What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Ads Ads Ads... no more

Ads Ads Ads... no more
Author: Message:
Unknown...

O.P. Ads Ads Ads... no more
Hi everyone,

I don't post here often but whenever I do I'm always given good advice :)
I just upgraded from MSN Messenger 6.2 to MSN Messenger 7 (I know I'm a little slow, but been really busy lately) and am NOT IMPRESSED in the slightest.

Ads Ads Ads.  No, I didn't install this program so that advertisements / Microsoft junk could fill every last corner of the programs' real estate.  Below I'm going to list all the stuff I'm not happy with, along with how unhappy it makes me. If anyone knows anyways to remove / hide it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

PS. Thanks for taking a look - from the tone of my writing you can probably tell I wrote this a few hours after I upgraded.  I held back before posting it to make sure I didn't post in the heat of the moment, but reading over it again I feel I'm being more than fair with my comments.

Contact List

1. 'My Space' button (low annoyance)
No, I don't want to continuously see an ad for getting an MSN space. If I want one (hell no), I'll look into getting one myself.

2. 'MSN Today' button (low annoyance)
There's a reason I disabled this from loading on start-up.  I don't EVER want to see it.  EVER.

3. 'Search the web' (medium annoyance)
I like the idea of this feature, but why should I be forced to use Microsoft's search engine? Last time I checked I can FULLY CUSTOMISE this feature with Mozilla Firefox to use whatever search I desire. It really annoys me that Microsoft sees fit to now tell us what search engine we should be searching with.

4. Banner add at bottom (medium annoyance)
I get enough ads on the Internet - honestly, do they think I'm going to click on that junk? Isn't Microsoft making enough money?  I see no reason why they NEED to put an ad there, therefore I see no reason why I should tolerate it.

Chat Window

5. Buying stuff (low annoyance)
I will never spend a cent on MSN Messenger related content. Why? Because in my opinion it's not worth it.  I don't need fancy emoticons, backgrounds, winks or combined 'packs'.  All I need is to be able to see when people are online, and send them messages.  Up until 6.2 I felt MSN Messenger did this quite well (and fairly stable too), satisfying all my needs.

6. 'Search' button (low annoyance)
I suppose this data is formatted to return a few responses, although again I disagree with it being based solely upon Microsoft's search engine technology (see point 3. ).

7. Hyperlink Ads at the bottom of the window (HIGH annoyance)
This is totally unacceptable / intolerable. Where all the other areas are (for the most part) hidden away, this is CONSTANTLY visible within the windows where you will be spending 90% of your time.  This one is of paramount importance to me.  Either it goes, or I go.

Thanks for reading through all that.  Again if anyone thinks they can help me please do.  Either some of this junk goes, or I go, which is a shame as I've been using MSN for a while and up until this version have been happy with it's features and development.

06-16-2005 03:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Ads Ads Ads... no more - by Unknown... on 06-16-2005 at 03:02 PM
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more - by Tochjo on 06-16-2005 at 03:05 PM
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more - by absorbation on 06-16-2005 at 03:06 PM
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more - by Anubis on 06-16-2005 at 03:09 PM
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more - by RaceProUK on 06-16-2005 at 09:09 PM
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more - by Unknown... on 06-18-2005 at 11:45 AM
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more - by CookieRevised on 06-18-2005 at 11:52 AM
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more - by absorbation on 06-18-2005 at 11:53 AM