Shoutbox

-SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... (/showthread.php?tid=87794)

-SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by uHuRu1976 on 12-17-2008 at 07:42 AM

i've installed the latest version of msn yesterday.
5 seconds after i sign in i get the

"Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." error.

but here is the funny thing, if i dont press send error report or dont send buttons, messenger operates fine on the background. i can still use it as if there isnt any problems.

but of course i will still have that error screen in front of me and if i click send or dont send, then the messenger will close.

uninstalled the old messengers and msn plus and installed the new msn again.. same problem still exists.

any ideas????

for the solution read my posts below

RE: Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Dharma on 12-17-2008 at 10:04 PM

Same here, except that funny thing, right after signing in 1-2 seconds past and it crashes with a warning message just like the one above. So is it a general problem? Is is solvable? How? If not, we better roll back to stable 8.5 version. Thanx.

RE: Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by ryxdp on 12-17-2008 at 10:29 PM

Windows Live Communications Platform is not part of Messenger, which is why WLM is still running fine in the background. AFAIK the WLCP is Windows Live Call... not sure if you really need that, as WLM has a perfectly good call feature anyway, but it may be an assisting process for it. I would try uninstalling Windows Live Call and, if you have it, Windows Live Sign-in Assistant -- it's not needed.

Hope this helps :/

RE: Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Mike on 12-17-2008 at 11:10 PM

If you are using a custom theme disable it.

RE: Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by uHuRu1976 on 12-18-2008 at 07:19 AM

i think it is caused by a malware or something like that. I thought my pc was clean but it seems there were just a  few infected files and probably that was causing the problem.

I used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - a very powerfull freeware and after a full scan it found like 6 infections, after it removed the infected files the new msn worked fine with me.

RE: Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by mistymaz on 01-10-2009 at 07:34 PM

Does anyone have the link for the old windows live messenger? I'm having the same problem and havn't got the patients to try and sort it out.

Thanks

RE: Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Hank on 01-10-2009 at 10:13 PM

look at http://mess.be for links to 8.5

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by makoshark on 03-17-2009 at 03:02 PM

how do i uninstall Windows Live Call? im still getting the same problem. why was all this extra stuff packed into the download anyway?

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by uHuRu1976 on 03-17-2009 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by makoshark
how do i uninstall Windows Live Call? im still getting the same problem. why was all this extra stuff packed into the download anyway?

google for combofix,
its an exe file which can easily be found over the net. It is my favorite so far. I have kaspersky and antimalwarebytes but this one is very special.
just run the exe, wait for the program to do its cleaning and there you go, you have a very healthy system.
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by krissern on 03-17-2009 at 05:34 PM

I just deleted the nvidia network utillety (not the driver)  on my computer, then I was able to login without problems. ;)

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Duchess on 03-31-2009 at 11:14 AM

Confirmed - I uninstalled the Nvidia ForceWare Network Access Manager (using the add/remove programs in the control panel) and the problem has gone - I can now sign in again :-)

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by iceflame28 on 04-10-2009 at 01:03 AM

Well, there is one more way to stop this problem, it worked for me. You have to uncheck the option in windows media player that says : Windows Live Messenger Music Plug-in.

this can be found by doing the following:
1. open windows media player.
2. go to : Tools > Plug-ins >  Windows Live Messenger Music Plug-in. Uncheck the option for Windows Live Messenger Music Plug-in.
Then retry the messenger.

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by azure.balmung on 05-04-2009 at 03:32 AM

I'm having this problem after I installed the new version of WLM and I tried everything mentioned but nothing seems to work. Is there any other options I can still use to solve my problem?

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by dollar on 05-17-2009 at 12:48 AM

Hi all try this it works for me.
Make sure you exit MSN.
1.Click Start
2.Click My Computer
3.Double Click Local Disk (C )
4.Double Click Program files
5.Double Click Windows Live
6.Double Click Contacts
7.Right Click wlcomm and click on Properties
8.Click the Compatibility tab and in the  Compatibility Mode box put a tick and select Windows 98/Windows ME and click OK.
Now Start MSN and all should be good.
Hope this helped
Dollar.

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by DC_Injector on 06-07-2009 at 01:07 PM

Ok people,

I'm new to this forum but am experiencing the same problem.

I have read and geard from others that a registary cleaner is a dangerous option.

I encountered this problem with Windows Live Communications Platform error today.

I tried to remove it but couldn't so I decided to re-format.

After spending 4 hours doing a complete re-format I still encountered the same error.

I read in another forum (http://forum.mess.be/index.php?s=5c144bb1811732969e6cee8d33854386&showtopic=24117&pid=177750&st=60&#entry177750) to delete the Delete the file: C: \ Program Files \ Windows Live \ Contacts \ wldlog.dll

It appeared to work as in the Platform error didn't appear but now it is idle in the connecting phase where the two blue and green people spin around.

It then times out with a whole new error.

wtf is going on???

Please help. I just want to be able to use messenger again.

Btw, I also tried an older version it propted me to update then the same happended all over again.

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by tre2006 on 06-13-2009 at 04:36 AM

THIS is how I fixed the problem.. if you have WINDOWBLINDS (a program to skin windows) it should fix it.. if you dont have this software you will have to find another fix...
I found this answer below on another site.. I cant find it now so I cant give the person credit.. but it wasnt my work around.. BUT it works.. so PROPS to whoever it was LMAO[size=4][color=red][font=Arial]

Start - All Programs - Windows Blinds - Run windows blinds
under settings, choose per application
add per application setting (its a button)
Locate: c:\program files\windows live\contacts
choose wlcomm.exe
check mark: ignore this application and do not skin it
click OK
under windows blinds, apply settings, exit live, and reopen, enjoy!

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by TimmE on 06-30-2009 at 01:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tre2006
THIS is how I fixed the problem.. if you have WINDOWBLINDS (a program to skin windows) it should fix it.. if you dont have this software you will have to find another fix...
I found this answer below on another site.. I cant find it now so I cant give the person credit.. but it wasnt my work around.. BUT it works.. so PROPS to whoever it was LMAO[size=4][color=red][font=Arial]

choose wlcomm.exe
click OK

i registered just to say thank you so much i woulda never guessed windows blinds to be the problem :)  kidos
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Coom on 07-26-2009 at 01:04 AM

I registered because this worked great for me - and i didnt have to remove my alienguis thank goodness <3 alienware

Ok folks i had the same problem, "Windows live communication platform has encountered a problem and needs to close" but i have now solved it, (at least for myself).
I read a post by someone else saying that windows blinds was the problem, i use alienguise. For those that dont know, windows blinds is an appearance package that lets you change the look of your windows, i use XP so the standard look is a silver or blue header bar with a red square and white X as the close button.
OK this is what i did,
Click your start menu and click on the search button.
Where it asks what to search, select All files and folders.
Set your search to look in your main hard drive, usually C.
Type in the search box wlcomm and click search.
Within a few seconds it will find two items, the second one on my search was the one i wanted. In the "Name" column it simply says wlcomm, in the "In Folder" column it says "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts.
Right click this one and select Properties.
Click the "compatibility" tab and under "Display settings" click the check box that says "Disable visual themes", you want a tick in this box after you have clicked it.
Click "OK" and you should now be able to use messenger without the error message box coming up.
I have signed in and out several times without any problems.
Oh yeah, i am still using Alienguise for those of you that uninstalled your appearance packages, you dont have to.
Hope this helps you guys out.

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by iotran on 08-13-2009 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dollar
Make sure you exit MSN.
1.Click Start
2.Click My Computer
6.Double Click Contacts
8.Click the Compatibility tab and in the  Compatibility Mode box put a tick and select Windows 98/Windows ME and click OK.
Hope this helped
Dollar.

Just created the account and logged in to THANK YOU! (Y)

It also worked for me.
RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by wertyo on 08-29-2009 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Make sure you exit MSN.
1.Click Start
2.Click My Computer
6.Double Click Contacts
Hope this helped
Dollar.

I think i want to kiss you
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by moghleyman on 09-02-2009 at 12:06 PM

i have the same problem.

i have had combofix and malwarebye anti-malware installed as they're great tools and i've used them before.

but whatever has happened, they seem to be disabled ! ... and in the combofix folder there are numerous amounts of files which i daren't click ...

need a solution bigtime guys!

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by pjr on 09-14-2009 at 04:30 PM

The only solution that worked for me was to rename/delete
C: \ Program Files \ Windows Live \ Contacts \ wldlog.dll

I renamed it to wldlog.dllX

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by baseballstud06 on 09-15-2009 at 11:47 PM

Confirmed - I uninstalled the Nvidia ForceWare Network Access Manager (using the add/remove programs in the control panel) and the problem has gone. I also disabled the visual themes under the properties of wlcomm.exe.exe and it signed it immediately. Thanks alot guys!

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by bbriver on 09-16-2009 at 06:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pjr

This is the only solution that worked for me too! Thank you!
RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by vanila-mik on 09-16-2009 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bbriver
quote:
Originally posted by pjr

this one works for me too :D thanks... i dn have to see that bugging error again..
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by kagepuvan on 09-16-2009 at 08:46 AM

well i did wat he said but now the thing is it never signs in.. it just signs in for centuries and never signs in!

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Attax on 09-16-2009 at 11:14 AM

I found that the reason why it showed this message after i opened windows live messenger was because i had a custom theme for my computer display ;). if you have a custom theme, you could try changing the theme back to the default, but if that doesn't work i dunno what else to do :(

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Nyomu on 09-16-2009 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kagepuvan

well i did wat he said but now the thing is it never signs in.. it just signs in for centuries and never signs in!

i'm having the same problem as u are QQ
RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by paul leeds on 09-22-2009 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bbriver
quote:
Originally posted by pjr

worked for me too. why??

thanks
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by paul leeds on 09-22-2009 at 10:13 AM

im confused

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Minwoo on 09-22-2009 at 06:32 PM

Hello!

Well if you rename the wldlog.dll to wldlog.dllX messenger should work for everyone.

The only problem is that when people try to add you as friends / when you try to add someone else, there will be no "confirmation-box".. Therefore you can't add anymore friends. Havn't found a way to solve this problem yet.

Anyone knows?

xoxo

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Gonky on 09-24-2009 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Make sure you exit MSN.
1.Click Start
2.Click My Computer
6.Double Click Contacts
Hope this helped
Dollar.

[color=green][b]OMG i have been trying so many things i checked out online and then i just done as you said to do it works fine so far and its not giving me error stuff. I just registered to say thanks to you and good work on the easy steps on how to do it. If i could kiss you i would weather your dude or dudett ;)

Thanks
Gonky. . .
RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by NINJARICK77 on 09-25-2009 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Make sure you exit MSN.
1.Click Start
2.Click My Computer
6.Double Click Contacts
Hope this helped
Dollar.
This also worked for me thanks to the guy that posted it . I spent hours trying to find another way and as soon as I check off 98/windows ME it's been working awesome for hours. I could just kiss this guy (no homo)
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by ShadeTheBatGirl on 09-28-2009 at 10:57 PM

Hey,
I have windows Vista and have tried both renaming my wldlog and changing my compatibility in wlcomm with out any success.  Any other tips?

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Vessi on 09-28-2009 at 11:44 PM

Hi you guys. :]

Whenever I sign into Windows Live Messenger 9 (the latest one on the windows live website), there is a pop up which tells me that there is a problem with Windows Live Communications Platform.

The message:
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l463/vlyl/wlcp.jpg

"Windows Live Communications Platform has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

This appears while it is signing in (for like 2-5 minutes) and then it stops signing it in.

I have checked online forums and tried changing the files that they told me too (eg. deleting wldlog.dll, adjusting wlcomm.exe so that it runs in Windows 95, etc). I don't have Windows Blinds or Nvidia thing that they say to delete either.

I have tried reinstalling it, but it didn't work. I tried restoring my computer to an earlier date as well, but that didn't work either.

I also cleaned up the registry and defragmented it and scanned my computer for viruses, but even after doing that, nothing was fixed.

And it only does this with one of my emails. If I try to sign in with another email, it works, but then after a few seconds/minutes, the Windows Live Communications Platform error thing pops back up and signs me out.

Oh and I use Windows Vista.

Help?
Thanks. :]

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by jt957 on 10-22-2009 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pjr

THX!!!!!!!! tats the only way  tat works 4 me!!!!!!!i've been searching 4 days just to solve this.... no now... ALL DONE :)
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by umair on 10-22-2009 at 04:07 PM

i've installed the latest version of msn yesterday.
5 seconds after i sign in i get the

"Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." error.

but here is the funny thing, if i dont press send error report or dont send buttons, messenger operates fine on the background. i can still use it as if there isnt any problems.

but of course i will still have that error screen in front of me and if i click send or dont send, then the messenger will close.

uninstalled the old messengers and msn plus and installed the new msn again.. same problem still exists.

any ideas????

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by chizzle on 11-02-2009 at 12:01 PM

Simply go to control panel and open programs and features, or add or remove programs, then uninstall the windows live sign in assistant and everything will be back to normal.;)

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Hachikuji on 11-04-2009 at 05:07 AM

ok renaming the wldlog.dllX worked for me too
but my problem of can't add contacts is still here

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by K69 on 11-07-2009 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tre2006

choose wlcomm.exe
click OK

ty for posting this :)
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by CookieRevised on 11-07-2009 at 05:45 AM

Please read and use the official fix:

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...8B853F!15941.entry

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by jChan on 11-09-2009 at 12:41 PM

hey if you're one of those ppl who tried all possible ways and still couldn't get it to work, try this:
(i was one of those people lol)

1. Go to My Computer, Local Disk, Program Files
2. Go to the Windows Live Folder
3. Click the Contacts folder
4. In it, you will see a file called wldlog.dll
5. Rename it to wldlog.dllX

i really hope this helps (:
i had a lot of problems after updating messenger.
i got fed up with them, then downloaded the old one.
just last week, they said i wouldn't be able to use messenger until i updated to the new version, and here i am again, stuck with the same problems of:
- freezing conversations
- half my contact list missing
- can't add new contacts
- can't see anyone's personal message
- the Windows Live Communications Platform error keeps popping up

sigh microsoft should work on this

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by CookieRevised on 11-10-2009 at 09:13 AM

Please do NOT remove or rename WLDLOG.DLL!!!!
or any other file for that matter

That is the worst you can do!
Removing or renaming that file will cripple your Windows Live Messenger even further!

Yes you might be able to sign in but you wont be able to add contacts, contact syncronization will be crippled, contacts will dissapear from your list, etc...

By removing or renaming files you are actually making things worse. It is not because you can sign in that all the problems will be gone. In fact, a lot more invisible problems will crop up!

And later on, when you want to update you will have even more problems.

Again, removing or renaming files like that is the number one cause why people have so much trouble updating or having other kind of problems.

DO NOT ALTER THE MESSENGER FILES LIKE THAT!

-------

In case you have removed or renamed wldlog.dll, please put it back as it was! And because you probably have altered Messenger in some other ways too, you better of completely removing Messenger and all its components and re-install everything from scratch.

Removing or renaming wldlog.dll is NOT the fix for your problems. Instead, check if you have the nVidea Network utility/Firewall or Forceware Network Access Manager and uninstall that. Those components of your nVidea video driver are realy not needed to be installed. They are however one of the problems causing this issue.

Also, ALWAYS consult and read the official support first, like:
^^ = REAL PROPER FIX

Second, if you still have problems, report your problems to Support (instead of trying to fix it on your own by following some bad advise):
http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlm...&ct=eformts&scrx=1

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by pink_rose on 11-13-2009 at 02:38 PM

Hi,

I have been battling this Communications Platform error for the last 3 weeks and have eventually solved the problem.

I don't have Windows Blinds, Alien Guise, Nvidea drives etc.  I tried disabling Visual Themes and changed compatibility as suggested by numerous people.  I ran an clean uninstall following the step-by-step instructions as requested by the MSN tech team, all to no avail.

The last email I received from them suggested the following:

1. Microsoft now provides a tool that can remove the most common viruses. You can access the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool by visiting https://www.microsoft.com/download/malicious-soft...-tool-details.aspx

(Please note: this scan kept crashing after about 10seconds when I first tried it so I skipped to Step 2 then came back to Step 1 after I rebooted and was able to scan!)

2.  Open Command Prompt in administrator mode.

a.  Click Start . 

b.  Click All Programs, and then click Accessories. 

c.  Right-click the Command Prompt option, and then click Run as administrator from the drop-down menu.

If the UAC (User Access Control) is enabled, you will be asked for authorization. Click Continue if you are the administrator or enter the administrator password. Do not disable the UAC. 

3.  Start File Checker.

a.  In the Command Prompt window, type sfc/scannow , and then press Enter . 

b.  The scan will begin and it will take some time. (Windows will replace the corrupted or missing files and you will be prompted to insert a Windows CD or DVD) 

(Scan results showed I had some corrupted Windows files and would be repaired on the next reboot.  It didn't ask me for a Windows CD.)

4.  After the scan is complete, restart the computer. 

(Whilst rebooting, a Windows screen appeared showing that it was repairing 9 files, only took a minute or two then Windows started as normal and Live Messenger worked again!  I then ran the Malicious Software scan (step 1) to make sure there was no malware lurking anywhere in the system.)

I hope this helps anyone that is still suffering from this problem.
Good luck!

Moderator edit: updated link

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by scypher on 11-13-2009 at 03:43 PM

For me all i did was tell my alienware theme manager to switch back to xp style & it msn worked fine with no probs

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Hachikuji on 11-30-2009 at 02:44 AM

damn windows live, in the first place why did they put up an update that would affect or would conflict with other apps.
with all this confusing how to fix and overly detailed troubleshooting that is not 100% certainly fix your problem. dang thanks to this i havent been able to use windows live since the last update. tch!

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Minwoo on 11-30-2009 at 06:51 PM

Well @ CookieRevised

The .dll to .dllX file is the only way to get this msn thing to work..

Maybe because all of those at msn is retarded ppl.

Asked them 100 times about it and they give suggestions. tried them all but none works..
All these problems came with the new versions.
After all it's not only this crusial bug that is a problem. The new version is really full of bugs

Msn FIX IT!

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by CookieRevised on 11-30-2009 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Minwoo
Well @ CookieRevised

The .dll to .dllX file is the only way to get this msn thing to work..
As said and explained several times before: You may not notice it immediatly but you WILL brake more stuff than fixing anything.

IT IS NOT A PROPER FIX

If you have a car running on Diesel you can also put petrol in it and it will run, but only for a short while and you will kill the engine. Putting petrol in a diesel engine is also not a proper fix, eventhough it seems to be working at first. Removing or renaming that DLL is just the same; it might seem to be working at first, but you will have a whole lot of hidden problems in the long run.
RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Travi on 12-01-2009 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pjr

After trying everything else here, this worked for me. One suggestion, when you change a setting that does not fix the problem, change it back to what it was previously before trying the next suggestion.
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by kavish on 12-03-2009 at 03:13 AM

"The only solution that worked for me was to rename/delete

I renamed it to wldlog.dllX"

The solution works fine for me too

am kavish form mauritius ;) the only paradise

thxx

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by CookieRevised on 12-03-2009 at 05:07 PM

*sigh*

Travi (and others),

Renaming that dll will let you sign in, yes, but it will brake other things, mainly the syncronization of your contacts!!!. This will not only effect the proper workings of your contact list, but it also could effect your entry in your contacts' contact lists.

I know how frustrating it might be that you can't sign in, but, please, for the last time, do not rename or delete that DLL!!! It is not a proper fix! Instead follow the official fix (link provided several posts back in one of my posts), and if that does not work then contact support so MS can investigate this.

Again, renaming or removing that DLL IS NOT A PROPER FIX and will brake more things in the futur.

You're all making it way harder for yourselfs AND for MS to investigate this. You WILL have problems later on.

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by kavish on 12-05-2009 at 04:08 AM

bt how to solved the official fix does not provide any solution!! only steps to chek the file

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by LexDozel on 12-08-2009 at 08:23 PM

CookieRevised, I appreciate your adamant pursuit at making sure we don't make things harder for ourselves in the long run, but at the same time:

1) People have searched for solutions and found them; if doom really does come then they will search again,

2) The official fix gets brought up on search engines before this thread, and because it's the "official" fix, everyone will try those first. I, like many others, tried those steps and couldn't even sign in. This only leads people to tamper with the file that does cause problems, and

3) Nobody without true alternatives will simply sit idly by and wait for fixes. This new MSN has been out for quite some time now and I continuously downgraded to avoid it. I even downloaded Trillian and AIM. However, I can't expect everyone on my contact list to download these programs and switch with me if they aren't having problems.

I read somewhere that the downgrading thing was put to a stop due to security issues, and I can understand that; MS just wants us to be safe. However, this forces the current MSN and, most likely, the problems it brings upon everyone. Most of us are not well-versed in the nuances of computer technology, and as such something that allows just signing into a program like this is a fix to them.

The only things that can be done are to not use MSN or to wait for more fixes from MS. Until then, people will continue to do this. I'm sure you understand this already but I say just let things play out.

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by kavish on 12-09-2009 at 01:44 AM

yes sir i have understooD :)

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by CookieRevised on 12-09-2009 at 03:01 AM

LexDozel,

1) Actually, and unfortunately, most people do not search (properly). This is proven a lot, time and again.

2) Again I can assure you that the official fix and even those official sites in general, are not found that regulary by most people (unfortunatly). And as such, stuff said there is not tried out first. If it is tried, it is actually usually done as a last resort when more damage is already done. The sole fact that many people don't even click on Help in Messenger, heck, don't even know it exists, says a lot. This again is proven time and again.

Many of those official fixes do work. In fact, I still need to come across one that does not work!! However, the problem is quite often that people do not understand them, don't follow them properly, or actually are having a different or additional problem than for what the fix is meant for (because they are indeed not always very clear though).

The same for this particular problem. 2 friends of mine, and one family member had exact the same problems described in this thread after upgrading. And although one of them also did the DLL renaming, they eventually let me access their PC and I could fix it without a problem using that official fix (after doing other (official) fixes to solve other problems first though!).

One of their problem was that they most likely messed things up in the past. Of course, not everybody is computer-literate, but that also means that people who are not so PC-literate should follow advise from people who are. And if they still would have problems, they should ask for help to someone with access to their PC to fix it for them. Because as said, instructions are rarely followed properly - they aren't always very clear either though, that's very true). And if there are still problems, one should contact Support. Again something which is very rarely done in situations likes this (because it is again no so clear how to contact them and/or some people think they wont/cant help anyways).

3) You will eventually need to use the latest version. Or use an alternative like Trillian if you don't like it. Downgrading will not always work and is, in case of Messenger, almost never a good thing to do.

---------------------

I can understand that many people see this DLL-'solution' as the real fix though. But that is simply because they _see_ that they can sign in again, and as far as they are concearned that was the problem. However, and this is very typical, they do not see that they, by applying that 'solution', actually cripple Messenger even more! This also results in future proper fixes and upgrades to fail, etc, etc, and posts like yours which insist in telling people that official fixes do not work.

The only thing that should/can be done is starting from scratch. Removing all the mess that people have tried and reinstall everything. But again here is a big problem because not everybody knows how to install Messenger properly from scratch. Unfortunatly this is not as simple as it should be (and that is for a big part the fault of MS, absolutely). As a result, those people again complain that it does not work and it is again 'proof' for them that such solutions like the DLL renaming _is_ the real fix.

It is a real vicious circle.

Why do you think that all the people, aka common residents, on these forums never have such (severe) problems? It is because they have the knowhow of how to fix things, know the official sites and know how to follow those official fixes properly.

It are mostly newbies, no offense to them, who have problems with it. And that is, as I said before, because they follow bad advise or have followed bad advise in the past. That is not entirely their own fault of course, because they do not know (can't know) what is good advise and what is bad advise.

Don't get me wrong, MS isn't holy and they do make mistakes. They also make mistakes in Messenger. They also don't always make it easy to fix something, or even find their help/support, etc. And a lot can still be improved. But if they provide a solution for a particular problem, it does work in 99,9% of all the cases, provided you follow their advise to the letter, don't skip anything (eventhough you think you don't need to do a step or you don't understand a step), you know what you're doing, and you actually follow the correct advise for your particular problem and not some other problem.

As such, we are here to try to help people too with the proper fixes, not with half-arsed stuff which actually does not fix anything at all.

And, I repeat, renaming that DLL will _not_ fix the real problem and will actually cause more (hidden) problems in the long run. Instead, one should follow official fixes or advise from knowledgable people which you can find on these forums for example.

If you have further problems, please contact Support and give proper, detailed and full descriptions of your problems, instead of applying half-arsed solutions. But this is again something which is often not done right (because not everybody knows howto because they are not that pc-literate) with the result that people again think the official solutions/support does not work.

In the mean while, for this particular upgrading problem, we will continue to tell people that renaming or deleting that DLL is not the proper solution and will cause you even more problems. Because those are the facts.

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by snowtoad on 12-11-2009 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Make sure you exit MSN.
1.Click Start
2.Click My Computer
6.Double Click Contacts
Hope this helped
Dollar.

nice just signup to say thanks for this good info that solves everyones problem thanks
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Hachikuji on 12-11-2009 at 09:41 PM

for all of us who had the same problem
i guess for me since i have'nt fixed the can't add contacts issue.
i think i just wait for the next windows live update hoping they'd fix all the bugs.
up until now i really think its stupid why the previous update has conflicts with other apps which is causing bugs for us. @w@
i hope that when there's an official fix for this problem it'll be posted sticky here

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by rascal on 12-12-2009 at 01:41 PM

This was the fix for me, search for the old DLL's in the list in the link below and rename or delete.
An old CITI Bank Virtual Card DLL, "BHOCITUS.DLL" was the culprit.
Removed all the "compatability" stuff from WLCOMM.DLL.

YEA!!

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Please read and use the official fix:

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by john_cena86 on 12-25-2009 at 11:47 AM

download Uniblue Registry booster.

and scan your registry...and fix them...i have solved my problem using this way...

the crash of windows live communications platform is due to some invalid registries...uni blue registry booster easily fix them

now my WLM is working fine....

if you need this software reply me

i'll send you the link

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by tarsanth on 12-27-2009 at 12:46 PM

Just an alternative solution I found for those that wish to continue using the Nvidia Networking Utility. 

Instead of uninstalling it, I opened it up, went to "Folders Prioritised by FirstPacket" (assuming you have Enabled "FirstPacket"), and then added the Windows Mail and Windows Live folders from Program Files to the list of prioritized folders. 

All windows live communications platform based programs that weren't working are now running fine with no crashes.  Hope this helps for a few people!

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Xalifhs on 02-21-2010 at 06:22 PM

Guys... i registed only to tell you that i have the exact same prob as all of you... i am using Vista x64... i have avast antivirus... (free version) the windows standard firewall and windows defender... i have ATI radeon graphics card (i have toshiba satelite so i havent nvidia) i used everything i found on forums... [i deleted files i reinstalled MSN i did everything on that the official fix mentioned...(i didnt have the dll files they mentioned... i used both uniblue registry cleaner and malware, )and nothing...] now it doesnt even log me in... i am so desperate.. i  even used another account... it doesnt log it in either... and the pitty is that i need msn to commune fast with ppl across the world for my job... i ... am... desperate... btw i dont have windows blinds or alienguise or anything to customise the windows....  ty for your time reading this....

Cheers Jacob
                                                                                              Greece

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Chris4 on 02-21-2010 at 06:49 PM

Xalifhs: Follow THESE instructions to completely remove Messenger.

By using random "registry cleaners" you've probably just made it worse.

CookieRevised's instructions includes removing all of Messenger's registry settings.

Remove Avast Anti-Virus too, just to be sure.

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Xalifhs on 02-21-2010 at 07:52 PM

No chris... sorry i followed every step with care... nothing happened :S

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Chris4 on 02-27-2010 at 05:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Xalifhs
No chris... sorry i followed every step with care... nothing happened :S
Then you need to consider more drastic changes such as repairing Windows Vista.

Edit: You haven't followed "every step with care" because you posted saying you didn't know how to use the registry file, which is the main thing I suggested: using the registry file to remove Messenger's registry, as you've clearly damaged it with the registry "cleaners". See my reply.
RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by druid79 on 02-28-2010 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Coom
I registered because this worked great for me - and i didnt have to remove my alienguis thank goodness <3 alienware

Ok folks i had the same problem, "Windows live communication platform has encountered a problem and needs to close" but i have now solved it, (at least for myself).
I read a post by someone else saying that windows blinds was the problem, i use alienguise. For those that dont know, windows blinds is an appearance package that lets you change the look of your windows, i use XP so the standard look is a silver or blue header bar with a red square and white X as the close button.
OK this is what i did,
Click your start menu and click on the search button.
Where it asks what to search, select All files and folders.
Set your search to look in your main hard drive, usually C.
Type in the search box wlcomm and click search.
Within a few seconds it will find two items, the second one on my search was the one i wanted. In the "Name" column it simply says wlcomm, in the "In Folder" column it says "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts.
Right click this one and select Properties.
Click the "compatibility" tab and under "Display settings" click the check box that says "Disable visual themes", you want a tick in this box after you have clicked it.
Click "OK" and you should now be able to use messenger without the error message box coming up.
I have signed in and out several times without any problems.
Oh yeah, i am still using Alienguise for those of you that uninstalled your appearance packages, you dont have to.
Hope this helps you guys out.

I too use alienguise and this exact rectification worked for me.  Many thanks you are a star.
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Rohobok on 05-25-2010 at 08:42 PM

Sorry if it's been posted before, but I just had to make sure a fix for this problem is known, because it's very simple. (Note: Nvidea users)

Right-click the Nvidea csettings icon in the bottom right, then click on control panel.

Go to Networking and then 'Configure First Packet Settings' then click DISABLE first packet.

Worked for me :)

Rhbk

RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by CookieRevised on 05-26-2010 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rohobok
Sorry if it's been posted before, but I just had to make sure a fix for this problem is known, because it's very simple. (Note: Nvidea users)

Right-click the Nvidea csettings icon in the bottom right, then click on control panel.

Go to Networking and then 'Configure First Packet Settings' then click DISABLE first packet.

Rhbk
Although the steps are a bit different (a bit less drastic), this is almost exactly what the official fix is and which has been linked to many times.
(which I and others are trying to get people to understand that it is the proper solution, and not that 'DLL renaming fix') ;)

But nevertheless thanks for these alternative steps though! It may shed some light on the details to why it is said to uninstall the NVidea Networking Tool is the culprint.
RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Frozensolid on 01-16-2011 at 06:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Rohobok

Rhbk
Although the steps are a bit different (a bit less drastic), this is almost exactly what the official fix is and which has been linked to many times.
(which I and others are trying to get people to understand that it is the proper solution, and not that 'DLL renaming fix') ;)

But nevertheless thanks for these alternative steps though! It may shed some light on the details to why it is said to uninstall the NVidea Networking Tool is the culprint.

I did the renaming of the wldlog and it works fine. But that was when i didnt see your post. After seeing your post, i quickly rename it back to DLL and currently the error is gone. Is this good or bad?

EDIT: After changing bac to .DLL, i receive the error again
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by CookieRevised on 01-16-2011 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Frozensolid
I did the renaming of the wldlog and it works fine. But that was when i didnt see your post. After seeing your post, i quickly rename it back to DLL and currently the error is gone. Is this good or bad?
An error which is gone is always good... But that's until:

quote:
Originally posted by Frozensolid
EDIT: After changing bac to .DLL, i receive the error again
Keep the proper original name for the DLL, but try to follow the 'official' solution instead (which is uninstalling the NVideo Networking Tool, or the likes... you do not need that anyways*)

*It is like the so many useless crap (sorry for the bad language) that HP installs on so many PCs. You don't need all those 'extra' tools and stuff for those drivers (sound or printer) to work properly. It really is useless stuff, and even in this case incompatible stuff.
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered ....... by Frozensolid on 01-17-2011 at 02:16 PM

Problem is i tried everything and i did all the steps for the official solution but only the one on renaming .dll works. The others failed =(

I know this problem exists in 2009 but during that year, my msn was still ok. It was until last week when i encountered this problem. I tried all methods which are free ( those which did not require you to buy stuff) but to no avail. I really need help