Shoutbox

Directory Cannot be Created. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Directory Cannot be Created. (/showthread.php?tid=97265)

Directory Cannot be Created. by LastSoundtrack on 03-31-2011 at 06:54 AM

I'm unable to install any skins and scripts with the new plus.
Every time I try, I get an error message saying that the directory cannot be created.
I couldn't find an answer...
So, what exactly am I supposed to do here?

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by FireFaery09 on 03-31-2011 at 08:24 PM

I'm having the same problem. I was downloading skins fine a few days ago and now it keeps popping up with an error message. ): I don't know what to do.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by LastSoundtrack on 03-31-2011 at 10:07 PM

I ended up uninstalling the messenger plus however I will keep an eye on my post here and re-install once the issue has been resolved. (:

Thanks in advanced to anyone who helps.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by matty on 03-31-2011 at 10:35 PM

Are you an Administrator on the computer?

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by FireFaery09 on 03-31-2011 at 11:33 PM

I fixed mine! Instead of uninstalling it, you're given the optionto repair it, just check ONLY the box that says Remove Messenger skin customizations. I did and now I can download skins again. (: Hope it helps.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by Mydarisis on 04-21-2011 at 02:50 AM

Hey all of you, I was going through the same problem today and I even tried FireFaery09's suggestion but nothing was working.
However I did find a way to get it working and I'll give it to you step by step so that no one has any disappointments.
I uninstalled Messenger Plus! and only Messenger Plus! then I went back to the Messenger Plus! website and redownloaded the Messenger Plus for my msn(I'm using msn 2009) Upon reinstalling the Messenger Plus! I am not able to import skins, scripts and more.

I hope this helps those of you who haven't been able to fix it, have a good day and DFTBA x3

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by matty on 04-21-2011 at 12:28 PM

You need to do the following:

Click Start > Computer > C Drive > Program Files  > Yuna Software > Messenger Plus!

Then right click on WLM-Scripts (do the exact same for the WLM-Skins folder) > Click Properties > Click the Security Tab > Click Advanced > Click Owner > Click Edit > Click Administrators and check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > Click Apply.

If the above doesn't work try the same however instead of Administrators try the Users group.

Lastly if it still doesn't work and you are the ONLY user on the computer you can take ownership with your user account (selecting your name).

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by Dantwz on 05-05-2011 at 04:38 PM

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and came here just to check for a solution to this problem. However, even after trying matty's solution I still could not get Messenger Plus to import the skins. After meddling around for a while in VISTA, I managed to find a solution, so just to share with everyone - in case matty's solution doesn't work for you, follow his instructions till

"Click the Security Tab", then Click on "Edit" (to change permissions) > Click "Users ([User name]\Users)" > Check the box under "Allow" for "Full control" and all the boxes should be automatically ticked. > Click "OK" and accept any additional permissions required etc and you should be on your way.

I guessed that this was due to Vista's excessive requirements for permission if access was not granted to the User, and turns out I was right.

Hope this help all you Vista users out there! :D Other OS users could TRY it of course - it might just help!

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by matty on 05-05-2011 at 04:42 PM

Reason I didn't go with User level permissions was in case of a Guest account. But you're right that will also work.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by Dantwz on 05-05-2011 at 04:43 PM

Ohh I see. But it didn't seem to work at all for me and that was actually my default setting... Perhaps you have to do both?

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by matty on 05-05-2011 at 04:49 PM

Well when you take control of an object that User or Group of users becomes the owner, so doing one then the other won't matter as you are replacing Ownership.

Think of it this way... I buy a Car and now I am the owner. I give the Car to You and your Souse. Ownership has now been replaced. Same thing for the files in Windows.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by Dantwz on 05-05-2011 at 05:11 PM

Ohhh ok I understand now. Wait so was it a typo in your instructions?
You said to "Click Administrators and check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > Click Apply"
That means the the Administrator is still the owner! I think you meant "click *users* and check the box etc etc" to make the user the owner?

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by matty on 05-05-2011 at 05:16 PM

No because if I am not mistaken the Users group may contain the Guests (now that I am typing it, it doesn't sound correct...). Regardless each user, unless a reason not to be, is a computer administrator. Therefore giving access to the Administrators group would be correct.

[edit]
After research it shows that, yes, the Guest account wouldn't be a part of the Users group but instead a part of the Guests group.
[/edit]

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by Dantwz on 05-05-2011 at 05:26 PM

Wait so your solution works for guest accounts as well? Sorry I'm not very familiar with this cos I'm usually the administrator/user

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by matty on 05-05-2011 at 05:35 PM

No my steps would only work for users who are a part of the Administrators Group.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by Dantwz on 05-05-2011 at 05:41 PM

"Reason I didn't go with User level permissions was in case of a Guest account"?
Haha ok never mind let's just take my solution to be a backup for those people out there who can't seem to get it to work with yours! You're probably a lot better than me at this so you should know best :)

RE: RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by renards89 on 05-22-2011 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
You need to do the following:

Click Start > Computer > C Drive > Program Files  > Yuna Software > Messenger Plus!

Then right click on WLM-Scripts (do the exact same for the WLM-Skins folder) > Click Properties > Click the Security Tab > Click Advanced > Click Owner > Click Edit > Click Administrators and check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > Click Apply.

If the above doesn't work try the same however instead of Administrators try the Users group.

What version messager i need for is work i did same thing you says i still same probleme
RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by matty on 05-22-2011 at 03:00 PM

This isn't Messenger version specific.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by idhan on 06-11-2011 at 01:25 PM

I tried everything you said, but it's still not working :/

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by fauxzombie on 06-13-2011 at 10:44 PM

I've tried all the solutions listed and I can't get them to work either.
I'm using Windows 7, MSN 2011, and I just installed Messenger Plus last night.

The error I get is:
Messnger Plus! 5
Error: the destination directory for the skin couldn't be created.

RE: Directory Cannot be Created. by mich999 on 06-15-2011 at 06:43 PM

Hi,

Please to download the latest setup package from http://www.msgplus.net/Downloads/MsgDetailDownload.

Let us know :)

Sabri B.
Project Leader
Kimahri Software Inc.