Shoutbox

The skinning contest starts... now! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: The skinning contest starts... now! (/showthread.php?tid=97232)

The skinning contest starts... now! by Menthix on 03-26-2011 at 11:24 PM

As we announced before, the skinning contest is back, and it starts today. The contest consists of two parts. You can either make a Messenger Plus! skin pack for Messenger 2011, or if you are not into the technical aspect of making a Plus! skin you can design your vision of a Messenger 2011 skin in Photoshop or Illustrator. The objective is the same in both cases. Make Messenger 2011 look great!

So what is in it for you? Prizes, and you decide what kind of prizes. Winners receive a gift card from one of the preselected online stores ranging in value from 500 up to 1250 US dollar. As a bonus everyone who submits a Messenger 2011 skin package which gets approved will receive a small mystery prize. The contest is open to Plus! users worldwide.

From today until May 15th you can submit your skin packages and skin designs to compete for the prizes. See the contest page for the full details. Have fun!

http://www.msgplus.net/Contest :banana:

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Nagamasa on 03-27-2011 at 12:11 AM

No more big master winner category?

Er, I'll email Plus! Buttons now, seeing I've tried without success (10+ times) to upload it.

Time to start skinning half way through exams :D

Edit: Also, one person cannot win more than one of the prizes?

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by blessedguy on 03-27-2011 at 12:44 AM

:banana: finally :P

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Edit: Also, one person cannot win more than one of the prizes?

"Contestants can submit multiple creations in multiple categories but only a maximum of 1 prize will be awarded per contestant." (A)
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by LuckyMe on 03-27-2011 at 12:57 AM

Great, hope to see nice skins hit the database :D

Just one question:

code:
Skins are not allowed to hide Messenger's advertisements (at the bottom of the contacts list and the conversation windows).

that means not even .reg files?
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Willz on 03-27-2011 at 01:38 AM

The rules with regards to ads are the same as when you submit a skin to the database pretty much. Just obviously make sure that your skins do take into account that an ad should be there.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by coolzee on 03-27-2011 at 02:08 AM

finally! I thought it will never start..lol

so 5 winners in total.

judges is willz and menthix. Great! :P

I hope I win. :P

So 7 weeks? march 27 - may 15

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Willz on 03-27-2011 at 02:27 AM

yep, just to give people enough time to get creative and also for newcomers to learn if need be.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by warmth on 03-27-2011 at 02:17 PM

Yeahhhhhhhh great gift for my birthday! :D

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Basilis on 03-27-2011 at 08:10 PM

I still remember my skin containing 70 options and not a single bug not winning in the functionality category in the 1st contest.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by CookieRevised on 03-27-2011 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I still remember my skin containing 70 options and not a single bug not winning in the functionality category in the 1st contest.
:( Maybe you'll win this time.... don't give up....

But note that having massive set of options is not always the same as 'functionality'. On the contrary, quite often less is more...
RE: RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Willz on 03-28-2011 at 08:52 AM

quote:

Functionality doesn't just involve having heaps of options. Innovation is the key to winning and how well the features work with the skin overall.

A skin could have thousands of options, but it doesn't make it better than a skin that has 6 options that are more thought out. As cookie said, less can be more.
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Basilis on 03-28-2011 at 12:27 PM

Many options of that skin were not included in any other skin and the target was that the user could put everything where he wanted.

Of course functionality is something general, and people can have different views on that. But I remember that the skins that won in that category got the award mostly for their simple design (!) (Patchou had actually revealed that one skin would win by referring to it in a news post in the 1st week of the contest, while 3 weeks were left to the end).

What I say is that it would have been more fair if a voting was done and not 2-3 people making the decision.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by matty on 03-28-2011 at 02:04 PM

If I wanted to participate in the design only portion can it be a mockup outside of Photoshop or Illustrator? I am running on a netbook now and doubt it could handle that!

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by foaly on 03-28-2011 at 02:14 PM

quote:
What I say is that it would have been more fair if a voting was done and not 2-3 people making the decision.
voting on the internet usually get's down to a point where the result is based on who can script the most votes or who can drum up the most 'friends' so I doubt it would make it more fair...
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by CookieRevised on 03-28-2011 at 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
quote:
voting on the internet usually get's down to a point where the result is based on who can script the most votes or who can drum up the most 'friends' so I doubt it would make it more fair...
Exactly what I was going to say
+
A public voting system for stuff like that is also a bit 'unfair' because you can never be sure if everybody have reviewed all the skins. For all you know people simply vote on the first thing they see without even looking at the rest.

This said, a bigger jury is always better though, provided they all review each and every item of course.

But, I suppose it is what it is, and even if it is just 2 or 3 persons, I'm sure they will vote in a fair matter and with the proper background knowledge (hence why I like that Willz is jury too).
RE: RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Willz on 03-28-2011 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Many options of that skin were not included in any other skin and the target was that the user could put everything where he wanted.

Of course functionality is something general, and people can have different views on that. But I remember that the skins that won in that category got the award mostly for their simple design (!) (Patchou had actually revealed that one skin would win by referring to it in a news post in the 1st week of the contest, while 3 weeks were left to the end).

It's a given that in any contest there will be people who will be unhappy with who won, it can't be helped. The last contests final call was done by Patchou, and knowing him I really really doubt he would have put any bias in it.

And so what if he posted about a skin that actually won? In any design type contest you always see entries that are worth mentioning because they stand out a little bit. It's not uncommon to see people post about the progress of a contest with some entries that stand out (especially one that goes for as long as this one does).

Like I said before, just because your skin has a feature all the others don't does not mean its an instant win. It doesn't work that way. Anyway that contest is in the past so I think we should move past that.

This time around things are a bit different because I will a major part of the judging process and of course as will Menthix. Coming from a skinning background I can tell how long someone could have taken on a particular aspect of a skin and also be able to see when something simple has been done in a clever way.

And Menthix has seen enough skins come through in his lifetime that he will definitely be able to make the same calls.

Like the saying goes, there's no use crying over spilt milk. Focus on the now and get to work. :)

quote:
Originally posted by matty
If I wanted to participate in the design only portion can it be a mockup outside of Photoshop or Illustrator? I am running on a netbook now and doubt it could handle that!

As long as you can make it easy to be able to separate the resources into individual images and its a format I can work with then go for it.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by ipab on 04-01-2011 at 07:01 PM

Does this mean you're not competing will? If so, then I'm going to come back to skinning :P

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Chrono on 04-01-2011 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Does this mean you're not competing will? If so, then I'm going to come back to skinning

he isnt, he's actually a judge :p
RE: RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by coolzee on 04-01-2011 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Does this mean you're not competing will? If so, then I'm going to come back to skinning :P

Don't come back, I'll have less chance to win the contest if you do. :P
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Basilis on 04-06-2011 at 11:48 AM

Just saw now that the usable category focuses on the options, the layout and the functionality. So, if a skin with simple layout, no bugs and 75 options didn't won last time, there is definitely no reason to put any effort for this contest.

Only someone who has spent time and has tried hard to create a quality skin can see what I am talking about. Others will think I am just someone who unreasonably feels that the result last time was not fair.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Nagamasa on 04-12-2011 at 01:55 AM

Just wondering: do you have any stats to share? :P

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Horseboy on 04-12-2011 at 07:00 PM

I'm good at graphics design, I would've entered the contest, but to be honest I don't want to learn how to skin just yet, I need to get comfortable with scripting.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Menthix on 04-12-2011 at 10:22 PM

quote:
What kind of stats are you looking for? I can probably whip something up tomorrow.

Horseboy: If you're good with graphics but not so much with skinning itself you can go for the design-only category, see the contest page.
RE: RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Horseboy on 04-12-2011 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
What kind of stats are you looking for? I can probably whip something up tomorrow.

Horseboy: If you're good with graphics but not so much with skinning itself you can go for the design-only category, see the contest page.

Ok, I'll check it out :)
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Nagamasa on 04-14-2011 at 04:15 AM

quote:
quote:

I dunno, anything astronomical? Unique? # of submissions?

I'm just curious as the skinning contest goes on.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Nathalie on 05-03-2011 at 06:13 PM

Less than 2 weeks left!  Remember that you don't need to have a technical background to enter the Design Category!!!  Help spread the word.  More details at www.msgplus.net/contest

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Basilis on 05-09-2011 at 07:45 PM

How many skins have been submitted so far?

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Menthix on 05-09-2011 at 08:07 PM

quote:
How many skins have been submitted so far?
Don't have the actual submission stats (including rejected ones), but 10 skins have been accepted so far. Last week people :).
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by coolzee on 05-16-2011 at 03:16 PM

so.. the contest is finally over. I thought zoid is going to submit something. Looking forward to the results.

Good luck to the skin developers that did submit a skin. :)

ps. I just notice a small bug with my skin, oh well...too late. :P

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Menthix on 05-16-2011 at 03:54 PM

:banana:

I'll make a short news post tonight which will also let everyone know when we will announce the winners.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Nagamasa on 05-16-2011 at 09:11 PM

* Nagamasa whips MenthiX to approve Metro.

But yay for skin and exam cram.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Menthix on 05-16-2011 at 09:30 PM

quote:
It is approved? http://www.msgplus.net/Downloads/Download-Details/DocumentID/13105/

I'll do the news post tomorrow btw, waiting for a bit of info from Willz... timezones... :$. Don't want to announce a date I might have to change.
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Nagamasa on 05-16-2011 at 10:00 PM

quote:
quote:
It is approved? http://www.msgplus.net/Downloads/Download-Details/DocumentID/13105/

My screen begs to differ :S

[Image: notapproved.png]
Download count reflects that...60 downloads is unreasonably small compared to the 20k Blue Grass has. I don't think it's THAT bad.
RE: RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by ZOiD on 05-17-2011 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coolzee
so.. the contest is finally over. I thought zoid is going to submit something. Looking forward to the results.

Good luck to the skin developers that did submit a skin. :)

ps. I just notice a small bug with my skin, oh well...too late. :P
Hi!!!
I dont release anything XD! cuz i think, the new skinning system dont work for me (6)...

Maybe someday when reshaping back (i hope :banana:) I will release more skins!!!

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1013938]

sEEYA And good luck!

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Menthix on 05-17-2011 at 12:33 PM

quote:
My screen begs to differ :S

Download count reflects that...60 downloads is unreasonably small compared to the 20k Blue Grass has. I don't think it's THAT bad.
Hmm, that's odd indeed. It's not showing up in any of the lists. Perhaps there is some kind of bug going from 'Shared' to 'Public' :(. See PM.

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by matty on 05-17-2011 at 01:47 PM

Metro has my vote hands down. This is the only skin I have ever used. It is so minimal that it is fantastic!

RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by coolzee on 05-17-2011 at 03:33 PM

My Prediction:

Most Stylish

1st Place: Stealth by LuckyMe winner of $1250 gift card

2nd Place: Blue Grass by coolzee winner of $750 gift card

Most Usable

1st Place: Metro by Ethan Li winner of $1250 gift card

2nd Place: Agaeti by blessedguy winner of $750 gift card

The best Skin Design

Winner: ? winner of $500 gift card

:P

RE: RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by LuckyMe on 05-17-2011 at 04:17 PM

quote:
My Prediction:

Most Stylish

Most Usable

The best Skin Design

I concur! :P

just wondering, was there any design submitted? would be nice to see some good ones, anyway congrats to all skin developers & good luck.
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by Nagamasa on 05-17-2011 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LuckyMe
quote:
My Prediction:

Most Stylish

Most Usable

The best Skin Design

I concur! :P

just wondering, was there any design submitted? would be nice to see some good ones, anyway congrats to all skin developers & good luck.
I concur as well. :D The skinning community decided for itself =)
RE: The skinning contest starts... now! by blessedguy on 05-17-2011 at 06:10 PM

my bets are:

Most Stylish:

• 1st: Stealth
  • 2nd: Metro

Most usable:
  • 1st: Agaeti
  • 2nd: Hide and Peek

I think Stealth basically just can't not win, it's great whatever way you look at it :P

Metro seems to be more about "porting" the Metro look and feel, and thus falling into the Stylish category. If it does fall under Usable, first place :P [and in that case, my bets would also be a second place in stylish for Blue Grass].

Agaeti has a good bunch of options, but a messy options panel, so I'm just hoping to get a first place (A)

Hide and Peek goes all the way into making Messenger simpler, foaly did a great job there.

Good luck for us all :banana:
[and curious to see what the mistery prize is :P]