Shoutbox

Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. (/showthread.php?tid=95529)

Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by spvn on 10-01-2010 at 02:04 PM

So to my horror, our display names in WLM are now forced to sync with our profile name. Which is a shitty idea. Besides the obvious privacy issues, the following is what I have sent to Microsoft via the feedback site. I'll repost it here:
----------------------------------

(I'm appalled. You guys put out WLM 2011, yet that option isn’t available under "which version are you running"?)

(NOTE: The above was just complaining about how they don't even list WLM 2011 as an option when giving feedback)

Bring back display names. Now.

Setting the display name to our real names by default is probably the worst idea to ever come out of the WLM team. Display names are much more than just a way for us to be recognised, it's a way to express ourselves. All my friends have phrases/short forms of their names as display names, because it's more PERSONAL this way. That's what makes having custom display names so great, you're interacting with your friends simply by seeing what they've decided to set it as that day.

I'm going to change the name under my profile to whatever I like, making it impossible for others to find me through your social features, which makes your social features unusable. Bring back display names, or just get rid of all your social features, because almost everyone I know won't be putting their full name on there just to get their WLM names right.

------------------------------

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Chrissy on 10-01-2010 at 02:50 PM

I agree 100% (Y)

We need a campaign (facebook?) about this or some sort of resistance :zippy:

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 10-01-2010 at 02:58 PM

To 'express yourself' you should use the personal message, not your display name.

Other than that I agree with you that removing the possebility to have a display name other than your real name in Messenger (without changing your real name in your profile) is one of the worst decisions they've made.

The official reason behind it is so all the social network (namely Facebook) can now be syncronized better and the names you have across the Windows Live services and other social networks are the same. All in the name of 'to keep things the same/simple'; to make it more easier for the user to manage all the names, so to speak. But instead of fixing the issues on the Windows Live platform regarding different names across the different Windows Live services, they simply decided to remove display names all together and assumed everybody would like everyone else to see their real name.

See:
http://www.liveside.net/main/archive/2010/06/19/w...es-to-go-away.aspx

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windows...-your-privacy.aspx
topic: 'Additional privacy and profile changes'

Another argument of theirs is that people would better be recognized when you use their real name. Well newsflash for them: on the internet it is certainly not uncommon to only know a person by his or her handle/nickname and not by their real name!

It speaks for its own that not everybody agrees with these reasons and that their explaination is pretty poor. If you look at the demographics and stats of Messenger, Facebook and other social networks, together with how privacy is percieved around the world, then it is pretty obvious where such a decision comes from imho.

In the US, almost everybody uses Facebook (it is also the most used social network there). There it is also not uncommon to use your real name instead of a nickname and it is not seen as something strange to use your account both for pleasure as for business.

However, in the rest of the world, this is quite different. For instance in Europe, they are a bit more concerned and picky about privacy for instance; A name is seen here more as a private piece of information. And Facebook is not as widespread and using different accounts for pleasure and work is done more frequently.

But a 'problem' with that is that Facebook is designed around the fact that people should use their real name. It is actually against their policy to make a fake account (read: use a fake name) or make more than one account.

Putting all these things together and one can see where such a decision realy comes from and how they seriously made the wrong assumptions, probably governemented by their own social uses and views. But doing something like that for a program which is meant to be used around the globe is in my opinion, stupid and very shortsighted.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by blackjack on 10-01-2010 at 03:39 PM

Solution should be keeping nickname , but when you hover a contact on the contact list, it would be better to display the Real name of that person (Profile name) as well on conversations

Something like this: [Image: Shouldbelikethis.jpg]

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 10-01-2010 at 03:50 PM

@blackjack

Having a custom nickname feature is not a real solution, in whatever form!

This is not about being able to set a nickname for your contacts though!
This is about your own name and the inability to set a display name for yourself, about the privacy issues it brings with it for some people, about how you are now forced to use a fake name if you do not want everybody to know your real name by simply chatting with you*, etc.. etc...

Again, this is not about the name of your contacts, but about your own name.

* because despite what has officialy been said and claimed, you can _not_ control who sees your real name (last name) or not. And you were _not_ warned before the change took place from display name to real name.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by blackjack on 10-01-2010 at 04:01 PM

You got me wrong, i mean for the whole thing, Contacts keeping their Nickname but also showing the Real name (as it seems its very important for MS people, lol)

I also am worried about not being able to ''choose'' to keep or not to keep my nickname, im forced to Show my real name :P

anyway, i have my real name on msn at this time, but its not like its full of strangers that i dont want to see it :P

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Chrono on 10-01-2010 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
Contacts keeping their Nickname but also showing the Real name (as it seems its very important for MS people, lol)

cookie did understand :P And you're still wrong. For me, i dont care really if people see my real name, but it's understandable that someone may not want you to know his real name. Hence the "hover to see real name" doesnt work that well :P

i still like your idea better than how it is now, but as cookie said, it's not a proper solution
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by spvn on 10-02-2010 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To 'express yourself' you should use the personal message, not your display name.

Well maybe you and your friends/contacts use WLM differently from how I use it. I almost NEVER read my friends' personnel messages, but what I do see are their names when I start a convo with them.

Yes I definitely agree that there's that issue of privacy, but I'm sure the WLM team doesn't really care about that issue. To them, ALL your contacts are friends of yours, so they'd know your name already anyway. That's of course a dumb notion since people trade contacts online all the time.

But I think they dismissed this issue as being unimportant, or else they wouldn't have made such a huge change and removed display names. Thus, I tried to go at another angle when providing feedback, hoping they'd realise how important display names are.

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
Contacts keeping their Nickname but also showing the Real name (as it seems its very important for MS people, lol)

cookie did understand :P And you're still wrong. For me, i dont care really if people see my real name, but it's understandable that someone may not want you to know his real name. Hence the "hover to see real name" doesnt work that well :P

i still like your idea better than how it is now, but as cookie said, it's not a proper solution

Yes, the idea isn't a solution, but it is a step forward. Currently, there are sliders on your profile settings page that let you set who you want to be able to see your details. If they added "Name" there and allowed us to set it to "No one" or something like that, that'd be fine.

On top of that, bring back display names and implement blackjack's solution. In that case, people who still want others to see their names can set that to be so in their settings page, and when others mouseover his contact, they'll see it. For those who set it otherwise, their name will still be nicely hidden.

PROBLEM SOLVED. MICROSOFT, DO THIS NOW.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Chris4 on 10-02-2010 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by spvn
Well maybe you and your friends/contacts use WLM differently from how I use it. I almost NEVER read my friends' personnel messages, but what I do see are their names when I start a convo with them.

We're not talking about how you use it, we're talking about the purpose of it. Your nickname is generally for something short such as 'Chris' for me, then if I wanted to share anything else, that's what the personal message is for.

I know you're still used to the old MSN days when there was no personal message, but that's what it's there for - so you don't have to cram it all into one.

Even if you don't use/read personal messages, with no nickname feature in WLM 2011, you will now, so that's no longer a problem. Use social networks if you want to share stuff (which WLM is now connected with).

If you don't want someone knowing your name, why do you have them as a contact? It's the same thing for Facebook, that has your real name.. so what? Messenger wanted to be connected with social networks such as Facebook chat, and with that it makes sense to use the same name for each.

quote:
Originally posted by spvn
PROBLEM SOLVED. MICROSOFT, DO THIS NOW.

It doesn't matter how much you moan or campaign, it's not going to be changed. It has already passed through beta testing - the period of time in which things are changed and tested. It's something you've got to live with and get used to. Same thing happens with every new release and every time we have to say "you'll get used to it" and they do without realising it. It's for the best, I ensure you. ;)
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 10-02-2010 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
If you don't want someone knowing your name, why do you have them as a contact?
hu??? Welcome to the internet I'd say.

It is certainly absolutely not uncommon for people to chat with strangers or have 'anonymous' contacts where one only knows the handle/nickname of the contact.

Many people consider their real name as part of their private information, which they only want to share with very close friends and family. And that certainly does not mean you can't chat with other people, which might be your friends but not very close ones.

This has always been so, and will always be so on the internet. If you find that a strange concept, then take a look at every single forum which exists and ask that very same question to every member who didn't fill in their real name in their profile, then do the same for every Twitter member, and any other social network (except for Facebook).

quote:
It's the same thing for Facebook, that has your real name.. so what?
Nope. Sorry, but it is not the same, see my first post in this thread.

The concept of Facebook is actually very different and unique in that regards. Facebook has been designed from the beginning around the concept to use your real name (it is against their policies to use fake names btw). This is a quite different concept than any other social network or forum on the internet where it is common to use a handle/nickname and keep your real name private. You can view some very interesting papers, studies and videos in regards to this.

quote:
Messenger wanted to be connected with social networks such as Facebook chat, and with that it makes sense to use the same name for each.
Absolutely not! There is no technical reason at all why people wouldn't be able to still use a display name on Messenger or other Windows Live services. The only reason they did what they did is to make things 'simple'.

Also, and that is repeated over and over again too all over the internet in blogs comments and forums, not everybody uses Facebook. The argument of "on facebook you see the real name too" is very mute in regards to this particular discussion as it assumes everybody uses Facebook and (important too) connects their Windows Live account with their Facebook account (which is again something not everybody does, exactly to keep things seperate. eg: business/pleasure).

quote:
It's something you've got to live with and get used to. Same thing happens with every new release and every time we have to say "you'll get used to it" and they do without realising it. It's for the best, I ensure you. ;)
This is so not the same as a change in some usebility feature or layout change!!! This is fundamentally and completely very very different, and has nothing to do with "getting used to it".
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Chris4 on 10-02-2010 at 07:57 AM

quote:
hu??? Welcome to the internet I'd say.
Sure, but there's a difference between public forums (where I wouldn't necessarily put my full name) and request-only Messenger contacts.

quote:
Absolutely not! There is no technical reason at all why people wouldn't be able to still use a display name on Messenger or other Windows Live services. The only reason they did what they did is to make things 'simple'.
Fair point.

I personally don't mind sharing my full name with my Messenger contacts, but that's just me.

But even if there is a strong argument to keep nicknames, do you really think they'll change it back? I highly doubt they will, hence the "get used to it" approach.
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 10-02-2010 at 08:38 AM

quote:
I personally don't mind sharing my full name with my Messenger contacts, but that's just me.
For most of my contacts, I don't mind either. Though, I still which there was a way so I can talk to other people I'd like to talk to without comprimising my 'privacy' and without the need of another account (with fake real name) and all the hassle it brings with it.

I guess it highly depends on how you use Messenger and for what you use it. If you're only using Messenger to chat with family for example, yeah, then it probably doesn't matter that they can see your real name. But everybody uses Messenger in a different way.

For example, Messenger is also a nice platform to give support. Aka you also talk to strangers (and you keep your profile data private/closed or only accessable to a select list of known contacts). This isn't possible anymore without compromising your real name, etc. In fact, because of the way they implemented the change at the start, all those strangers now know your real name because there was no warning of the change and you hadn't the chance to remove or change your real name.

quote:
But even if there is a strong argument to keep nicknames, do you really think they'll change it back? I highly doubt they will, hence the "get used to it" approach.
I doubt it too, but one can only hope....
I understand your "get used to it" approach, though I refuse to give in with such a catch phrase just like that and will probably always recommend to complain to MS about it.
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by alisclow on 10-03-2010 at 01:09 PM

I'm against this change.

Here in Brazil, that's where I live, Messenger is used in a much more free way - most people are not very picky of who they add or not. So almost everyone uses nickname - or just the first name - when on the internet. WLM is largely used as a way to know strangers a bit better - someone you met one a forum, social network (as Orkut, that is the most used here - Facebook is not that popular yet), chat rooms and so on. So here it's a big security issue: people that are upgrading are opening personal info sometimes to completely strangers. Even in Orkut people usually don't put their full name on it. Not even in Facebook, as a matter of fact.

Some may say that how people use WLM here should change, but I think that's beside the point - you see I'm extremely criterious of who I add, I have almost only people that I know in my real life and yet I use a nickname. Because as I said: ALMOST. There are some 'strangers'. I think that's why most messengers uses nickname system: it's safer. This this way: there are lots of chat groups WLM-based out there. It's very common here to have this tipe of service offered from sites to promote their visitors and members integration. Here Messenger is rarely used as just a  tool to keep in contact with family or for work-related: it's almost a social network on itself.

Worse than that, if any person of my contact list upgrade, they'll see my real name without me knowing that. That's plainly invasive. As now that I upgraded I see from people I have on my contact list. And with a full name if I wanted I could do some really bad things without much effort. It's not that hard to find your ID card number, telephone number or other highly personal information with a full name - and this things we donm't shed that easily here! With name and birthday date I could retrieve almost any information that I want. You why I say that here this IS a security issue really really bad?

I don't know if there is a way of changing that but yes I believe that complaining may be the only chance. I don't care about Facebook: I have it and it's not a WLM feature that I see as essential. Lots of people will simply ignore it - as I said Orkut is popular, not Facebook. They should not compromise security based on that. Things are not just worse because most people here still uses the old WLM - because they heard bad things about the new one, because there is no Msg Plus! for it or because they like Win XP too much to upgrade to Win7.

So that's my humble opinion - as just a normal user. I'm sorry if I made grammar mistakes (as I said, I'm Brazillian, I speak Portuguese, not English XD).

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by dbgarza on 10-04-2010 at 08:02 AM

It really wasn't necesary to remove the display names. Look at AIM for example.

AIM 7 has facebook integration and you also can chat with your facebook friends through it. When you talk with your AIM contacts, you and them appear with the AIM name, but if you have a chat with a facebook friend, only on that conversation tab you are displayed with your facebook name aka you real name. Heck even your display image on the facebook chat tab changes to your facebook avatar, while on the AIM chats you retain your AIM buddy icon.

So if AIM could handle it in such smart way then Microsoft has no excuse for have removed the display names.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Yugo on 10-07-2010 at 07:59 PM

I'm against this choice too. However, I don't think it's a privacy issue, but only an "aesthetic" one.

Windows Live introduced the real name a while ago, and everyone that updated it on his profile made it visible to every Messenger contact, also in the previous version of Messenger. In addition, even if you don't put your full name on Windows Live, if you use the same mail address on Facebook, everyone of your Messenger contacts using Facebook will be able to find you on Facebook and so discover your real name.
So, if you worry about showing your real name, simply don't put it on Windows Live and don't associate your WL ID with anything that uses your real name!

For me it's not a problem to show my real name, I used to do it on ICQ, ten years ago, well before Facebook! However, the real name on ICQ was part of the (optional) personal information, but in the contact list and chat window only the nicknames were displayed.
It should be the same on WLM! Or, at least, it should be an option: I should be able to choose my own "nickname" (the display name), and the contacts should be able to choose to see me in the contact list with my real name, my display name or to override it with another nickname.

I have many contacts that use simply their first name as display name, and many have the same names! So, if they don't have a photo, I have to check their mail address to understand who they are... so I think that showing the full name somewhere in a tip or in the conversation window is useful. But I want to be able to show me as "Johnny" instead of "John" keeping "John" in my profile!

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by ahmetgns on 10-07-2010 at 08:44 PM

I personally didn't like the change too. Also what I cannot understand is why Windows Live tries that hard to connect with Facebook, to adopt its Real Name strategy etc. I still refuse to connect my Windows Live and Facebook because I like to use them only on their sites seperately. I think Windows Live and many other services try to survive against huge Facebook popularism. But what they must do to survive is to keep their originality.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 10-08-2010 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Yugo
Windows Live introduced the real name a while ago, and everyone that updated it on his profile made it visible to every Messenger contact, also in the previous version of Messenger.
Not entirly true though.

quote:
In addition, even if you don't put your full name on Windows Live, if you use the same mail address on Facebook, everyone of your Messenger contacts using Facebook will be able to find you on Facebook and so discover your real name.
Very true, but not everyone uses/links with facebook. Hence, the Facebook argument hasn't that much of a weight here imo.

Also, there is something like giving people everything on a platter or spoon feeding them. I mean, I don't care if people put some effort in it and try to find out my real name. I know there are ways to do it. But giving them everything on a platter is taking it a step further. In that case they don't need to search for anything, they don't need to connect the dots themselfs. In some ways this is a good thing of course, but it is also taking it a step closer to some privacy issues. Making it 'harder' for people to find such personal info (but not impossible) is quite often enough to protect yourself from basic abuse/bullying/etc.

quote:
So, if you worry about showing your real name, simply don't put it on Windows Live and don't associate your WL ID with anything that uses your real name!
True... for new accounts or newly added contacts. But here comes that privacy issue into play. There was no warning when MS made the change to how it currently is. Hence, everyone could see your real name after that change, without giving you the chance to change it to something fake. Also, you still can not select who will be able to see your last name or not, despite the instructions given on your Profile page.

But regardless of all of this, it would indeed be very nice if they at least add the ability again to have a display name again.

quote:
I have many contacts that use simply their first name as display name, and many have the same names! So, if they don't have a photo, I have to check their mail address to understand who they are... so I think that showing the full name somewhere in a tip or in the conversation window is useful. But I want to be able to show me as "Johnny" instead of "John" keeping "John" in my profile!
Aye! I too have a very hard time now recognizing my contacts because quite frankly I do not know their real names (I always knew them by their online handle/display name) nor do I know the emails they use for some of them (who would think that you need to remember it). And thus I don't know anymore who is who. So, even now that everything is linked and real names are shown, I actually need to put serious effort into finding out who is who again and in some cases I actually can not identify some contacts anymore at all (other than sending an embarrassing message asking them who they are), lol!
Thank god you can still set a nickname in your own contactlist for your contacts.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by V@no on 10-21-2010 at 12:51 PM

If MS kills WLM2009 protocol support as they did with v8.5, it will be the last day I use WLM. They will force me switch to something else, like skipe...

For these who "accidentally" installed 2011 crap and wants go back to 2009 version, you can downgrade it from here

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by TwistedAlice on 10-27-2010 at 07:35 PM

I've downgraded again.  Not that I think it's going to make much difference.  The way I see it, if you are on someone else's msn and they have upgraded they will still see your full name.

What gets me is that when I was younger, say when I was 15-17 I was constantly in chat rooms and making new 'friends', they were strangers that I could enjoy a chat with.  Once getting to know them a little you might have added them to your msn so you might have a number of contacts that you know only online.

When you're a young impressionable person you might tell them you're real name, but it was drummed into me from a very young age there are scary people out there and you should never use your real name.  Hell I don't even use my real name on Facebook, just because.

What about all these younger people (my neices that are only 12 spring to mind)?? They have over 100 contacts on their lists, half of them they have no idea who they are.  Any one of these people could be the wrong kind of people, and telling them information like your real name is a no no, and it should be up to you to choose who you want to tell your real name to.

Now most of us on here are adults and we all know the risks of talking to random strangers online.  But so many young kids out there don't know the dangers.  I was extreamly techy savvy, but lots of kids are not.  They are young and naive and might not realise what they are doing.  Surely Microsoft have missed an important parental setting with this????

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by b-adam on 10-31-2010 at 02:05 PM

I was shocked when i first installed 2011, If nothing happens I will definitely consider switching to an alternative application.

For anyone who's interested, i've just created a FB group and would like share it here.

As a disclaimer i'd like to say that i am NOT affiliated with microsoft in any way and the group will probably have no effect on them at all. :P

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_141853819195746

if any of the mods consider this as spam or advertising, please remove my post, i'm here in peace ^^

anyways, let's just hope MS comes to their senses

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 10-31-2010 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by b-adam
I was shocked when i first installed 2011, If nothing happens I will definitely consider switching to an alternative application.

For anyone who's interested, i've just created a FB group and would like share it here.

As a disclaimer i'd like to say that i am NOT affiliated with microsoft in any way and the group will probably have no effect on them at all. :P

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_141853819195746

That wont do much good though imho.
Also, the funny thing is, one of the main reasons you don't have a display name anymore, is exactly because of the connection to other social networks, especially like Facebook....

quote:
Originally posted by b-adam
anyways, let's just hope MS comes to their senses
aye!

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Butcher_ss on 11-01-2010 at 07:23 PM

We should all change our Profile name to Fork M$ and by fork i don't mean fork. Personally, most people that i have on WLM know me by my nickname and not by my name. Personally i don't use WLM that much but still people see my nickname and know who i am. I hate that M$ seems to use this policy in pretty much all its products, that is it forces people to undergo certain changes without giving them an option.  These so called "updates" and "upgrades" are nothing but that if they force these changes on the users and don't provide any alternative or option.  Some people said that they hope M$ does change this or they come to their senses which is not going to happen. Same reason why this was not released on XP and the same reason why the enforce these changes. The reason being that they will do whatever the heck they want, whatever will bring them more money and simply ignore anything that is different than what they want to do.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 11-01-2010 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
Same reason why this was not released on XP and the same reason why the enforce these changes.
Actually, the reason why it was not released for XP is completely and utterly different and has got nothing to do with the reasons why they changed the display name policy.

Also note that if it was soley to "bring them more money", logic would dictate that they would have released the same thing for XP too, as some people still use it without the ability to update to Vista or Win7.
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Butcher_ss on 11-02-2010 at 12:44 PM

On the contrary, by not releasing on XP what are they doing (i am referring to the new version of WLM)? Promoting Vista and Windows 7. Windows XP is not making any more sales at the moment and by not releasing this a person who wants this will either switch to Vista/7 or not install it.

If that person wants better synchronisation with Facecrap they have to upgrade. Again, promoting Vista/7. The reason this policy was changed was as previously mentioned to allow better synchronisation but why wasn't it offered on XP as well since more users have XP than Vista/7?

Because promoting a new product on a system that people already have will not bring them money. Same thing why they will not be releasing IE9 on XP, most people already have XP but if they want the new toys they have to get a new OS>>> More money.

The display name policy was changed so that there is better synchronisation and so on. What does that mean? People will be using WLM for more than just a single chat program. Using WLM for more purposes than just chat means that WLM will be used more if it provides more services. Correct? And what does WLM have? ADS. Meaning if more people use a product, then it means that more people will be seeing the Ads that the program has, hence the Ads just became more expensive>>More money.

Simple economics.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by CookieRevised on 11-02-2010 at 01:22 PM

The main reason why WLM2011 was developped for Vista/Win7 only is because they wanted to use the new technology provided by Vista/Win7 which is not present in XP. This can be checked and read on many (un)official pages - and that's also the same reason why IE9 is developped for Vista/Win7, or any other new 'toy' for that matter: to take advantage of the new technology (it would be stupid not to).

Most of the stuff currently done in WLM2011 is not possible to do on XP because that simply doesn't have the required new architecture.

But yes, you're correct that they want people to use Vista/Win7 but that was certainly not the main reason behind the decision to only develop Messenger for Vista/Win7. There are far many and better ways to promote and push the new OS than using a (free) IM program.

quote:
The display name policy was changed so that there is better synchronisation and so on. What does that mean? People will be using WLM for more than just a single chat program. Using WLM for more purposes than just chat means that WLM will be used more if it provides more services. Correct? And what does WLM have? ADS. Meaning if more people use a product, then it means that more people will be seeing the Ads that the program has, hence the Ads just became more expensive>>More money.
err nope, I beg to differ... I think you made a wrong turn somewhere there... If that (revenue by ads) was the main reason, then it would have been more logic to also develop the same thing for XP since then even more people would see those new -way to big- ads instead of the smaller and less revenue providing things.

Either way, and no matter how you wanna look at it or how you explain the reason behind only developping for Vista/Win7, the direction the display names took hasn't got anything todo with what OS Messenger runs on, it even hasn't got anything to do with what version of Messenger you're using in the first place. Nor was money the driving factor behind it. That's completely different. The main reason was that they wanted to offer a more easier and consistant way of setting your display name across their different services, that's all. If Vista/Win7 wouldn't exist, they probably would also have made that (stupid imho) decision of the display names.
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by andyo on 11-03-2010 at 11:47 AM

Something weird happened to me. I'm still running 14.0.8117.416. I had changed my first and last name to the same display name I always had back when I tried the 2011 beta, cause I was anticipating this. But one of my friends who recently updated to 2011 made fun of me cause he thought I put my (very long) full name there.

I told him about the display name thing with the new version, but I thought somehow I had forgotten to change my full name, since he was still seeing it. I went to my Live profile, and sure enough, the display name I had changed a long time ago was still there. I changed my first/last names just to try, but my friend still sees my full name (with the new display name in parenthesis after it). I don't know of any other place where you can change your name. Heck, I don't even think I ever put my full whole name ever, but I must have at some point, I guess. Don't know why I would have done it though.

So my question is, where in the world could WLmessenger be getting my full name from?

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Menthix on 11-03-2010 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyo
So my question is, where in the world could WLmessenger be getting my full name from?
Either http://profile.live.com/details/edit/name or sign in to an old Messenger version and your old friendly name is there. Depending on which client your contacts use they can see either of those.
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Chris4 on 11-03-2010 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Also - If your Windows Live profile is connected to any services, e.g. YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, etc. it may get it from there, meaning WLM 2011 users will see it.

http://profile.live.com/Services/
RE: RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by andyo on 11-04-2010 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Either http://profile.live.com/details/edit/name or sign in to an old Messenger version and your old friendly name is there. Depending on which client your contacts use they can see either of those.

I'm using 2009 (14.0.8117.416) and my friend is using the latest 2011. I did change my name there, where you link, into the display name I wanted. It's right there right now. And even before that, I didn't have my full name there, I had a different nickname. Weird stuff really. Some setting must have got stuck or something. I tried to install WLM2011 into another PC, but somehow the installation completely messed up my Win 7 taskbar (icons were gone), and Messenger wouldn't connect. And after uninstalling and doing a system restore to before installation, icons were still gone, and my Firefox profile was reset!  The installation seems really intrusive.

Also, Facebook is the only other service I use, and I never used my full name on FB. Even more so, it's not connected to Live.
RE: RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Yugo on 11-04-2010 at 05:20 PM

quote:
I went to my Live profile, and sure enough, the display name I had changed a long time ago was still there. I changed my first/last names just to try, but my friend still sees my full name (with the new display name in parenthesis after it).

A possibility could be that your friend has set your full name in the Hotmail contacts. Since he updated to WLM 2011, that name has been used also in Messenger and "overrides" the one that you set.

I think so because I've noticed that when I browse the profile of some of my friends I also see the full name followed by a fake name in parenthesis. This is because I always used to set the real name of my friends to use it in Windows Live Mail.
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by andyo on 11-07-2010 at 07:43 AM

I thought that too but there's no reason for him to put my real name there (he was the one mocking me cause he thought I did it, and also no one calls me by that name), and if he had done that before upgrading, my full name would have still shown in the previous version of messenger, no?

Anyway, sooner or later I'll get to test this with another PC I guess, and with anothes Live account so I'll see for myself what's up.

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by haishama on 02-02-2011 at 10:37 PM

windows live messenger was better the way it was.. those people destroyed what was almost perfect

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Butcher_ss on 02-24-2011 at 06:42 PM

I noticed that in the last few days my name keeps changing without me doing anything. I am currently running Windows XP with 2009 and sometimes my name will change from my nickname to my actual name and the picture i have will get removed. The same has happened to my sister and her photo as well.

I have also seen this happening on some of my contacts, their nickname disappears along with their picture and then their profile name appears. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by djdannyp on 02-25-2011 at 08:44 AM

quote:
I noticed that in the last few days my name keeps changing without me doing anything. I am currently running Windows XP with 2009 and sometimes my name will change from my nickname to my actual name and the picture i have will get removed. The same has happened to my sister and her photo as well.

I have also seen this happening on some of my contacts, their nickname disappears along with their picture and then their profile name appears. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

It's probably due to Windows Live Hotmail automatically signing in when you check your e-mail.  Look down the left hand side and you should be able to sign out of the Hotmail Messenger and then it will stay this way permanently and your display name should be unaffected if you change it back
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE. by Butcher_ss on 03-03-2011 at 09:03 AM

Thanks for the help, i'll follow your instructions, maybe this will fix things.