What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Installing Linux in free space

Installing Linux in free space
Author: Message:
rob_botch

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Installing Linux in free space
Firstly let me explain my hard drive. It has 4 partitions, all set up when I bought my laptop. One contains Windows, another (DATA) contains Documents, Videos etc., one has Acer InstantOn Arcade and the 4th is called PQSERVICE and I don't know what it does!

I used gParted to resize the DATA partition from 140GB to 120GB, to free up 20GB for Linux. (Incidentally, this took ages, much longer than when I used a Windows program, I think PartitionMagic, on my old computer - are there any other free tools that anyone can recommend?).

Booting the Fedora install DVD worked fine until it came to the point of partitioning. Ths option of "use free space" returned an error saying that there wasn't enough free space. Manually trying to allocate space showed the 4 partitions outlined earlier plus one ~20GB area and a 6MB area, both labelled "free space". Trying to create any partitions in the larger of these returned the same error message. t this point I gave up on Fedora and tried Ubuntu, which I have installed on other computers numerous times.

On Ubuntu, the partitioning stage was a bit different. The "free space" was labeled "unusable"!

Does anyone know what I have done wrong , or how to solve it? I'm guessing it's a problem with how I used gParted, but everything I did seemed to make sense!

Any help would be hugely appreciated - I dn't want to be stuck with just one OS!

Robert
07-20-2008 10:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Installing Linux in free space - by rob_botch on 07-20-2008 at 10:18 AM
RE: Installing Linux in free space - by andrewdodd13 on 07-20-2008 at 11:53 AM
RE: Installing Linux in free space - by rob_botch on 07-21-2008 at 07:14 AM
RE: RE: Installing Linux in free space - by andrewdodd13 on 07-21-2008 at 12:16 PM
RE: Installing Linux in free space - by MeEtc on 07-21-2008 at 02:23 PM
RE: RE: Installing Linux in free space - by andrewdodd13 on 07-21-2008 at 04:23 PM
RE: Installing Linux in free space - by Voldemort on 07-21-2008 at 06:30 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: