Shoutbox

Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar (/showthread.php?tid=89901)

Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Domsy on 03-26-2009 at 07:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm still currently using Windows Live Messenger 8.5, but I was hoping to be able to upgrade to 2009 at some point.

However, there are a few things that I absolutely must have before I can do that, and there is no way I will upgrade if I can't have them. In 8.5 I use StuffPlug, and it provides the ability to have each person's window icon (in the taskbar) reflect their status. I find this essential so I know who has gone offline so I can close their window. This feature is explained at the bottom of this page: http://www.stuffplug.com/?act=features

Now it seems Stuffplug isn't ever going to be updated for 2009, so I'm at a loss for this feature. I can't find it anywhere else and I can't find a script for it. I do not understand how such an important feature is not anywhere else!

I will really appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for where I can find this, or suggestions on how I could go about getting this functionality some other way.

Also, some little off-topic questions regarding 2009: Any way to get the display pictures back to the right?

Thanks very much

RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by blessedguy on 03-26-2009 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Domsy
Also, some little off-topic questions regarding 2009: Any way to get the display pictures back to the right?

Thanks very much
Yes, with skins like mine, Guénas, Willz's and some others. Just check out the Skin's database
And, by the way, that StuffPlug thingy that reflect one's status at taskbar isn't yet available to WLM2009...
RE: RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Domsy on 03-26-2009 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:

Thanks very much
Yes, with skins like mine, Guénas, Willz's and some others. Just check out the Skin's database
And, by the way, that StuffPlug thingy that reflect one's status at taskbar isn't yet available to WLM2009...
Thanks for making me aware about skins being able to alter the display picture locations. I'll take a look into that.

And yes, I thought I made myself clear that the feature of StuffPlug is not available for WLM2009, and in fact will most likely never be. That was the whole point of my post.

Edit: Just found your skin "My Live Messenger" http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/view/131-My-Live-Messenger/

Great work :) I'll try it out when I get a chance! Thanks.
RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by CookieRevised on 03-27-2009 at 02:07 AM

quote:
In 8.5 I use StuffPlug, and it provides the ability to have each person's window icon (in the taskbar) reflect their status. I find this essential so I know who has gone offline so I can close their window. This feature is explained at the bottom of this page: http://www.stuffplug.com/?act=features
Can easly be done with a script. In fact such a script exists since a very long time: StatusIcon.

Unfortunatly this script isn't available anymore from its original website. I've PM'ed the author to request a new upload.
RE: RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Domsy on 03-27-2009 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
In 8.5 I use StuffPlug, and it provides the ability to have each person's window icon (in the taskbar) reflect their status. I find this essential so I know who has gone offline so I can close their window. This feature is explained at the bottom of this page: http://www.stuffplug.com/?act=features
Can easly be done with a script. In fact such a script exists since a very long time: StatusIcon.

Unfortunatly this script isn't available anymore from its original website. I've PM'ed the author to request a new upload.
Thanks, that sounds interesting. I was thinking of looking into making a script for it, but could help with some pointers for what direction I need to go to. I was thinking I'd need to do a SendMessage to the window's handle to get it to change the icon? I'm just not sure how to handle the icon itself. I'll need to research Messenger Plus! scripts as I haven't had any experience with them in the past.

Edit: Yeah I'm having difficulty figuring out how you load in a file. I've looked through the documentation and it just doesn't seem to have anything about loading a file in. How am I meant to load an icon in (in my script folder for instance using MsgPlus.ScriptFilesPath)? I looked through JScript documentation and there's a function called GetObject, but Messenger Plus! doesn't seem to like that. I even looked into Interop but can't find anything either...

I'll appreciate any help. It's so strange I can't find anything on this.
Can't believe how difficult this has been, and I still can't figure it out.

I've got:
code:
var icon = Interop.Call("user32.dll", "LoadIconW", null, iconLocation);
Interop.Call("user32.dll", "SendMessageW", chatWindow.Handle, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, icon);
And nothing seems to happen. I don't get errors or anything.

The amount of resources on the Internet to explain these things is awful... I haven't got a clue if this is the way it should be done, but I'm guessing not as nothing happens.

I'm really curious, CookieRevised, how this can easly be done with a script.
RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by CookieRevised on 03-27-2009 at 07:51 PM

The script will soon be available again. You can take a look at it when it is available again. It is indeed as simple as those 2 lines of code you posted (with some more stuff around it of course).

RE: RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Domsy on 03-28-2009 at 12:16 PM

quote:
The script will soon be available again. You can take a look at it when it is available again. It is indeed as simple as those 2 lines of code you posted (with some more stuff around it of course).
Ok cool, thanks. Any possibility you could upload the one you've got so I can see, please?

It may be beneficial if they don't re-upload it. Thanks very much.

Edit: OMG! Nevermind, I did it! I used LoadImage instead:
code:
var icon = Interop.Call("user32.dll", "LoadImageW", null, iconLocation, IMAGE_ICON, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE);
Interop.Call("user32.dll", "SendMessageW", chatWindow.Handle, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, icon);
I am so glad I managed that by myself!
RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by CookieRevised on 03-29-2009 at 12:37 AM

(Y)(Y)(Y)

--

Now you have almost the entire script (almost :p)...

But seriously, no I cant 'upload it yet, I first need the approval of Veggie (original author of script).

RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by riahc4 on 03-29-2009 at 05:47 PM

quote:
quote:
Ok cool, thanks. Any possibility you could upload the one you've got so I can see, please?

It may be beneficial if they don't re-upload it. Thanks very much.

Edit: OMG! Nevermind, I did it! I used LoadImage instead:
code:
var icon = Interop.Call("user32.dll", "LoadImageW", null, iconLocation, IMAGE_ICON, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE);
I am so glad I managed that by myself!

Congrads :) Im looking for this script too but we have a whole issue in the other thread.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=75190&page=1

There you go :)

And that script Ive uploaded it for you:

http://rapidshare.com/files/215022395/Status_Icon.plsc.html
This is 1.02 the last version of Veggie's
RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Domsy on 03-29-2009 at 11:33 PM

Thanks! Appreciate it. Looks like his is very similar to mine that I went on to build, I've just got more workings within the script itself (no DLL extraction) and have my icons packaged in a folder with the script.

Not sure if I'll release it but I suppose I could if you'd like to take a look at it and see if it's beneficial.

RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Spunky on 04-08-2009 at 07:12 AM

Just a little notice that I made a little script to display status icons (for you as well as contacts) yesterday. I'm adding a few options to it when I get home from work. You will hopefully eventually be able to use 8.5 or 9.0 icons independent of WLM version and hopefully be able to set any icons you wish (more advanced users really I feel)

ATM, it uses LoadIcon, but seeing as it's deprecated, I'll take a look at LoadImage as well.

RE: RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Domsy on 04-08-2009 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Just a little notice that I made a little script to display status icons (for you as well as contacts) yesterday. I'm adding a few options to it when I get home from work. You will hopefully eventually be able to use 8.5 or 9.0 icons independent of WLM version and hopefully be able to set any icons you wish (more advanced users really I feel)

ATM, it uses LoadIcon, but seeing as it's deprecated, I'll take a look at LoadImage as well.
Cool! Will be interesting to see :)
RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by ombadboy on 04-22-2009 at 11:17 AM

has any1 tried this under Windows 7 and WLM9?

Doesnt work for some reason, when the jumplist appears for the contacts, it just shows the default WLM icon..

Unfortunately i cannot post any screenshots as am not using W7 on this computer..

maybe ill try later

RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Spunky on 04-22-2009 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ombadboy
has any1 tried this under Windows 7 and WLM9?

Doesnt work for some reason, when the jumplist appears for the contacts, it just shows the default WLM icon..

Unfortunately i cannot post any screenshots as am not using W7 on this computer..

maybe ill try later

IIRC, the actual taskbar icon will only show your status. The other window icons do actually change though. At work at the moment so I can't test it. I never actually got around to adding an options window to my script, might carry on a bit tonight with it
RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by ombadboy on 04-22-2009 at 01:33 PM

managed to get a screenshot.. see what i mean..

the contact am talkin to is busy.. but the icon in on the left in the jump list or wtv MS calls it.. is not the busy one..

my status icon (away) though correctly appears in the taskbar..

sry for my bad english..

[Image: screenie.png]

RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Spunky on 04-22-2009 at 02:07 PM

My script changes that ;) It sets both the big and small icon, meaning that should change too

RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by ombadboy on 04-22-2009 at 02:20 PM

ive tried it but it doesnt work :S

tried setting small icon in the WLM9 options, as weel as the medium, but still no icon change in the W7 jumplist

RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by Spunky on 04-22-2009 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ombadboy
ive tried it but it doesnt work :S

tried setting small icon in the WLM9 options, as weel as the medium, but still no icon change in the W7 jumplist

Wait for my script then. Plus, it has the old 8.5 icons, 9.0 icons, or the 9.0 ,squares to choose from for both contact list and chat windows ;)
RE: Contact status indication in window's icon in taskbar by ombadboy on 04-22-2009 at 05:09 PM

okay sweet.. will do :)

any release date announced? :p