Shoutbox

Contact List Cleaner - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Contact List Cleaner (/showthread.php?tid=92702)

Contact List Cleaner by Lvarlik on 10-27-2009 at 01:38 PM

it doesn't work for 2 or 3 weeks. people who added me seems like they dont add me... or they delete me... but i am in their list

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Benji on 10-30-2009 at 04:28 AM

yeah. same thing is happening to me, and a  lot of other people. 

RE: Contact List Cleaner by djdannyp on 10-30-2009 at 11:12 AM

See also:

Contact list Clean-up problem
Clean up Concact

By any chance are either of you on Windows 7?

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Benji on 10-30-2009 at 11:18 AM

I'm on Windows XP.

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Lvarlik on 11-01-2009 at 02:12 AM

im in windows vista

RE: Contact List Cleaner by djdannyp on 11-01-2009 at 02:30 AM

Oh well....there goes that theory then!

In which case just refer to my comment in another one of those threads i linked to above......it's not a 100% accurate feature so don't be surprised if the odd mistake happens, not to mention the fact it can take a while to update sometimes

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Benji on 11-01-2009 at 03:32 PM

It used to work perfectly though..

Now it just stopped working all together. It's just STUCK.

If someone deletes me, it says they still have me added.
If someone adds me, it says they don't have me added.
Instead of 100% accurate, it is 0% accurate. which totally sucks.

Even after I uninstalled messenger plus
and just checked the privacy settings, the people who it says has me added/dont have me added is stuck as well.

RE: Contact List Cleaner by djdannyp on 11-01-2009 at 06:50 PM

I don't think that's to do with Messenger Plus! Live though.  The Privacy settings are completely independent of Plus!, they're Messenger's own settings - it's where Plus! reads the contact cleaner information from, so there's nothing that can be done about it.  it's most likely just a server style issue with Messenger

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Benji on 11-02-2009 at 05:02 PM

so am i doomed forever? :|

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Mnjul on 11-02-2009 at 05:06 PM

Microsoft might fix this inaccurate-inverse-list issue, but we don't know :p

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Benji on 11-02-2009 at 05:09 PM

hehe.. ok.

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Lvarlik on 11-09-2009 at 03:55 PM

is there any resolution ?

RE: Contact List Cleaner by Benji on 11-09-2009 at 03:58 PM

other than wait it out and see if it ever fixes on it own? noope.. :(

RE: Contact List Cleaner by matty on 11-09-2009 at 04:02 PM

No? This isn't controlled by Messenger Plus!. This is a server side notification issue with the Windows Live Messenger servers. It may be a temporary issue we don't know. We don't have access to it. The only information we can see about it is what is in the reverse list (which is provided by those servers. Plus! just simply puts a nice easy to use GUI around it.)

RE: Contact List Cleaner by CookieRevised on 11-10-2009 at 09:44 AM

Also note that the some problems with the Contact List Cleaner, or in other words the Reverse List of Messenger itself, can be caused by manipulating the files of Messenger.

For example: removing or renaming wldlog.dll to 'fix' the problem of not being able to sign in, is one of these causes!
see -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......

So, if you ever tried to fix a problem in Messenger by removing, renaming or hacking Messenger (like changing the version number), then please undo what you have done. Even if you did something like that in the past, with a previous version, the problem might still be there depending on how you upgraded to or installed the new version.

In most cases, this means completely removing Messenger and all of its components and files. Then download the newest version and reinstall. Using the repair function in 'add/remove programs' isn't going to work.

The Reverse List not being correct is just one example of the many underlying problems which will occur if you try to manipulate Messenger.

RE: RE: Contact List Cleaner by aznmachine on 11-10-2009 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Also note that the some problems with the Contact List Cleaner, or in other words the Reverse List of Messenger itself, can be caused by manipulating the files of Messenger.

For example: removing or renaming wldlog.dll to 'fix' the problem of not being able to sign in, is one of these causes!
see -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......

So, if you ever tried to fix a problem in Messenger by removing, renaming or hacking Messenger (like changing the version number), then please undo what you have done. Even if you did something like that in the past, with a previous version, the problem might still be there depending on how you upgraded to or installed the new version.

In most cases, this means completely removing Messenger and all of its components and files. Then download the newest version and reinstall. Using the repair function in 'add/remove programs' isn't going to work.

The Reverse List not being correct is just one example of the many underlying problems which will occur if you try to manipulate Messenger.

although I didn't manipulate any of the files apart, I will try the fresh re-install. I emailed windows live support and all they've suggested so far is to remove contacts cache and let live remake it which hasn't worked... I mentioned "reverse lists" but they didn't respond to that directly.. ^o)
RE: Contact List Cleaner by Benji on 11-10-2009 at 11:43 PM

When I first got the problem I tried repairing & then just completely uninstalling and reinstalling windows live and plus. tried twice. but that didn't work.

what's the contacts cache? where do i delete that?
(and if I do delete it, what will it remove?)

RE: Contact List Cleaner by djdannyp on 11-11-2009 at 02:07 AM

\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\your_windows_live_id\
\Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\your_windows_live_id\

Exit WLM and delete those two folders and it will force your WLM to re-download your contacts from the server, which may or may not re-synchronise your reverse list (and therefore contact cleanup). 

All this will remove is stored display pictures and log-in names for contacts who have been online.  It's worth a try, but it doesn't appear to have worked for aznmachine

RE: Contact List Cleaner by CookieRevised on 11-12-2009 at 11:12 AM

PS: something else which will influence the Reverse List is the fact that if contacts didn't sign in for 135 days, they are actually removed from your list.

I dunno what 'removed' exactly means in this case, but I strongly suspect they are still visible as a list item in your contact list (which migh actually be a bug), but you will not recieve any updates/nick changes/etc anymore and you will probably notice that 'they don't have you' in the Contact List Cleanup. They aren't automatically added back; you must remove the contact and add it again yourself.

More about this can be found (somewhere) on http://help.live.com/

RE: Contact List Cleaner by djdannyp on 11-12-2009 at 12:23 PM

quote:
PS: something else which will influence the Reverse List is the fact that if contacts didn't sign in for 135 days, they are actually removed from your list.

Hmm, I've just had a look through my contact list and can't confirm that.  Just found one contact who hasn't signed in since December 2008 and they're still showing as "having me" in contact list cleanup.

I think the current problem is just a server synchronisation issue and nothing to do with WLM or Messenger Plus! Live.  As I've stated in another thread, I get exactly the same feedback on aMSN as to which contacts do and don't have me in their contact list, when I know for a fact that some of the ones it's saying don't have me do have me.

RE: Contact List Cleaner by CookieRevised on 11-12-2009 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:

Hmm, I've just had a look through my contact list and can't confirm that.  Just found one contact who hasn't signed in since December 2008 and they're still showing as "having me" in contact list cleanup.
It doesn't happen with every contact, there are some other 'rules' too. But it sure can happen. See help.live.com for exact details. I can't find that specific page at this moment that quickly, sorry. But it sure is a confirmed policy which needs to be taken in account.

Bottom line is that these 'issues' are not always server synchronisation problems. They sometimes are because of strange/questionable but deliberate policies like the one I just described. Or because of a user's or contact's* fault like manipulating Messenger files (now or with a previous installation).

* it can be the fault of that specific contact too. For example: if he/she manipulated Messenger's files, it could screw up their syncronization with yours and thus also yours with theirs.

All this makes troubleshooting these 'issues' realy difficult and can only be done on a per-user basis by MS. Hence it is very important to not manipulate Messenger files and to contact support with the needed details so they can look into it. Seeking help on forums regarding these issues isn't going to help as nobody can actually do something about it, except MS themselfs. And after MS resets some stuff or whatever they do, it usually comes down to both parties (you and the contact) removing the other and removing the contact cashes, etc. In the end, it is seldom solved because of all this.

Indeed, the only thing which is always true is that it has never anything to do with Plus! itself though.
RE: Contact List Cleaner by aznmachine on 11-17-2009 at 06:24 PM

this is still a problem for me... and i know its unlikely to do with my side but some server side issue. There are 2 contacts that have deleted me but it still shows me as having them, not only that but I can still view their windows live profile including "What's new". In the past when these contacts deleted me I could not view their live profiles anymore and they showed up as having deleted me in msn but not now. How can I view their complete profiles if they've deleted me? Because for some reason on the msn server it hasn't updated that they have deleted me... and thats surely done from their side? I mean when they log in their contact list goes to the server right.. so it should update... but its not

RE: Contact List Cleaner by CookieRevised on 11-17-2009 at 06:50 PM

This could be because of what I described before: If they have tampered with their Messenger files, the stuff they do with their contacts is not syncronized to the servers (and thus eventually to you).

Now, mind you that this _could_ be the case. I'm not saying it is the case for sure. But it sure fits 100% into what I described before as to what can happen when you attempt to manipulate Messenger in some wrong way.

Another reason might be that they actually did not removed you completely from their 'Allow List', 'Contact List' _and_ 'Hotmail contacts list'. Depending on their Messenger (and hotmail/live mail) settings they might still have you in some list. Note: When you delete a contact it can not completely be removed until that contact also deletes you from his/her contact list. Only then you can also remove the contact from your Allow List (Tools > Options > Privacy).

Another reason might be that they have disabled the option "Only people on my allow list can see my status". When they remove you, you would still be able to see their status, etc....

RE: RE: Contact List Cleaner by mostang222 on 11-19-2009 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aznmachine
this is still a problem for me... and i know its unlikely to do with my side but some server side issue. There are 2 contacts that have deleted me but it still shows me as having them, not only that but I can still view their windows live profile including "What's new". In the past when these contacts deleted me I could not view their live profiles anymore and they showed up as having deleted me in msn but not now. How can I view their complete profiles if they've deleted me? Because for some reason on the msn server it hasn't updated that they have deleted me... and thats surely done from their side? I mean when they log in their contact list goes to the server right.. so it should update... but its not

am with u on that point ,,

its wierd lol