Shoutbox

Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? (/showthread.php?tid=92806)

Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by opac on 11-05-2009 at 11:54 PM

Hello,

I recently got the yes-no message asking me to upgrade to the latest version of messenger.  So I did a little searching and found that I can avoid upgrading by changing the compatibility to Windows 2000.  It worked find except Messenger Plus wont load in compatible mode for me...

I currently have Windows Live Messenger 8.5 and Messenger Plus 4.83

I want to keep using Messenger Plus and also this version or even an older version of Windows live messenger.  Is there anyway to fix this?

thanks a lot for any help/suggestions!

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by Chris4 on 11-06-2009 at 12:28 AM

Here are some instructions to trick Messenger into thinking it's using the 2009 version, when actually it's 8.5.

Note: I haven't tested it, so I can't confirm it works. Some details may not be exactly right.

1. Firstly, exit Messenger so it is not running.
1. Download ResHacker.
2. Once open, go to File > Open > C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe.
3. On the left, select the Version Info folder, then 1, then 1033.
4. In the main panel, scroll down to where it says:

code:
VALUE "ProductVersion", "8.5.xxx"
The x's represent the version you have.
5. Change the version number to the latest Messenger version, example: 14.0.8089.0726
6. Click the Compile Script button.
7. Then go to File > Save.
8. Close ResHacker. Run Messenger.

If you have problems, you may need to run ResHacker.exe as administrator (instructions).
RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by ShadowLurker on 11-06-2009 at 12:32 AM

I was just about to post the same solution but Chris beat me to it.

For me it works, but i've only changed the ProductVersion number (and to a slightly older version - 14.0.8064.0206) didn't change the FileVersion.

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by Chris4 on 11-06-2009 at 12:44 AM

Yeah you're right, you only need to change ProductVersion. Just thought I'd include FileVersion just in case. Corrected now, thanks.

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by opac on 11-06-2009 at 12:54 AM

thanks, it worked!!! :) 
I hope its stable... I have a feeling this will mess something else up... any known issues with this?

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by Chris4 on 11-06-2009 at 06:57 AM

Not really. If anything messes up, you can reinstall/repair Messenger and all the original files will be restored.
Note: Messenger Plus! Live comes with a handy tool to "Repair Messenger" in Control Panel. :happy:

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by Harushionu on 11-06-2009 at 09:46 AM

It's...not working for me. I can get MSN to run, but not with Plus! even after doing all of that. Could there be something I'm missing?

Edit: Nevermind that! I figured it out! Awesome tip, guys. Thanks so much. :D

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by gravexyz on 11-06-2009 at 10:28 AM

gah followed everything to the T. and its just still not working! cos it wants me to update still. and i cant handle updating cos off its mega yuckky look. lol i could skin the new version but i dnt wanna!

soo wot could i have missed??

-----
fixed i keept trying to use

VALUE "FileVersion", and not changing the VALUE "ProductVersion", lol

i love u guys

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by honey114 on 11-06-2009 at 10:41 AM

Hi,

yesterday I got the same problem. I had to upgrade my messenger, but I didn't want that !! :( Because, MSN 9 is the worst messenger ever, a very bad quality (voice and webcam).

Thanx for the help, I will try to fix the problem :)

ooohhh, it works!!! ^o^ Thanx a lot!!! 

[Image: joanana.gif][Image: joanana.gif] :o):o):o)
RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by bman409 on 11-06-2009 at 01:54 PM

Omg, I'm so glad I read this thread first before I did the update.

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by CookieRevised on 11-06-2009 at 04:05 PM

Note to all people trying to trick Messenger into not upgrading:

I'm the first person to acknowledge that Windows Live Messenger got bigger and that not everybody 'likes' it (I didn't liked the look at first either, believe me). But, instead of trying to trick Messenger, please upgrade for your own safety and for the safety of others....

So, I know some of you do not like the look or whatever of Windows Live Messenger 2009. But the fact is that you will cause problems for yourself and others by tricking Messenger and trying to avoid the upgrade.

There is actually no reason why you should not update... except for the looks maybe (but that can be altered with Plus! skinning). Moreover, not updating means that you will be vulnerable to possible bugs, and even worse, security issues.

The latest version of Messenger fixes again some security issues and bugs. It _is_ also a lot more stable than MSN Messenger was, eventhough you think it is not. If you have problems with the latest version it is not because it is full of bugs, but most likely because there is another issue at hand here which didn't popped up yet, which you didn't noticed before.

Eg: you previously tried to alter some files of Messenger and forgot about it. Or you previsouly had problems, surfed the web and found a fix, but when you tried it nothing happened, so no harm one right, wrong, it now backfires...

And if there are bugs in the latest version (of course there are always some bugs), then it would be imperative that you report them so they can be fixed properly, instead of trying all kinds of tricks which you find on various (unofficial) sites on the web.

Sticking your head in the sand and trying to trick Messenger is not going to fix such bugs... on the contrary, you are actually making it harder for Microsoft to fix possible bugs if you patch Messenger!!

The reason is quite simple: since you have patched the version number (most used method), the servers recieves protocol messages which do not belong to that version for example. Thus making it harder for MS to pinpoint potential connection and protocol problems/bugs/security issues.

Also, you're not only making it harder for Microsoft to fix and/or update possible bugs in the protocol and in the program, you also _will_ experience problems yourself in the long run with for example: signing in, contact syncronizations, adding contacts, and what not.

Because you have patched Messenger there is a very good chance that support will not be able to help you either.

Also, some tools, updates, etc of other software (based upon Messenger) will not work anymore or be crippled too.

So, in the end, you are all making it yourself (and other people) harder.
And insisting in using an older version only means that you are now wide open for possible security attacks.

;)

RE: Possible ways to use older version of msn and messenger plus? by footnoodles on 11-06-2009 at 09:28 PM

Thank you, so so so so sosososososososo much.