Shoutbox

about chat logging - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: about chat logging (/showthread.php?tid=96683)

about chat logging by DoUdAr on 02-09-2011 at 12:24 PM

i used to right click any contact from the main window and open the chat log from the right click- menu and it used to read all my old as soon as i set the directory and set it to log by contact name..

the new version when i do right click it doesnt read my OLD chat logs recorded by 4.9 version .. it only shows the v5 files .. although i can still manually open the old files normally..

RE: about chat logging by matty on 02-09-2011 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DoUdAr
i used to right click any contact from the main window and open the chat log from the right click- menu and it used to read all my old as soon as i set the directory and set it to log by contact name..

the new version when i do right click it doesnt read my OLD chat logs recorded by 4.9 version .. it only shows the v5 files .. although i can still manually open the old files normally..
I never tested the logging but it could be that the new log files are stored in a different location. (Check the preferences to see if the path is different.) If this is the case then you can simply move the files to the new directory.
RE: about chat logging by DoUdAr on 02-09-2011 at 01:47 PM

it set to the same directory i used to store in it and it saves right next to the old ones with the same name format but still doesnt read the old ones when i right click a contact that have old chat logs

RE: about chat logging by matty on 02-09-2011 at 01:53 PM

Are the chat logs encrypted? Are you saying that when you open up the log viewer you aren't seeing the chat sessions from previous months?

If you could screenshot what are seeing, or better yet not seeing, that would be great.

RE: about chat logging by Menthix on 02-09-2011 at 01:56 PM

Are you saving them using slightly different settings perhaps (.html vs .txt, or creating folders per month vs creating them per contact)? Seems you do save them the same way.

A screenshot of the Log Viewer (with everything in 'Log Folder' expanded, together with a screenshots of the missing log files in an explorer window, and a screenshot of log settings (Plus! settings -> Logs -> Chat Logging). May help a lot.

RE: about chat logging by DoUdAr on 02-09-2011 at 01:57 PM

in the "log viewer" it shows all logs old and new..

when i right click a contact that has new v5 files it opens normally..

when i right click a contact that has no v5 log files yet it says that there is no logs for him althogh when i open the log viewer i can see the old logs

RE: about chat logging by Spunky on 02-09-2011 at 03:06 PM

I think it may be a new registry key in MP!5... Not tested anything yet, but maybe it checks for a key to see if any logs have been saved for that contact. If so, display an option in the context menu to be able to view them. If it's not set, then hide the option as there is nothing to see.

It could just be a lack of foresight in development as obviously there may be previous chat logs from an older version of MP!L that didn't set the same registry key...

Just one possible cause

RE: about chat logging by CookieRevised on 02-09-2011 at 04:30 PM

This sounds like that bug which was reported that logs from previous months aren't read (in case there are no logs for this month).

DoUdAr, can you give more details like Menthix asked for?
And/or could you give a description of how you've set all the options related to logging (Plus! settings -> Logs -> Chat Logging).?

RE: about chat logging by Apatik on 02-09-2011 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This sounds like that bug which was reported that logs from previous months aren't read (in case there are no logs for this month).
Indeed, this reminds of [SOFTWARE 673]"No log file for this contact" if the current month has no conversation but would need confirmation?
RE: about chat logging by matty on 02-09-2011 at 05:47 PM

DoUdAr please note you won't have access to the aforementioned link posted as it is in the beta forum.

RE: about chat logging by thekokii on 02-09-2011 at 05:51 PM

also it doesnt save windows live group chat chats. it creates the log file and it is there during the conversation but after closing the windows it just disappear

RE: about chat logging by DoUdAr on 02-09-2011 at 11:32 PM

here is a screenshot of the settings

[Image: 87496721.png]

[Image: 28189647.png]

I could analyze the situation as this
1. i went to one of my old logs  its name is April 2010 (i set the logs by mail account)
2. i set my laptop date to April 2010
3. right clicked the same contact from the main menu in WLM and shoot it opened
4. the result: when u right click a contact it seems like it searched for a log in the current month if there is no file for the current month it says there is no logs for that contact..

RE: about chat logging by Apatik on 02-10-2011 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DoUdAr

4. the result: when u right click a contact it seems like it searched for a log in the current month if there is no file for the current month it says there is no logs for that contact..
It actually looks for a log in the current month or the previous one. That's the same "bug" (more like a design issue) SonicSam already reported, we'll look into it :)
RE: about chat logging by DoUdAr on 02-10-2011 at 11:36 AM

thanks man ;)