What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Major archived event log bug??

Major archived event log bug??
Author: Message:
Rummy

O.P. Major archived event log bug??
Today I was searching through my logs with the windows search function for text containing, because I was trying to find a conversation with someone. I was actually searching for runescape, and for some reason 3 events log files came up. I was curious, because I can't ever recall having runescape in my name, and definitely not spanning over 3 individual event logs. So, I opened one of them, but notepad was blank, it seemed to have stopped responding. So I end tasked it, and carried on with my searching. I found another event log when searching for something else, and opened it again, notepad seemed to have stopped responding, but this time I didnt end it because I thought it might have just been a really big file and taking its time to load. I was right, so when it finally loaded all the text it looked like a regular event log file. I then searched within this for 'runescape' and when it found it I was absolutely shocked. It had html source code halfway through the log file! I've been looking through other ones, and theres streams of the stuff, like whole page source codes everywhere from sites I've been on! It was actualy source code from a runescape fan site, and I also saw some from what I think was a (dont laugh) Hollyoaks website too. This is quite shocking, and actually makes me wonder why its been happening, a major security/privacy issue in my eyes, and I would rather like an explanation of why it has happened from patchou. Looking either side of these 'source code' blocks, it tends to have a last event of 'you signed out' and then returns to regular event logging again with a you signed in' event. On top of this, there are also massive blocks of what looks like gibberish, and makes me wonder what else this thing is logging! I want an explanation please, because this is not what I agreed to when i installed plus, and I refer it to pretty much everyone I talk to. I suggest anyone else out there do a windows search for 'events' and check through all the Events log text files that appear.

edit:I know this should probably go into the bugs forum, but it is also a question of as to why this happens. For anyone that does try it, if notepad seems to have stopped responding, just give it a bit of time. Other than this problem, I think plus! is great, and I love it very much and am grateful to Patchou for it, but this makes me very wary of it.

edit edit:Upon looking further, I have also found what appears to be a 'log' of the options displayed in my computers start menu and also an instance of it occuring without being preceded with a 'you signed out' event.
Even a response from anyone else if they've found this too would be nice.

This post was edited on 01-15-2006 at 02:59 PM by Rummy.
01-15-2006 02:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Major archived event log bug?? - by Rummy on 01-15-2006 at 02:51 PM
RE: Major archived event log bug?? - by CookieRevised on 01-15-2006 at 03:25 PM
RE: Major archived event log bug?? - by Rummy on 01-15-2006 at 03:40 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: