Shoutbox

New problem with Messenger Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: New problem with Messenger Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=86957)

New problem with Messenger Plus! by xonaught on 10-30-2008 at 04:50 PM

Hello  everyone. Im got a new problem with my messenger out of the blue. I was using a skin called Oil Slick in Messenger Plus! All of a sudden when I started up messenger all I saw was a blank window, no minimize, close, sign in buttons, completely blank. I did everything I could, nothing happened. Now I want to re-install Messenger Plus!, an error comes up ,"An error has occured while accessing Lng_Ararabic.ini" Please make sure that Messenger and Messenger Plus! and try again. If you keep getting this message, restart your computer.

The list of things I did:

1) reinstalled Messenger Plus! and windows live Messenger (Btw, my Messenger Plus! is 4.70, and my windows live Messenger is version 8.5)
2)System restore
3)repaired through add/remove programs
4)looked through the forums
5)went for other help online

Please help me if there is a way. I do not have the smilely programs on my computer, so dont ask, i saw that reply way too often. 

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by maxrase on 10-31-2008 at 08:35 AM

Try this :

• Close Windows Live Messenger

• Open "Start", "Run" and write regedit.

• Go to : HKEY_USERS\[your user number]\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live and find the key named "LanguageFile", right clic and "Modify" and change "Lng_Arabic.ini" into "Lng_Default.ini" or another language.

Try to re-install MPL and tell us if it works ;)
RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by xonaught on 10-31-2008 at 09:26 AM

Went there, and Lng_default.ini already exsists. I installed Messenger Plus! Live on to my Desktop, it works, but the last remaining problem are my skins. Im using the correct versions for the skins, but now none of my messenger skins work. I apply them, and my messenger wont open. I can still sign in from the taskbar though, but thats all, the window wont appear.

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by maxrase on 10-31-2008 at 10:17 AM

Did you apply any patch such as A-Patch or MessPatch ?

You repaired Messenger Plus! Live or WLM (or both) ?

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by xonaught on 10-31-2008 at 12:31 PM

Messenger Plus! just stopped working out of the blue. No patches installed. I repaired Mesenger Plus! using the reapir function the installation has.

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by maxrase on 10-31-2008 at 12:59 PM

Uninstall Messenger Plus! Live and after delete the skin folder in

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live

Does it work ?

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by HextremeX on 11-02-2008 at 04:00 PM

I experinced the same problem too!!

Can someone help me please??

RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by maxrase on 11-02-2008 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HextremeX
I experinced the same problem too!!

Can someone help me please??

Can you explain a little bit more ? It was the same problem with the same language ?

Did you try all the solutions in the previous posts ?
RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by HextremeX on 11-02-2008 at 04:50 PM

mine has no pop-ups or anything..my WLM is version 8.5..my PLus! is version 7.0.. I can't apply any skins at all..some skins when i import them and apply them, my messenger closes and does not restart.. for other skins, my messenger closes and restarts wid a totally black window.. any advice? or is there a problem with any of the versions or skins?

I also re-installed Plus! 6 times.. deleted the skins folder too.. i also re-installed WLM.. but to no avail..
RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by djdannyp on 11-02-2008 at 07:50 PM

quote:
mine has no pop-ups or anything..my WLM is version 8.5..my PLus! is version 7.0.. I can't apply any skins at all..some skins when i import them and apply them, my messenger closes and does not restart.. for other skins, my messenger closes and restarts wid a totally black window.. any advice? or is there a problem with any of the versions or skins?
I also re-installed Plus! 6 times.. deleted the skins folder too.. i also re-installed WLM.. but to no avail..

try using this to download plus

it solved the problem for someone else who was experiencing it
RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by HextremeX on 11-03-2008 at 01:14 AM

My msn build is 8.5. 1302. 1018 .  My Messenger Plus! version is 4.79.0.342 (BETA). I tried to download from the link you provided but I still cant apply skins.

RE: how do I make messenger plus work with the latest windows live messenger 9.0 by Rolando on 11-03-2008 at 01:56 AM

There are currently no skins available for Windows Live Messenger 2009. If you do have 8.5, you need to download Messenger Plus! Live version 4.70.334, not the beta (Click here).. that's the one that's meant for 8.5

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by xonaught on 11-03-2008 at 03:43 AM

ok, basically i am experiencing the same problem as HextremeX. It just stopped working for me out of the blue. It was doing fine for almost a year already. Then one day, messenger started up with a black screen...

I tried removing the skin folder after unintallation, still the same.

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by HextremeX on 11-03-2008 at 04:45 AM

Tried now i my WLM is 8.5 and my Plus! is 4.70. However, still can't apply any skins? any other suggestions? thanks.

RE: RE: how do I make messenger plus work with the latest windows live messenger 9.0 by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 06:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
There are currently no skins available for Windows Live Messenger 2009. If you do have 8.5, you need to download Messenger Plus! Live version 4.70.334, not the beta (Click here).. that's the one that's meant for 8.5

4.79 is also meant for 8.5, it just also features compatibility for WLM 9/14.

I've found that a few problems recently to do with messenger showing up blank have been solved by upgrading Plus
RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by HextremeX on 11-03-2008 at 07:34 AM

I've tried both 4.79 and 4.70 and both seems to have the same problem. My msn skins only stopped working after the 4.79 version was released. Are there any alternative solutions?

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 08:23 AM

Which skins are you trying to use?

Have you tried deleting them and re-downloading them?

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by xonaught on 11-03-2008 at 11:05 AM

if you ask me, i think its a spreading problem. my brother just got affected by the same problem too. someone help us please!

RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xonaught
if you ask me, i think its a spreading problem. my brother just got affected by the same problem too. someone help us please!

Have you tried uninstalling everything (messenger and plus) and then re-installing messenger and seeing if it works by itself?
RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by xonaught on 11-03-2008 at 03:03 PM

re-install, system restore, everything, all tried, same results

RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 03:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xonaught
re-install, system restore, everything, all tried, same results

Can you please post a screenshot of what happens?
RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by HextremeX on 11-05-2008 at 06:19 PM

I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like. No error messages whatsoever, just a blank, black screen. I've tried to apply all kinds of skins such as Oil slick and many others but none of them can work. By the way, my plus icon is also missing from my main window and my conversation windows. Hope that helps. ^^

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by xonaught on 11-06-2008 at 02:37 AM

well, thats the exact problem i had. blank screen.

RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by djdannyp on 11-06-2008 at 06:55 AM

quote:
I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like. No error messages whatsoever, just a blank, black screen. I've tried to apply all kinds of skins such as Oil slick and many others but none of them can work. By the way, my plus icon is also missing from my main window and my conversation windows. Hope that helps. ^^

If you have a blank screen how do you know that your Plus icon is missing from your main window and conversation window :S?

If Plus doesn't appear to be installed then use this link to download it, make sure you delete the "Skins" folder in "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live" first and also read:

Have SweetIM and/or SmileyCentral installed? PLEASE READ

(apologies if you've been pointed in the direction of that before, but it is the most common solution to the Plus! icons not appearing)
RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by HextremeX on 11-06-2008 at 01:34 PM

I've read that already. I currently do not have any smiley central or sweetIM. I tried to install from the link below, and still to no avail. I realised my Plus! icons are missing because everytime after trying to apply a skin does not work, i strip the skin and now i am currently using the msn default skin. So, that is why I am able to realise my icons were missing. ^^

RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by shiiney-boo on 11-14-2008 at 01:49 PM

hmm....i had the SAME problem here, i got a pop-up while i was installing it. it said "An error has occured while accessing "Lng_Ararabic.ini". Please make sure that Messenger and Messenger Plus! are closed and try again. If you keep getting this message, restart your computer." i checked the language file in the Program files>msg+live>languages and teheres no lng_Arabic.ini.. and when i wanna install the other versions of msg+live, it still have the same problem. here's the screenshot:
[Image: 33z5u0w.jpg]
please, i need some help????

RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by nymphinblue on 01-25-2009 at 09:22 PM

how will I go there?

I couldn't find it..

HKEY_USERS\[your user number]\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live

where will I write regedit? And what is that?

:(((((((

quote:
Originally posted by maxrase
Try this :

• Go to : HKEY_USERS\[your user number]\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live and find the key named "LanguageFile", right clic and "Modify" and change "Lng_Arabic.ini" into "Lng_Default.ini" or another language.

RE: RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by djdannyp on 01-25-2009 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nymphinblue

quote:
Try this :

how will I go there?

I couldn't find it..

HKEY_USERS\[your user number]\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live

where will I write regedit? And what is that?

:(((((((

it tells you where to go.

For a quicker way, hold down the Windows Key [Image: 20070529-windowskey-f1.jpg] then press R on the keyboard and there's where you type regedit

the instructions are all there, just follow them step by step
RE: RE: New problem with Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 01-28-2009 at 10:44 AM

quote:
Try this :

That register key should be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live

But note that this registry key doesn't have any function once the setup is running.

When the setup starts up it does check that key to see in what language the setup should display its texts. But the actual text strings are read from the language file inside the setup, not from the file already on the hard disk from a previous installed version.

The error which is presented points to a file access error. So either there is a problem with accessing that language file from the temporary directory the setup has created, or either something is blocking the access/overwriting of the already installed file from a previous version.

Also, the fact that the user sees an English setup probably means that that registry key points to the original English language file, not the Arabic one. (Or that there is no Arabic language file in the actual setup you're running. However, this is most likely not the case since each public setup contains an Arabic language file, so that can be ruled out.)

Anyways, given all this, I doubt changing that registry key will fix anything.

--
xonaught, & co

The thing you should NOT do is using System Restore! System Restore is NOT a software backup tool!!!!!!!! System Restore is meant for restoring critical system stuff, and only as an absolute last resort. By doing a system restore you will revert back critical updates, settings or drivers for your Windows. Hence why you should only be using it in case of a severe system failure as a last resort to get back to a semi working version of Windows in which you can work further to fix the actual problems. In many day-to-day situations using system restore will actually damage your system more (because you actually uninstall critical needed stuff instead of restoring a 'backup' of some particular software).

Have you tried to uninstall Messenger Plus! and all its settings, skins and scripts first? I know you said you have "re-installed", but is that after uninstalling everything first or not? Another question which wasn't answered before iirc: What skin(s) were you trying to use?

----------------------------

To recap: a hell of a lot of installing problems can be solved by following instructions exactly. Now, the thing is that many people do not follow instructions exactly, eventhough they think they do. That's nothing to be ashamed of or whatever, it is just, well we're all human and tend to forget things or overlook things. And not everybody is fluent in English either. And more than often one word in an instruction set can mean a difference.

Anyways, first thing to do is to uninstall the offending applications. This means using the uninstaller which comes with the application. Uninstalling might not always be possible at first. Sometimes other applications are blocking the proper uninstalling of an application. Or your application is still running or whatever, preventing you from uninstalling it. So make sure you can uninstall it as good as possible.

Second thing to do is to remove any leftovers manualy. This means opening Windows Explorer (this is not the internet browser, but the file browser) and navigating to the installation directories and the data directories of the applications you are trying to fix. If they still exist, remove them completely, including subdirectories.

In some cases, the next step is to go to the registry where the application stores its settings. If the uninstalling failed, or you have choosen the wrong option when uninstalling (eg: in Plus! you can choose to leave your settings), some settings might be left. Removing them manualy might again solve some stuff in certain situations.

The next thing to do is to reboot your computer. Always reboot your computer when doing installation and/or uninstallations, always! Even if it is not asked or done automaticaly, always do it...

Only after that you can try to attempt to install the application again. Again, rebooting after that is never a bad idea. After that test the application, without modifying to much settings at once. If that works all ok, then you can proceed with modyfing more settings and/or changing the app to your likings.

Remember that you must successfuly complete one step before going to the next step, and to read and understand instructions and dialog screens properly before blindly clicking on any button.

;)