Shoutbox

The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n (/showthread.php?tid=84777)

The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-11-2008 at 10:15 AM

Hello to everyone,

Its been a while since I have released anything and people are asking what exactly I am up to.

Well asides from working my jobs and living life I have been working on a set of 3 skins which I will launch at some point in the near future (hey don't ask me when, these things can't be rushed)

Now as most of you know the skinning contest is coming (apparently in August so that's not much time away). As most of you may or may not know I will not be entering the contest because of my level of skill and the work I do so it will all be pretty interesting to see who wins.

But one question that has come up is that if I was allowed to enter what skin would I be entering. Well the designer series represents the set of 3 skins which I would have entered if given the chance to.

So I thought for a bit of fun and also to show you guys what I have been up to for the past month or so that I would post my latest skin creation.

This is one of the skins you all would have been up against if I was entering :P

So I present the first skin in the designer series:

Phunk'n
[Image: wegotthephunkdm2.th.png]

Phunk'n is a skin for those who like compact and sleek skins. It has been designed so that it blends with a vast majority of visual styles. Additionally the skin colorizes to perfection.

Phunk'n is also based on a fresh new code base and features smooth fade transitions for the majority of the messenger UI. When combined with the Messenger Plus transparency feature (as pictured) it really does stand out. One of the best things about the skin is how small in size you can make it, its really awesome to have something so small and compact sometimes :P

and to answer the first question some of you may have:

Yes it comes in a white version and yes it is as sleek as the black version.

The best part about the skin is that what is shown here is only the tip of the iceberg and there is a lot more going on in the skin than what it looks like.

And this is just the first skin in the designer series so remember there are another two skins where this one came from. Hmm aren't you glad I can't enter the contest :)

Anyway be on the lookout because I don't plan to keep these skins unreleased for too long!

Willz.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by ryxdp on 07-11-2008 at 10:22 AM

Wow. Six thumbs up. And fade transitions? I'll believe that when I see it :P

Looks awesome, keep it up :D

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Basilis on 07-11-2008 at 10:26 AM

This skin really rocks. Simple and stylish. One thing I noticed is that this skin doesn't have the usual button you have below the MinMaxClose buttons. Anyway, I can't wait to see the other two. :)

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Matti on 07-11-2008 at 10:26 AM

Looking awesome Willz! (H)
Can't wait to get it. ;)

RE: RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-11-2008 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
One thing I noticed is that this skin doesn't have the usual button you have below the MinMaxClose buttons.

I'm trying something different this time around, there may or may not be a menu depending on whether what I have planned works or not :P

Still a lot of work to be done for this.
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Nathan on 07-11-2008 at 11:20 AM

It looks amazing! I wanna beta test

RE: RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Phillip on 07-11-2008 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Looking awesome Willz! (H)
Can't wait to get it. ;)
Yeah I can't wait to rip it get my hands on it to..!
RE: RE: RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-11-2008 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Yeah I can't wait to rip it get my hands on it to..!

pssh, I can always hold off the release till after the skin contest :P
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Basilis on 07-11-2008 at 11:37 AM

You could release all 3 skins after the skinning contest or with the contest results. Then Patchou could release a special version in which there will be your skins and the winners of the contest like it has been done with the scripting contest.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Justin on 07-11-2008 at 12:24 PM

:drool:
Very nice Willz! I can't wait to see the others.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Andylongi on 07-11-2008 at 12:54 PM

Wow congrats WIlliz looks absolutly beautiful cant wait to use it!!

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Nagamasa on 07-11-2008 at 11:41 PM

Nice preview :P

Maybe I should start doing some coding again :P

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by gif83 on 07-11-2008 at 11:50 PM

very nice Willz... have a gold star

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by prashker on 07-12-2008 at 01:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Yes it comes in a white version and yes it is as sleek as the black version.
good :p i was just about to say i don't particularly like black (LOLRACIST)
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by vaccination on 07-12-2008 at 07:50 AM

That's hawwwt.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by mynetx on 07-12-2008 at 08:05 AM

Excellent work Willz! (y) Looking forward to test it.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Eddie on 07-12-2008 at 08:37 AM

Looks good Willz, as usual with your work, loads of effort put into it :)

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Th3rmal on 07-12-2008 at 08:55 AM

quote:
You could release all 3 skins after the skinning contest or with the contest results. Then Patchou could release a special version in which there will be your skins and the winners of the contest like it has been done with the scripting contest.
No thanks, the sooner the better.

The skin looks awesome, been looking for a new skin to try out....have a pat on the back, then get back to work :P
RE: RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Basilis on 07-12-2008 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
No thanks, the sooner the better.

The skin looks awesome, been looking for a new skin to try out....have a pat on the back, then get back to work :P

If you wait for something you enjoy it more when you get it ;) And don't forget that there are two more skins to be created in order for The Designer Series to be complete.

On another note, what I like about the skin is that the black is not actually black but a stylish luminous black. And it seems fantastic with the transparency effect.
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Th3rmal on 07-12-2008 at 09:06 AM

quote:
If you wait for something you enjoy it more when you get it (Smilie)

well ive been waiting a while for a nice new skin so im pretty sure ill enjoy it enough :P
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by mattisdada on 07-13-2008 at 03:45 AM

Hawt.

When will you relese this skin/plan to relese this skin?

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by NanaFreak on 07-13-2008 at 07:35 AM

* NanaFreak sexes willz

that is so hot... i really want it now ]=

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-13-2008 at 11:01 AM

there is no eta on the skin, to be honest I haven't got the slightest clue how long it's going to take. With this set of skins I am spending time really thinking stuff out and making sure things fit together really well. I'm also playing with a few new techniques just to see what else I can do to Messenger.

Plus I want to launch 3 skins at once so even when it is done you won't be seeing it until the other two are done :P

Like I said its not the sorta of thing I want to rush.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Basilis on 07-13-2008 at 11:33 AM

I think Patchou should implement a feature which would allow the skinner to put some transparency in some windows. I mean, you can select the color you think your skin looks more beautiful. The same way you should be able to select the percent of transparency of windows that would make your skin look sexier.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by T-PO on 07-18-2008 at 03:14 PM

Hello Willz,

I have to say... You not only make GREAT skins...

The way you present/announce your skins... WOW, you also know how to make the community WANT them...

Please don't wait too long with the release... please, please....

Regards,

T-PO

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Shiny Rabbit on 07-21-2008 at 08:40 PM

O.O that is HAWT

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Andylongi on 07-21-2008 at 08:56 PM

When will it be avalilable i cant wait to use it?!!!

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by CookieRevised on 07-21-2008 at 09:19 PM

I'm not a big skin user (actually I don't use skins at all. They all look 'too much'), but this again looks very slick. Different, yet very reconizeable... (Y)

quote:
Totally agree...

quote:
Hmm aren't you glad I can't enter the contest :)
So you've already lost, even before the contest... :p (j/k) ;)

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Voldemort on 07-21-2008 at 09:25 PM

my my, someone has a big ego

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by aNILEator on 07-21-2008 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Look to the community that fuels it.

Willz is still a great skin coder and designer no matter what though :P
RE: RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-22-2008 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

Please I always joke around with stuff like that. If what I write comes off as egotistical then just ask those who know me and they'll tell you that I always say stuff like that in good fun and I'm not really serious about it. I don't really go around saying that I am the pinnacle of all awesomeness and everyone should bow to their skinning god (not in a serious sense anyway :P)

You get used to everyone's own quirks over time so yeah.

*edit I should also point out that I'm still working on this thing, so I haven't forgotten about it or anything.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by mattisdada on 07-22-2008 at 12:01 PM

Uhhh, but you dont have to go around saying your the pinnacle of all awesomeness and everyone should bow to there skinning god. We allready bow, and we all know your the pinnacle! :D

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by aNILEator on 07-22-2008 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
We allready bow, and we all know your the pinnacle! (Smilie)

I don't bow. :P

I just know stuff he's working on most of the time and what/how he plans to do it :P
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-27-2008 at 11:53 AM

hmm I'm actually contemplating on releasing this thing as soon as its done. I mean I could wait until the other two skins are done but if they go at the rate this one has gone that could be a while :P I'll make up my mind once I think out the other two a bit more and get an idea of how long they could take,

I am liking this skin so much that I am thinking of doing some extra content for it. I was thinking a Messenger Discovery alert skin (which I've sorta already done) and possibly a Cover Art Display skin so that you can have a music player that matches it. What do people think about that? Would people actually use it if I made it?

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by zach on 07-27-2008 at 12:54 PM

I'll be using this when it comes out.

Why can't you enter the contests?

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by NanaFreak on 07-27-2008 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
I'll be using this when it comes out.

Why can't you enter the contests?
he is a judge...

release it soon willz ]= i really want it
RE: RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-27-2008 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak

he is a judge...

Since when? :P
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Nathan on 07-27-2008 at 01:58 PM

since now.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Basilis on 07-27-2008 at 02:24 PM

I know you aren't entering the contest because we all know you are going to win the first prize so I remember Patchou saying (I am not sure though) that you are going to be a judge.

About the release of Phunk'n. Even if you finish it before the contest, it would be the best to release it when the contest ends. But I think that you could complete all 3 skins and release them together as you had planned as big things need time. Like Plus! 4.50 which took 6 months to be complete but was the best Plus! release ever, these 3 skins would certainly make an impact if they were released together introducing new features and other great things we expect from you. But the decision is yours. :)

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Lou on 07-27-2008 at 08:53 PM

quote:
I know you aren't entering the contest because we all know you are going to win the first prize so I remember Patchou saying (I am not sure though) that you are going to be a judge.

About the release of Phunk'n. Even if you finish it before the contest, it would be the best to release it when the contest ends. But I think that you could complete all 3 skins and release them together as you had planned as big things need time. Like Plus! 4.50 which took 6 months to be complete but was the best Plus! release ever, these 3 skins would certainly make an impact if they were released together introducing new features and other great things we expect from you. But the decision is yours. :)
Believe me, Will has all his plans already. He's thought of just about everything, so I wouldn't worry too much about when he plans to release it. He's going to release it at an appropriate time ;). Also, as far as I know, I don't think Will is supposed to be a judge for anything, but I may have missed a post or two. Correct me, Will, if I am wrong :P.
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 07-27-2008 at 11:27 PM

Yeah Lou this is the first time I am hearing about this judge thing. Like yeah I offered to be a judge when he announced the contest, but it wasn't actually ever confirmed nor given the green light. At this point its still anyone's guess as to how a winner is going to be decided.

Or maybe I did miss something as well, maybe I wasn't paying attention at some point. Who knows.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by aNILEator on 07-27-2008 at 11:32 PM

quote:
At this point its still anyone's guess as to how a winner is going to be decided.
Thumb war, coin toss, pub game, championships!

BRING IT ON!
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by zach on 07-28-2008 at 04:14 AM

I can kinda see how it's fair to encourage others and give them a reasonable chance of winning, but I haven't heard of excluding a contestant because they are too good :^)

RE: RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Volv on 07-28-2008 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
but I haven't heard of excluding a contestant because they are too good :^)
Well Willz does already get paid/contracted to release most skins so it would be a bit unfair :)
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by zach on 07-28-2008 at 07:15 AM

That's what I wanted to know, thanks.

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Basilis on 07-28-2008 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Like yeah I offered to be a judge when he announced the contest, but it wasn't actually ever confirmed nor given the green light.
That was what I remembered but I misunderstood it. I thought it was already decided that you were going to be a judge. Anyway, few days left till August so we will all know the details of the contest soon. ;)
RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by CookieRevised on 07-28-2008 at 10:01 AM

Off topic, but I think most people already assume that he is going to be a judge... kind of obvious/natural I think. Would be dissapointing when he isn't :D

Letting Willz participate is like letting a grownup participate in a children's run ;)

Willz is too modest :p:bow:

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by PaUrAzZ on 07-28-2008 at 07:08 PM

Willz when pubblic your new skin?

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Willz on 08-12-2008 at 01:44 AM

I forgot to update this thread when I posted a new preview over at designevolved. Oh well here it is for those that didn't catch it.

Phunk'n is coming in two editions rather than the one package due to the restrictions that Messenger Plus skins have.

Phunk'n - Infusco for black and Phunk'n - Niveus for white.

Screenshot.

[Image: feelthephunk.png]

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Basilis on 08-12-2008 at 03:57 AM

The white one looks impressive and sexy too! I prefer the Infusco though. Hey, you invented nice names! :)

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by NanaFreak on 08-12-2008 at 03:59 AM

oooooo i dunno what colour i want to use!!!!

RE: The Designer Series Preview 1 - Phunk'n by Voldemort on 08-12-2008 at 09:13 PM

i was kidding with the ego thing :p