What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Event Viewer Window

Event Viewer Window
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Event Viewer Window
quote:
Originally posted by bimmerdriver
When I minimize WLM and the Event Viewing window is open, the WLM window minimizes, but the Event Viewing window doesn't minimize,
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You can hide the event viewer by closing the main Messenger window.
Closing is not the same as minimizing.
Closing is pressing the X in the right upper corner.
^^ just in case you might have misread my post. Otherwise, ignore this :p

-----

quote:
Originally posted by bimmerdriver
...but if I open any application, the Event Viewing window opens, even though the WLM window doesn't open. That sounds like a bug.
It's not a bug. This is how "Show Desktop" behaves.

To state it simply:
"Show Desktop" is not simply minimizing all windows, although it looks that way. Pressing the shortcut <WinKey><M> will actually minimize all windows which can be minimized. When you press that shortcut you'll see the difference...

In a more technical correct way: when you show the desktop by pressing the "Show Desktop" icon or by pressing <WinKey><D>, it actually brings the desktop window (yes, the desktop is a window too, like any other window) on top of the z-stack order. Thus every other window is obscured by the desktop window.

When you restore the desktop (completely by pressing the desktop icon again or by pressing the shortcut <WinKey><D>, or partially by opening any program or window), the desktop window is not on top of the z-stack order anymore, but it is put again on the bottom, thus behind all other windows. Hence why you see the event viewer window again, it was never minimized, it was just hidden behind the dekstop window.

PS: also see CookieRevised's reply to Messenger Plus! 3.20

quote:
However, I have patched WLM using MessPatch. Could that have caused a problem?
Depends on what you exactly patched. But normally, no, this wont have any influence on that behaviour of "Show Desktop" because, again, this is how Windows itself behaves, this has little to nothing todo with Plus! and/or Messenger.

Note: I'm not saying there can not be some improvement in how the event viewer is shown though. But many people have requested many kind of behaviours for the event window. In fact, many suggestions regarding this go against other suggestions regarding this. But the current implementation has got everything todo with the fact that the event viewer is a child toolwindow and also with how "Show Desktop" behaves and handles such windows.

;)

This post was edited on 01-01-2008 at 03:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-01-2008 03:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Event Viewer Window - by bimmerdriver on 12-31-2007 at 06:28 PM
RE: Event Viewer Window - by CookieRevised on 01-01-2008 at 02:18 AM
RE: Event Viewer Window - by bimmerdriver on 01-01-2008 at 03:20 AM
RE: Event Viewer Window - by CookieRevised on 01-01-2008 at 03:26 AM
RE: Event Viewer Window - by bimmerdriver on 01-01-2008 at 05:27 AM
RE: Event Viewer Window - by CookieRevised on 01-01-2008 at 11:43 AM
RE: Event Viewer Window - by ahmetgns on 01-01-2008 at 09:54 PM