What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » all contacts gone

all contacts gone
Author: Message:
gsascha

O.P. all contacts gone
hey guys

i've got the following problem: i finally got my mobile msn working on my pda phone where all my contacts were added to my phone book. i deleted them (in my phone book, not in msn), and when i reconnected on my phone, all contacts where gone. first i thought, that this was a problem with my phone, but when i connected on my notebook, my contact list loaded and in one second all contacts were deleted. even on hotmail.com my contacts are gone.

my only hope is my computer, where i also have msn installed. i quickly aborted connection after booting, so there has to be a contact list somewhere on my pc. is there a possibility to get them without starting msn?

and: how shall i manage it on my phone? i don't understand why my contacts have to be added to my phone book! (not very clearly arranged!)

thanks!
03-25-2008 09:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: all contacts gone
Contact lists are stored on servers, not on your computer, unless you previously exported/backed up your contact list. IIRC if you delete contacts in your hotmail/windows live account, they will be deleted on your wlm account, but i could be wrong.

If im right, then i think the only way to get your contacts back is to re-add them manually. Maybe someone else has a better solution

ps. welcome to the forums
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
03-25-2008 09:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
gsascha

O.P. RE: all contacts gone
when i started msn on my notebook, i saw all old contacts before they were deleted (within seconds). so there has to be a temporary contact list stored anywhere on my local hard disk. but where? maybe its not possible to import them, but at least i want to find out the email addys!
03-25-2008 09:43 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
If your contacts are truly gone from the server, there may be an easier way to add back at least most of your contacts.

If you do not already have Messenger Plus! Live, go download and install it. Next, go to the Plus menu and select "Contact List Cleanup" and a window will open. At the bottom, there is a radio button labelled "Show contacts who have you". Check this.

What you have now, is a list of all your contacts who have you added to their list. To quickly select all contacts in the list, click the first contact, hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click the last contact. Then, you can click the "+Add to list" button at the top to add back all these contacts.

As I said, this will bring back most, if not all your contacts. If you had anyone on your list who did NOT have you on theirs, you'll have to add them manually still. But still, this method will be a big time saver.

Good luck!
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-25-2008 10:00 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
gsascha

O.P. RE: all contacts gone
thanks so much! you've saved my life :)
03-25-2008 10:51 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
As I said, this will bring back most, if not all your contacts. If you had anyone on your list who did NOT have you on theirs, you'll have to add them manually still.
Also you can add all other instant messaging contacts of yours from "Windows Live Messenger Options>Privacy". Here you will see two lists- Allow and Block lists. All other contacts who don't have you but you had them previously in your list will be in those lists because WLM automatically copies the addresses of contacts who you have to Allow list unless you block them, aka move to Block list. You can right click on them and click on "Add to contacts" to easily add them back to your contact list.
03-29-2008 12:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: