What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Request: File Sharing.

Request: File Sharing.
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Request: File Sharing.
Hi,

quote:
Originally posted by Meksilon
I am installed on FAT32, and there is a valid reason for this. FAT32 is FASTER, I refuse to install the system partition onto NTFS.
If "faster" is your only reason, it is not a very valid one.  You might be able to obtain some benchmark results to support that claim on a machine with insufficient memory and a volume that contains relatively small numbers (per directory) of relatively large files, but for general use, this once common myth is simply not true.

FAT32 for the system volume is a horrible idea, both for security and reliability reasons.  The only acceptable excuse would be some ancient software you absolutely must keep, that will not work with NTFS.  In all other situations, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Now that I am through with that rant, let's see what can be done here.

The blog entry linked by Jesus reveals the reason why Sharing Folders feature won't work with FAT32 system volume:  it apparently uses a sparse file of substantial size (8GB).  FAT32 does not support sparse files, nor does it support files that large. 

The good news is this file is created under your Windows user profile.  While that usually is on the system volume, it doesn't have to be.  If you were to move your profile to one of your NTFS volumes, Shared Folders would probably be happy.  The bad news is that moving your user profile is tricky.  If you wish to try it, start by reading these two articles (1, 2).  Note that while the second article uses the example of a profile being renamed, the process is the same.

Good luck.  I would appreciate hearing about your results if you test this.

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Meksilon
My configuration is: C:\WINXP\Users\Daniel\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger
This is probably because your default profile location was modified using the unattended setup method mentioned in the first article I linked you to.  It doesn't change anything.

The reason the Messenger folder doesn't look right is because you are looking in the wrong place:  you left out "Local Settings" from the path.  Try  "C:\WINXP\Users\Daniel\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger".

This post was edited on 10-25-2006 at 05:13 PM by Adeptus.
10-25-2006 04:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Request: File Sharing. - by Meksilon on 10-25-2006 at 02:53 PM
RE: Request: File Sharing. - by ins4ne on 10-25-2006 at 03:03 PM
RE: RE: Request: File Sharing. - by Meksilon on 10-25-2006 at 03:16 PM
RE: Request: File Sharing. - by ins4ne on 10-25-2006 at 03:29 PM
RE: RE: Request: File Sharing. - by Meksilon on 10-25-2006 at 03:39 PM
RE: Request: File Sharing. - by ins4ne on 10-25-2006 at 03:46 PM
RE: Request: File Sharing. - by Jesus on 10-25-2006 at 03:51 PM
RE: Request: File Sharing. - by absorbation on 10-25-2006 at 04:03 PM