Shoutbox

contact has started a new chat? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: contact has started a new chat? (/showthread.php?tid=83309)

contact has started a new chat? by thumbell17 on 04-21-2008 at 06:15 AM

hey i was wondering...Messenger Plus has a feature to allow u to see when a contact has started a new chat....but i don't think it works...i've never actually seen it pop up....does any1 else have this problem?

RE: contact has started a new chat? by Chris4 on 04-21-2008 at 06:38 AM

There isn't a feature in MP!L which tells you that..?

There was a script, but...

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
It is no longer possible due to the way the protocol works.

However, you can be notified when your contact is typing..

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
The best suggestion is the Typing Notifier posted by CookieRevised.

Download from here.
RE: contact has started a new chat? by thumbell17 on 04-21-2008 at 07:45 AM

typing to some1 else?

i don't mean to sound dumb....but i think a contact is showing up as idle when he's really not...and the person is at the pc...typing away....is there any way i can tell this
RE: contact has started a new chat? by Chris4 on 04-21-2008 at 10:22 AM

It's possible to use a script to set yourself as Idle.

I don't know of a way to tell if they're there or not.

RE: contact has started a new chat? by thumbell17 on 04-21-2008 at 07:05 PM

ok...but i can be notifyed if a contact is typing....is that typing only to me....or to any1?

RE: contact has started a new chat? by Spunky on 04-21-2008 at 09:07 PM

Only typing to you... I don't see any reason the Messenger Team would want to breach your contacts privacy by telling you who they were speaking to.

@Mods: Why was my first post deleted? ^o)

RE: RE: contact has started a new chat? by thumbell17 on 04-21-2008 at 09:19 PM

hummmm ok fair enough....so is there anyway to know if a person is using 2 msn accounts at the same time...like polygamy...or if they have one of those chat programs that combines a bunch of messengers?

RE: contact has started a new chat? by Spunky on 04-21-2008 at 09:24 PM

Again, this is a breach of their privacy... Your contacts are entitled to work on their computer without letting everybody discover what they are doing or who with

Not unless you ask him and he's honest

RE: contact has started a new chat? by thumbell17 on 04-21-2008 at 10:02 PM

yeah...lol...that clearly isn't working...but thanx 4 ur help ;)

RE: contact has started a new chat? by ahmetgns on 04-25-2008 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thumbell17
hey i was wondering...Messenger Plus has a feature to allow u to see when a contact has started a new chat....but i don't think it works...i've never actually seen it pop up....does any1 else have this problem?
It works for me. I want to quote something from the FAQ which may help.
quote:
#16. The "Contact has started a chat with you" toast is ... Slow
Yes, it is maybe not what you've expected it to be. This function does not detect if a person opens a converstation with you, only when he starts a chat (and types a message to you)

RE: RE: contact has started a new chat? by djdannyp on 04-25-2008 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
quote:
#16. The "Contact has started a chat with you" toast is ... Slow
Yes, it is maybe not what you've expected it to be. This function does not detect if a person opens a converstation with you, only when he starts a chat (and types a message to you)

i think he means when someone has started a conversation with other people, because he believes that the contact is only pretending to be idle and may be talking to other people
RE: contact has started a new chat? by ahmetgns on 04-25-2008 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
i think he means when someone has started a conversation with other people, because he believes that the contact is only pretending to be idle and may be talking to other people
ok, I see now. Looks like Patchou must find a better wording for that event, it was previously "Started a new chat (with this user only)" now it is "A new one-to-one chat has been started" but it is still not the best.