for different skins. Just use the restrictions for versions before adding resources which are different for 8.5 and 9.0 :)
RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-20-2007 at 06:50 AM

So ive heard. Well, does anyone have 8.5 packages that they can send to me :) So i can at least START to develop for them?

By the way, thanks for the quick reply :)

Here is the skin so far with minor 8.5 changes. It might work.... but heres me doubting it:D.

And if anyone is wanting to use it for 9.0 or just wants to bug test it, feel free to add it.

Thanks

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-20-2007 at 07:51 AM

hey matt

i know that screenshot is early days yet but it looks pretty good so far, i think the custom scrollbars were a nice touch i may try to implement something like that in the next version of my skin as its a pretty cool idea.

i have zipped up the 8.5 resources for you and attached them to this post, however its a 4.52 megabyte file so depending on how fast your internet connection is it might take some time to download, also im not to sure on the size restrictions on this forum for file attachments so it might not attach.

EDIT:

as i feared it didnt attach due to the size of the file, however i have got your email address from your profile and have emailed the resources to you, i do have 8.5 installed over here on my dads pc so am happy to do some testing for you.

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by Willz on 12-20-2007 at 10:33 AM

Any WLM 9.0 UIfile will only work under WLM 9.0. It is not backwards compatible nor will it be compatible with say wlm 9.5 or 10 (the next major version)

The same goes for 8.5. 8.5 UIfile code is for 8.5 only.

I've explained the reason why it is like that so many times that i can't be bothered now :P so if you really wanna know just look at my tutorial thread.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79906

*Also even if you didn't touch UIFile code and only did image replaces it won't work properly since 9.0 has a lot of image ID changes.

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-20-2007 at 11:04 AM

thats very true wills, in my skin i have compatability for 8.5 and 9.0 in total i noticed that 3 images had different id's in 9.0 to what they were in 8.5 but some did stay the same. if he created 2 subfolders in his skins directory 1 for 8.5 and 1 for 9.0 puts the relevant versions uifiles in the corresponding directory and creates a resgroup for each version then it should work on both.

now willz is a skin tutorial expert so i do recommend taking a look at his tutorial cause even if the answers you need arent in there now they will be eventually.

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-20-2007 at 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the great replys :D.

@stuartbennett. Thanks for your comments and thanks for the resource files!

@Willz I did understand this, but, i was looking through some of the simpler skins made, and there was only 1 or 2 restriction changes.

Thanks alot guys! :D

But i really need the first 2 questions ansewer also(and the 4th one) :P

EDIT: And i dont plan on making a skin as complicated as yours willz(Very talented skinner you are, i havent acctually used it(since its not for 9) but i had a look through your scripting, very nice :D (Y))

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by Nathan on 12-20-2007 at 12:44 PM

Oh, and to get you on your way maybe use a different editor, one with syntax highlighting!

My preference is notepad++ and I recommend that you use it :)

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Keep at it :)

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-20-2007 at 12:47 PM

I like UltraEdit(UEStudio in specific). Its great! I didnt really like Notepad++ 5 years ago. I might give it another go now though, should've changend at least a bit..... but yes, i need to have my first 2(and 4th) questions ansewered :P

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by Willz on 12-20-2007 at 12:55 PM

you cant edit the colour of a string just by itself, you need to find it in the UIFile code under the styles section and then use the foreground tag to change its colour for each and every instance (and thats if its there)

secondly, any string you replace is static and can not contain any dynamic content in it.

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-20-2007 at 01:00 PM

Ok thanks for that, so what if i have a heavly modified login page made by someone else, that didnt have it stated? What should i do?

RE: RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by Willz on 12-20-2007 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Ok thanks for that, so what if i have a heavly modified login page made by someone else, that didnt have it stated? What should i do?

Well you got to talk to whoever made it then. I just hope you asked permission to use it before you started ;)

Its not a good idea when you are starting to just use a more complex example.  Its better to start fresh because then you can keep track of changes easier and know where things are and how your skin works back to front.

Also not all strings are shown in UIFile code, the majority of strings get controlled by elements to define their color and properties.
RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by CookieRevised on 12-20-2007 at 01:50 PM

quote:
2. I have the code
code:
<String Id="698">%1 just sent you a
nudge. I strongly recommend nudging them back for revenge!</String>
Im using  %1 as thats the variable they use(in the file msglang_strings which is how you find what each string says and does) to stick in someones name on that string. But aparantly, it doesnt work like that with the skinInfo page, as when someone nudges me it says "%1" instead of the name.
IDs of string resources usually stay the same between versions. The same with this string ID, it hasn't changed since MSN Messenger 7.0.

However, be carefull with it! The string resources are language dependant. This means that if you change something in it, you overwrite the user's language. And it doesn't look good at all if you have Messenger in Spanish (for example) and suddenly see an English string popping up here and there.

The reason why placeholders like '%1' aren't parsed is unknown to me. Maybe this might be a bug in the skinning engine (or even a limitation?).
RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by freak544 on 12-20-2007 at 04:47 PM

As people have said you will need to edit the definiton/style files like I have done for my skin
I had to change some of the black text to white so that they will show up
It's just a case of going through the styles and definitons to find the part you want to change
The changes I made in mine were to the 1001 definition file in which i changed the colour of the status text and the PSM aswell as the main name you use I am use someone can appoint ou to the correct file you need to change the text in the contact list window

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 12:16 AM

Hmmm, am i in the right file?

code:
urlelem[id=atom(idForgetMeBtn)]
{
    Content:"(Forget &me)";
    accname:"(Forget &me)";
    accdesc:"Remove my sign-in information from this computer";
    shortcut:rcchar(61291);
}
Checkbox[id=atom(idRememberPasswordChk)]
{
    text:"&Remember my password";
    accname:"&Remember my password";
    accdesc:"Remember my password on this computer";
    shortcut:rcchar(61295);
    accdefaction:"Press";
    Margin:rect(4,3,4,3);
}
Checkbox[id=atom(idMakeDefaultUserChk)]
{
    text:"Sig&n me in automatically";
    accname:"Sig&n me in automatically";
    accdesc:"Sign me in automatically";
    shortcut:rcchar(61298);
}
element[id=atom(idSignInHint)]

As these values dont have any rgb values(but some above do)

I have attatched the image of my login screen with red lines pointing to what text i need to have changend.
RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by freak544 on 12-21-2007 at 12:25 AM

I am also trying to work out ow to change the text colour there but the Messenger Beta is a picture as I changed it in mine

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 12:28 AM

I found the picture for when your not in the login screen, but so far i havent found the image for the login screen. What ID is it?

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by freak544 on 12-21-2007 at 12:29 AM

The ID I used is 703

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 12:32 AM

Thanks

RE: Im new to skinning(And new to codding to)and i need some help. by freak544 on 12-21-2007 at 12:33 AM

Its ok no problem and if i work out how to change the rest of the text colours on that page I will let you know but I am sure someone who knows could tell you

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 01:23 AM

Thanks that worked :).

Hmmm, a problem i have found. 701, 703 and 706. Are the images for the login screen at the top(Where it says Windows Live Messenger Beta normally)but there also the images of the WLM toasts.....

So the question is, whats the id for the backround image of the toast? Or is it a coded gradient or something simaler? If so, how do you make it an image?

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by CookieRevised on 12-21-2007 at 02:34 AM

quote:
Hmmm, am i in the right file?

code:
urlelem[id=atom(idForgetMeBtn)]
{
    Content:"(Forget &me)";
    accname:"(Forget &me)";
    accdesc:"Remove my sign-in information from this computer";
    shortcut:rcchar(61291);
}
{
    text:"&Remember my password";
    accname:"&Remember my password";
    accdesc:"Remember my password on this computer";
}
Checkbox[id=atom(idMakeDefaultUserChk)]
{
    text:"Sig&n me in automatically";
    accname:"Sig&n me in automatically";
    accdesc:"Sign me in automatically";
    shortcut:rcchar(61298);
}
element[id=atom(idSignInHint)]

mattisdada,

I have a strong feeling that you're editing the wrong files.

Do not use the files located in the "Consolidated Windows" directory to make your skin!

The files in the directory "Consolidated Windows" are only there for your own convenience. To provide a quick-view to which windows are build up with which files. They are not meant to be changed.

Using those files to base your skin on will make that the skin will quite possible not work properly on other people's Messenger. Especially if that Messenger is in another language.

You need to edit and base your skin on the files located in the other directories. Again, the "Consolidated Windows" directory is only to be used as a reference; a quick-view, nothing else.

See the very important official scripting documentation, which is a must-read for any skinner (even more than the scripting documentation is for scripting!), unless you want to do extra work and/or screw things up.

(which also explains how you can add extra images if you want different images for the login screen and the toast, for example)

;)
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 02:38 AM

Ohhh, thank you very much CookieRevised. I had a look through alot of the skinning documentation..... alot of it i didnt understand :D.

Well in the folder Windows, and in the folders definition and style. Neither of the 947 documents there had what i was looking for.

Could someone give me an example of changing the text colour on the login page for one of thouse?

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-21-2007 at 08:44 AM

ok matt heres what you do open up your 947 styles file the block of code you need to edit is on lines 545 - 549 im using a text editor that shows line numbers (notepad++)

the code will look like this

quote:
Element[class="CommonLabel"]
{
Fontface:rcstr(20071);
Fontsize:rcint(20102)pt;
}

change it to this

quote:
{
Foreground:rgb (255,255,255);
Fontface:rcstr(20071);
Fontsize:rcint(20102)pt;
}

this block controls all the text you pointed to, i use 255,255,255 as the rgb reference in the above code which will turn all that text white however you can use whatever colour you prefer in its place

regarding the images at the top 701, 703 & 706 yes they are also in the toasts change these images to a colour you prefer and reference them in your skininfo file in the replace section of your resgroup, toasts are in window 921 so if you wanna use seperate version of these images in the toast edit the 921 styles file

i hope this helps.
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by aNILEator on 12-21-2007 at 09:21 AM

Consolidated Definitions are Fine, just not consolidated Styles.
Unless you plan on restricting only to your language.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for the great and VERY helpfull post stuartbennett!! You've helped alot with this skin! :D

Hmm, didnt APPEAR to change anything... sure its "common lable"?

Oh and for future reference, how do i find out what these are? For example, jsut say i wanted to change the text colour of the text colour of the [screen name] says: part.

Btw, my code was

code:
{
Foreground:rcclr(20740);
Fontface:rcstr(20953);
Foreground:rgb (255,255,255);
Fontsize:rcint(20958)pt;
}

My version is 9 btw.
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-21-2007 at 10:51 AM

your welcome matt anything to help, its just like patchou said in the skinning documentation - you can ask people for help in the forums should you need it, all we ask is that when you get some experience you help others on the things you know how to do.

well that wasnt his exact words but thats more or less what he was getting at and i strongly agree with him which is why im always happy to help where i can.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 10:58 AM

Very good work.(It didnt work, see above post).

Oh and i know exactly what you mean! At the Sv2 forums(support forums for metaBB(great forum engine (Y)) im always theres helping any users i can.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-21-2007 at 11:21 AM

in the 9.0 version of the 947 styles file its on lines 554 - 560, code is shown below

quote:
{
Foreground:rcclr(20740);
Fontface:rcstr(20953);
Fontsize:rcint(20958)pt;
foreground:rgb(0,0,0);
}

and just change the foreground on line 559 to the colour of your choice, i lifted this code directly from my own skins 9.0 style file so it should work however if it doesnt let me know and ill try to help you further.
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 11:28 AM

:| Nope didnt work..... :(

Heres link to skin, see if you can fix it.(This is before i tried doing it, so freash slate)

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=875858

Note: Thank you so much!!!(Y) when i get to 100 posts ill rep you.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-21-2007 at 12:10 PM

in your resgroup for 9.0 compatability you had listed 2 instances of the 947 styles file, because of that it didnt know which copy to use, ive fixed that but still getting no joy.

the only thing i can think of that stands out is this block of code from your universal resgroup

quote:
                    <Windows>
                        <Styles>
                            <Style Id="1004"><File>1004.style.txt</File></Style>
                            <Style Id="44104"><File>44104.style.txt</File></Style>
                            <Style Id="45704"><File>45704.style.txt</File></Style>
                        </Styles>
                    </Windows>

this 3 style files do not appear anywhere in your skins folder as a result im assuming that when it looks for this files and cant find them it causes a problem that prevents it from loading the skin properly, if you are not including these files i would suggest removing this code, if you do intend to include these files then theorectically everything should work once they have been added

please note that im not 100% sure about what if any effect these 3 files have on your skin if they are or are not present.

please let me know how it goes, the new skinpack is attached.
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 12:12 PM

Yeah i DID have them, ive still gotta clean up my skin info. I might bring em back though.

And removing them and another one that wasnt needed(1009) anymore didnt seem to change anything...

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by aNILEator on 12-21-2007 at 12:23 PM

Stuart has my fix issued to you last night caused any problems with the dashboard, mine is now making the today button invisible :S

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-21-2007 at 12:58 PM

i cannot get rid of the today button for love nor money but cannot get sharingfolders button to display at all

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 01:44 PM

All of mine are there...

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-21-2007 at 02:35 PM

its nothing to worry about matt, in my skin i added an options panel to allow users to say whether they wanted the word wheel at the top or the bottom, as a result of doing that its causing problems with both mine and anils dashboard buttons where buttons will go invisible when they arent supposed to.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-21-2007 at 11:11 PM

Thats werid.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by aNILEator on 12-22-2007 at 12:57 AM

SERIOUSLY GET MY FREAKING NAME RIGHT!!!!!!!

What is with people spelling it wrong all the time now :(

My username is aNILEator my real name is Nile, just choose one :P and please don't mix about the CAPitals or change some letters about or whatever the hell is going on next :P

PS. Patchou is the worst I think :P

There just seems to be some really weird issues with 1001 Definition editing, Mine's playing up on random usually it's fine though, and the buttons haven't been "invisiblising" themselves in a while

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 01:16 AM

Yeah theres this werid thing with the skinning engine, i have NO idea what goes wrong. But you change something, and then the skin just stops working completly, and i have to restore it. But nothing changes..... Its so werid, it has happened 3 times now.

But oh well. and

quote:
Yeah that wasnt what i was suggesting :P I was suggesting  more what i posted after he asked for examples :P

But yeah, the Plus! Options thing is going to be hard for me. Ill give it a go, see what i can do.

Well ive got this far

Ive added in the option
code:
<Options><Skin>       

<Properties>

<BoolVal Name="Funny">
                <DispLabel>Add In Humour</DispLabel>
                <DispHelp>Tick to replace certain words in messenger with funnier

things.</DispHelp>
                <Default>false</Default>
            </BoolVal>
        </Properties>       

</Skin></Options>

And i know i have to add this somewhere in a deffinition file
code:
<*PlusSkin Conditions(Funny = true) *></*PlusSkin*>

Thats about as far as ive got. I have no idea where to put that file for strings and what not.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by aNILEator on 12-22-2007 at 01:30 AM

No it's all in the strings file yeah, take a look at how Sunny activates her options in the SkinInfo, you'll simple need your option to activate the strings replacement section in SkinInfo you shouldn't even need to touch the defs or styles for that :)

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 01:33 AM

So put <*PlusSkin Conditions(Funny = true) *></*PlusSkin*> in SkinInfo?

I tried that it stuffed up.... maybe i stuffed up.. ill have another go.

EDIT: Yeah didnt work.... ill download sunny's skin and have a look at how she did it.

Had a look through sunnys..... didnt help... me.... dumb.... i am.....
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-22-2007 at 08:07 AM

matt the easiest way i think of doing this is first plan your changes, go to the strings and colours folder of your messenger resources in there is a file called "msglang_strings.txt" now then go through this file writing down the id's of the strings you want to replace.

once youve done that open your skininfo file, i will assume that as your supporting 2 versions of messenger you have 2 seperate resgroups 1 for 9.0 and one for 8.5 yes?

if that is the case i need you to duplicate them so that you have 2 resgroups for 8.5 and 2 for 9.0, youll have the following groups

• 8.5 funny false
    8.5 funny true
    9.0 funny false
    9.0 funny true

then you want to add a skinoptions set in each resgroup which when done should look something like this.

quote:
        <!-- ResGroup for 8.5 funny true-->
        <ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                    <Version Major="8" Minor="5"/>
                </MsgVersions>
                <SkinOptions>
                    <OptionSet>
                        <BoolVal Name="Funny">true</BoolVal>
                    </OptionSet>
                </SkinOptions>
            </Restrictions>
            <Resources>

now in the true groups go to your replace section, start adding string tage in there remember they must preceed any other tags in this section, you have the ids you need so key in a string for each id.

when your skin runs it will scan the resgroups if youv unticked funny it will run the funny false group for that version of messenger, if its ticked itll run the fun true group for that version which has your string replacements.

im not saying this is the only way of acheiving this or that its the best, however its the only way i know of doing this that i know will work.

let me know how this works out.
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 09:37 AM

DIdnt work.... but at least it didnt error...

code:
<ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                    <Version Major="9" Minor="0"/>

</MsgVersions>
            <SkinOptions>
<OptionSet>
<String Id="708">You cannot send a nudge to your contact because they're using a version of Messenger

that does not support this feature.</String>
</OptionSet>
</SkinOptions>
            </Restrictions>

Is what i had
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-22-2007 at 10:05 AM

firstly get the start of each resgroup to look like this

quote:
<!-- ResGroup for 8.5 funny true-->
<ResGroup>
<Restrictions>
<MsgVersions>
<Version Major="8" Minor="5"/>
</MsgVersions>
<SkinOptions>
<OptionSet>
</OptionSet>
</SkinOptions>
</Restrictions>
<Resources>

using the relevant version numbers etc. after doing this in your true resgroups go to just under the <Replace> tag and put your strings tags in as shown in the example shown below.

quote:
</New>
<Replace>
<Strings>
<String id="708">You cannot send a nudge to your contact because they're using a version of Messenger that does not support this feature.
</string>
</strings>
<Windows>
Definitions>

then repeat the

quote:
<String id="708">You cannot send a nudge to your contact because they're using a version of Messenger that does not support this feature.
</string>

tags for each string you wish to add, if you have any problems let me know, i have added you to messenger and am happy to help if you get stuck.
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 10:09 AM

So by the <BoolVal Name="Funny">true</BoolVal> being in that group it will check if thats true?

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-22-2007 at 11:36 AM

yes thats correct and you do a false version in the false groups, when you run a skin it first looks at the compatability tag to see if its compatable with your messenger if it is it looks for a resgroup for your version, in your skin itll find 2 of them it then looks at the 2 the false one and true one see if youve ticked the funny tickbox if you have it runs the true resgroup if you havent it runs the false resgroup.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 03:13 PM

Yay it worked.

Thank you SOOOO much for all your fantastic help. If i do release this skin i will defintly put your name in the who did it thing.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-22-2007 at 04:02 PM

thanks mattis i really appreciate that, it was a pleasure to help.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-23-2007 at 08:15 AM

Ok, so everything is working. Now i just need some ideas for things to replace. Anyone got any ideas?

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by aNILEator on 12-23-2007 at 11:48 AM

Everything absolutely everything MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-23-2007 at 11:50 AM

HIS MAD!

Oh and when i said "what should i replace"

I meant replacing strings for funnys :P.

Eg.
"You should never give out your password or credit card number"
becomes
"You should never give out your password or credit card number, or unless you want to be scammed and robbed.... then please, send them immediately  to me at www.RRElive.com "

"Your messege could not be deliverd to all recipents."
becomes
"The message could not be delivered to all recipients, please check your number and try again."

"[name] has just sent a nudge"
becomes
"[name] just sent you a nudge. I strongly recommend nudging them back for revenge!"

Ive got tones more allready :D

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by aNILEator on 12-23-2007 at 12:02 PM

Yeah I gave up on strings replacement, I edited the whole strings.txt then realised I gotta do each one separately in SkinInfo :( Beaver and Steve Skin was designed to have lots of strings changed to include the word "unfeasible" "adventure" "Beaver says" "Blame Steve"

"There appears to be a problem with your connection. Blame Steve"
"Beaver says that you're about to send a potentially dangerous file"
"Your contact appears to be away. Maybe they're having an unfeasible adventure"

etc. You get the drift, :P

In the comic beaver is fairly sensible and almost like a mother figure to Steve who will most likely conduct a science experiment that will go horribly wrong, or bake a demon summoning cake or 2, so my edits played on their traits :P

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-23-2007 at 12:04 PM

Hahah cool as!

I wish you could just use the index, itd make the whole process a bit quicker. But meh, you just have to add <String Id=""> and </String> to it...

My Status away one is"%1 is %2. But we all know there lying,there on there but just ignoring you... nudge em!"(%1 name)(%2 status)

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by aNILEator on 12-23-2007 at 12:13 PM

Your spelling and grammar is terrible then :P

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-23-2007 at 12:16 PM

Shhh, its not that bad! :D. Its spelt right in my officiall one.

Hehe, i just made my "[name] is typing..." thing. To "%1 is writing a detailed plan to rule the world."

:D

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by vaccination on 12-31-2007 at 08:08 PM

Anyone ever find a solution to mattisdada's problem with editing the colours of the strings on the logon window?

I am looking specifically to change the colour of the "Remember me" "Remember my password" and "Sign me in automatically" strings. I changed the element ComonLabel, but that only changed the colour of the "E-mail address:" and "Sign in as <status>" strings. I've tried editing everything else in the 947 Style that has anything to do with font but none seem to change the strings I want.

Help please (Smilie)

Using 8.5 btw.

RE: RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-31-2007 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Anyone ever find a solution to mattisdada's problem with editing the colours of the strings on the logon window?

I am looking specifically to change the colour of the "Remember me" "Remember my password" and "Sign me in automatically" strings. I changed the element ComonLabel, but that only changed the colour of the "E-mail address:" and "Sign in as <status>" strings. I've tried editing everything else in the 947 Style that has anything to do with font but none seem to change the strings I want.

Help please (Smilie)

Using 8.5 btw.

pretty simple vaccination heres how you do it, the string ids are listed below.

quote:
61288=Remem&ber me
61289=Saves your e-mail address and status on this computer
61291=(Forget &me)
61294=Remove my sign-in information from this computer
61295=&Remember my password

so now go to 947 styles file and do ctrl+f and type in 61288 the code your looking for is:

quote:
Checkbox[id=atom(idRememberMeChk)]
{
text:rcstr(61288);
accname:rcstr(61288);
accdesc:rcstr(61289);
shortcut:rcchar(61288);
Margin:rcrect(20048);
Foreground:rgb(255,255,255); // added in
}

the foreground line wont be there but if you add that in setting your colour to whatever you desire then itll work now lets do remember my password which i string 61295 so we search for 61295 and viola

quote:
{
text:rcstr(61295);
accname:rcstr(61295);
accdesc:rcstr(61296);
accdefaction:rcstr(20068);
Margin:rcrect(20048);
Foreground:rgb(255,255,255); // added in
}

again as the comments indicate the foreground line was added in to do the colour, if you wanna colour the text "Windows live ID which is in the bottom left hand corner of login screen its id is 20000 and you guessed it same process as the other 2.

i hope this helped vaccination any problems dont hesitate to ask me.
RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by vaccination on 12-31-2007 at 09:14 PM

Ah, thanks! The ids is just what I needed, thanks again.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-31-2007 at 10:50 PM

your welcome vaccination glad i could help.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-31-2007 at 11:16 PM

Thanks Staurat!! TGhat helped me alot!(I sorta paused my skin devolpment for a bit, i got a book on php and mysql coding for christmas... sorta distracted me :P)

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 12-31-2007 at 11:47 PM

your welcome mattisdada, you see me and jason just keep playing with thing, we are very curios about what things do we also have big ideas we may not know how to do them at first but we have great fun trying to find the solutions ourselves, its great cause we keep emailing each other skin packs so if we break something we can you reload the last working skinpack from before we messed up

we have learned alot about skinning in the past few weeks and continue to learn and of course we are both happy to share whatever we learn with anyone who needs our help.

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by mattisdada on 12-31-2007 at 11:54 PM

Awesome! (Y). Your help is always apriccated :)

RE: Im new to skinning messenger(And new to codding XML)and i need some help. by stuartbennett on 01-01-2008 at 09:54 AM

your welcome mattisdada its nice to be appreciated and to get that warm fuzzy feeling inside from knowing i have helped someone. for years now ive also looked up to people like cokkierevised etc because they were helpful in areas where i couldnt be and always felt bad about not being as smart as them, now that ive exceled in an area of messenger plus i now strive to make up for years of not being able to contribute help.