What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Help! Restore Bootloader

Help! Restore Bootloader
Author: Message:
rob_botch

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Help! Restore Bootloader
Hi

I have a really bad problem with m computer. I attempted to install ubuntu as a dual boot with XP, however, the installer failed. Whenever I turn on the computer, I get a GRUB error 17 and neither OS will start. I can use the ubuntu Live CD (this is how I'm typing this), and I can see all of my Windows files on the hard drive.

My plea for help is this: from ubuntu Live CD, how can I either repair GRUB to allow me to use Windows, or (preferable) restore the normal Windows XP bootloader?

I don't have Windows XP CD, because my computer came with a recovery partition. I really don't want to reinstall Windows if possible, because this is a shared computer.

Any help would be warmly appreciated!!

EDIT: I have now used Supergrub to boot into Windows. From here is it easier to restore the Windows bootloader? Would formatting the linux partitions help at all, as I now have no desire to use Linux? Attached is a screenshot from Partition Manager to help me explain.

To explain, the C drive is my windows drive. The Green thing at the end is a restore partition that was on the computer when I got it. The orange parts are detritis from several failed Linux installations (ouch!). My Computer also displays an F drive, with 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free?!

Thanks

Robert

.png File Attachment: PM.png (41.35 KB)
This file has been downloaded 116 time(s).

This post was edited on 09-03-2007 at 10:10 AM by rob_botch.
09-03-2007 09:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Help! Restore Bootloader - by rob_botch on 09-03-2007 at 09:18 AM
RE: Help! Restore Bootloader - by Verte on 09-03-2007 at 10:43 AM
RE: Help! Restore Bootloader - by Jarrod on 09-04-2007 at 12:23 PM
Solution: Restore Bootloader - by rob_botch on 09-04-2007 at 06:11 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites