What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Compatibility

Compatibility
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

40 / Male / Flag
RE: Compatibility
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Plus! uses the <Compatibility> tags to gray out the skins that don't work with a certain version of Messenger, correct?
Yes (and disable apply skin in the import window).

quote:
a skin must have at least 1 Messenger version under the <Compatibility> tag?
Technically it isn't required, when you leave out <Compatibility> completely Plus! will assume it's compatible with any Messenger version.

quote:
It could give a user who isn't paying much attention to the skin compatibility mentioned in the skins database some trouble
True. When checking skins submitted to the db i try to always check if the <Compatibility> tag is used, if it isn't i ask the creator to add it.

quote:
Perhaps this thread could be avoided if Compatibility tag was mandated.
Doubt it. As far as i know all skins in the DB already use the <Compatibility> tag. The problem is that Plus! isn't clear enough IMHO. When a skin is incompatible users can still import it, just the option to apply the skin directly is disabled and in the preferences the skin name is grayed out. You can still apply the skin if you wish, mainly for skin creators testing purposes.
When users see the skin import window and press ok they assume the skin was imported successfully, and when they look in the preferences it isn't clear why the text is grayed out. A nice incompatible warning which shows which Messenger version the user is currently using, which Messenger version(s) the skin is compatible with and a link to the official Messenger download site may be a good improvement.

EDIT: If a incompatible warning is added, link it to microsoft.com/downloads instead of the live.com site. Live.com fails to show version numbers, microsoft.com shows 8.5 as "Version 2008" but at least that's something.

This post was edited on 01-09-2008 at 10:45 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-09-2008 09:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Compatibility - by Nagamasa on 01-09-2008 at 09:13 PM
RE: Compatibility - by warmth on 01-09-2008 at 09:21 PM
RE: Compatibility - by Menthix on 01-09-2008 at 09:31 PM
RE: Compatibility - by Nagamasa on 01-09-2008 at 09:42 PM
WLM 8.1??? - by dexter1992 on 01-11-2008 at 10:47 AM
RE: Compatibility - by Menthix on 01-11-2008 at 12:13 PM