Shoutbox

[Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 (/showthread.php?tid=93836)

[Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by XgD on 02-14-2010 at 03:03 AM

Guys,

A while ago I let on I was working on an OTR encryption plug-in script for Messenger Plus, and then I got kinda busy and couldn't finish it.

Anyhow, I restarted work on it last weekend and I've got something usable and functional right now, but it needs a little more TLC before it's really ready to be let out properly.

So, what would be awesome is if anyone wants to test it. Ideally they'd understand OTR and how it works a bit, and use it sometimes. I've been testing this using a second account with Pidgin + the OTR plugin. If you could set this up, you're ideal for testing.

I've tested against both Miranda and Pidgin, and both seem to happily talk to me. You're welcome to try against other clients, but YMMV.

Download the latest version from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?4l1kzmb2l4d

Screenshot: http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=jjjtmdmjy2u&thumb=5

--------------------------------------
Known Issues:
Sometimes has trouble re-establishing a secure session in the same chat session. Type /end to clear the session and try again
Only supports v1 of the protocol. Clients implementing v2 will inter-operate, but they'll warn you
The key-exchange messages are ugly
--------------------------------------

Let me have any bug reports/feedback in here. Ta.

XgD

Update: Now version 0.13

RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by Chrissy on 02-14-2010 at 11:41 AM

You mean a script?

RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by XgD on 02-14-2010 at 12:05 PM

Yep, a script.

RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by Chrissy on 02-14-2010 at 01:42 PM

Look good, tbh. I'll easy test it out for you.

RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by XgD on 02-14-2010 at 02:18 PM

OK. Its getting better so I've uploaded it to my web server [see first post for a link]. Its some way off inclusion in the scripts database yet, but with a little more work it could get there.

Happy testing!

XgD

RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by Harsesis on 02-14-2010 at 03:15 PM

I tried it with Adium and a friend using your script and I got the following messages.

We received a malformed data message from....

An encrypted message from .... could not be decrypted.

Whenever I sent an OTR message my friends CPU would goto 100% for 30 seconds.

RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by XgD on 02-14-2010 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Harsesis
I tried it with Adium and a friend using your script and I got the following messages.

We received a malformed data message from....

An encrypted message from .... could not be decrypted.

Whenever I sent an OTR message my friends CPU would goto 100% for 30 seconds.

Interesting. I did all my development testing against Pidgin, and since your comment I've just tested against Miranda too and that works fine. I can't test against Adium as I have to boot my Mac into Windows to use Messenger Plus.

Try closing and reopening your messenger window, that rekeys the session.

Your actions shouldn't affect your friend's CPU, I'm following the protocol quite accurately.

XgD
RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by Chrissy on 02-14-2010 at 03:39 PM

If you want I can make a web page for it:P

RE: RE: [testers wanted] Off The Record - IM Encryption by XgD on 02-14-2010 at 09:31 PM

OK,

I've uploaded a new version which syncs better with the other clients I'm testing. I'm not really seeing the " We received an unreadable encrypted message from ... " messages unless I try and break it now.

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
If you want I can make a web page for it:P

If you like. I'm happy to keep it on here for now though.

Latest version is at the top.

XgD

PS. If anyone does get this working, it'd be cool if you let me know. I've not heard back from anyone about if it's worked yet or not!
RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.12 by billyy on 02-15-2010 at 08:52 PM

Ima try it directly :|

Requires msgplus...
I don't think people without msgplus could actualy read that :|
Or theyd need to know they could change .plsc to .zip and some would need to know how to unzip it...

RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.12 by djdannyp on 02-15-2010 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billyy
Ima try it directly :|

Requires msgplus...
I don't think people without msgplus could actualy read that :|
Or theyd need to know they could change .plsc to .zip and some would need to know how to unzip it...

Scripts can only be used with Messenger Plus! Live installed, unzipping the contents would be of no use to you.  Most people on these forums are aware of that, as this is the Messenger Plus! Live forums ;)
RE: RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.12 by billyy on 02-15-2010 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Scripts can only be used with Messenger Plus! Live installed, unzipping the contents would be of no use to you.  Most people on these forums are aware of that, as this is the Messenger Plus! Live forums ;)

Okay i might have misunderstood whut it said in the root of your script... or just forgotten about normal messenger plus... but you just greatly misunderstoon whut i said O_o
Now thats probably just cause of me acting all foreign :/
I meant that you wrote that in your script but people who wouldnt know it was for live only would know that after they had unpacked it or w/e.
Alltough i didn't know normal messenger plus had plugins too :/
RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.12 by Chrissy on 02-15-2010 at 10:50 PM

If it was released on these forums the chances are they are fully aware it needs to be installed.

There's not program than encrypts messages without it on both sides. As once it's encrypted and sent it needs the same program or another program to decrypt it :)

RE: RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.12 by XgD on 02-16-2010 at 01:43 AM

Updated to version 0.13. Better handles key change-over now, and sessions are maintained if the window is closed.

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
If it was released on these forums the chances are they are fully aware it needs to be installed.

There's not program than encrypts messages without it on both sides. As once it's encrypted and sent it needs the same program or another program to decrypt it :)

To clarify:
- It DOES need Messenger Plus
- OTR is an open standard. Any instant messaging app than can connect to MSN and understands OTR will work with this
- The recipient will need this script, or a client supporting OTR at the other end. A list of clients supporting OTR is on the wikipedia page.

XgD
RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by billyy on 02-16-2010 at 01:43 PM

Well offcourse it needs messenger plus but whats the use of putting that in the root of the script O_O
Ofcourse I understand all this i was just...
Never mind >_<

RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by akhiok on 08-11-2010 at 08:09 AM

Works great against pidgon for me.  Thanks.  Great to have.

RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by Enduin on 11-01-2010 at 12:41 PM

Thanks, your script works great!

I only had some problems with a contact using Adium. All the messages I received were in the following format:

code:
<FONT FACE="Lucida Grande">lorem ipsum</FONT>

I made a very quick and dirty solution for this in your script:
code:
var plain = aes_cipher.decrypt(data_str, this.receivingAESKey, counter_hi);
//////
if (plain.match("^<FONT") == "<FONT")
{
  plain = plain.substr(27);
  plain = plain.replace("</FONT>", "");
}
//////
return this.theirDSA.trusted() ? OTR_Tag + plain : OTR_Tag_Untrusted + plain;

When this contact changes the font it doesn't work (unless you edit the substring) so a better solution is needed.
RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by Henry00 on 09-22-2011 at 05:03 PM

Hi! My name is Henry from 00laboratories http://www.00laboratories.com/

I really like your work on OTR for messenger plus, but sadly enough I am having some trouble. My partner is a Pidgin user, but has a greater OTR version, I looked at the source code and it's not what i'd call easy to fix for an innocent user lol!

OTR goes correct at first, but after a while things like this happen:

Partner says:
?OTR Error: You transmitted an unreadable encrypted message.

Where the partner gets a message of:

~WARNING! Other client is using version 1 of OTR!

Could you please come back one more time to update it to 0.14? I would really really appreciate it, you are the only one who ever made a script for this in messenger plus!

Greets,
a Fan!

RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by Spunky on 09-22-2011 at 08:59 PM

OP hasn't been here in around 15 months so chances are they won't see your message (unless they are still subscribed to the thread). I don't know enough about OTR to be able to help unfortunately.

You can always send them an email here

RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by Henry00 on 09-23-2011 at 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I send him an email and copy pasted the text into the thread, hoping he would see me.. If all fails I can try building a global use DLL which messenger plus can react with as well, but seeing how advanced both "bob" and "alice" are I hoped to skip that for now.

RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by XgD on 09-23-2011 at 08:44 PM

Hello... I'm here. I don't use Messenger, let alone Messenger Plus any more. The "Version 1" message is generated by the other client because I only coded up version 1 (it was easier!). Version 2 is a lot more work and I won't have time to do it, sorry.

The bug about losing sync shouldn't happen. I'll have a think about why that might be and get back to you if I find a solution.

XgD

RE: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13 by Henry00 on 09-24-2011 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for the reply XgD, now I know I won't be wasting my time when building myself a script, I will post in this topic what I made once I finish it, but you're right, messenger plus is rather limited, the librarys you implented are really great, but I wonder if I should make a dll to do this, anyway thanks!