What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Outgoing connection on uninstall

Outgoing connection on uninstall
Author: Message:
malyaniolek

Hmmm Sleeping...

40 / Male / –
O.P. Outgoing connection on uninstall
Hello,
I've to say that i love messenger plus, i couldn't live without it^^

but there is some dark points....

firt, the outgoing connection on port 80 when uninstalling Plus...

Patchou said :
quote:
Probably that C2Media is trying to contact its own server to get the necessary files to do an uninstallation (that's only a guess but that's the most logical explanation). If you block a software (any software) from doing what it's supposed to do, then you can't complain if the result is not what you expected .

As for anti-viruses that detect the sponsor's setup as a trojan, they are just crappy programs in hope to justify their existence. It looks good to say "I detect more viruses than the other". This is pure and unjustified diffamation which is another proof everybody should use a professional anti-virus solution.

but he did the program and the install package... so if he doesn't know what it is.... there is a problem.  No relations between host and program so .... maybe some more explanation would be great...

Then, in previous version of Plus  there were a Hook that altered program that access to Internet like IE, outlook, and even Diablo2... So why ?
How many hidden things is still in this excellent soft ?
i hope patchou has some clean answers...

PS : sorry for my poor english, i'm french ^^

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 10:43 PM by malyaniolek.
01-10-2005 10:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Outgoing connection on uninstall
quote:
Originally posted by malyaniolek
but he did the program and the install package... so if he doesn't know what it is.... there is a problem.  No relations between host and program so .... maybe some more explanation would be great...
Patchou did not program the install/uninstall program of the sponsor. Second, the sponsor can not do whatever he wants as there is a strict contract between Patchou and the sponsor of what the sponsor may do (eg: not including adult popup ads, etc...).

quote:
Then, in previous version of Plus  there were a Hook that altered program that access to Internet like IE, outlook, and even Diablo2...
There was never a hook in Messenger Plus! itself that alters access to internet and there never will!!! Even in the optional sponsor program (which is a totaly seperate program) there is no hook that prevents internet access. I dunno where you get this, but this isn't true though.

quote:
How many hidden things is still in this excellent soft ?
There is nothing hidden in Messenger Plus! at all.

And the seperate and optional sponsorprogram (if you choosed to install it) does nothing more then showing ads, adding a searchbar in MSIE and adding some ad links to your desktop and favorites.

I suggest to read: http://www.msgplus.net/getthefacts.php

---

If you accidently installed the optional sponsor program, then you can easly remove it by following the instructions given on these pages:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
http://udcx.com/sponsor

;)

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 11:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-10-2005 10:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Messenger Plus! uses a global hook system to work. This means that its DLL is loaded by Windows in every process that creates a window. It has always done this and it will always do as this is fundamental to the way itworks. Many other software use the same technique btw. I never changes this system, the only thing Ididchange in the last version was to create a new separate DLL for thesystem hook so that people who monitor this kind of thing can see that Plus! itself (MsgPlusH) is never loaded anywhere else but in Messenger.

As for the outgoing connection made during uninstall, C2Media probably does it to record unisntallations (after all, that's an adware, they got to keep track of how many users have their stuff installed) and the latest versions of Plus! also make a connection to the statistic server if it is enabled in your options (it is by default). The stats just contain a couple of data that helps me improve the software, more information about that can be found on msgplus.net.

Hope it helps :)
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
01-10-2005 11:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
malyaniolek

Hmmm Sleeping...

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Outgoing connection on uninstall
WOW Great, thx for this fast answer !! :)
I never installed that sponsor/spyware anyway ;)

Things get clearer:)
i just wanted some explanations, i wasn't blaming you, i hope you understood that:), as i said, i really love this soft:)

Thanks a lot:D and long life for messenger Plus :)
Computers are like air-conditionners, they stop working properly when you open Windows ....
01-11-2005 12:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
No misunderstandings here, I'm happy to have solved the "misteries" for you :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
01-11-2005 01:19 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: