What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Can't open decrypted log file - very important

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Can't open decrypted log file - very important
Author: Message:
Informator

O.P. RE: RE: Can't open decrypted log file - very important
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Nothing hidden about how Plus! opens an encrypted log though:

Sure, I never thought that MsgPlus hid anything. Just when I googled for that error it mostly came up with pseudo-hacking tutorials on things involving hidden streams.

You mentioned that it will decrypt the log then open notepad (or whatever you've configured it to open with). I couldn't find an option to change the default text editor. Even when I associated .txt files to another program, it still opened Notepad. If you could tell me how to use another program to view logs, then that would be very helpful in my investigation.

This post was edited on 12-13-2005 at 03:27 PM by Informator.
12-13-2005 03:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Can't open decrypted log file - very important
quote:
Originally posted by Informator
(or whatever you've configured it to open with). I couldn't find an option to change the default text editor. Even when I associated .txt files to another program, it still opened Notepad. If you could tell me how to use another program to view logs, then that would be very helpful in my investigation.
see http://www.msgplus.net/help_registry.php and the LogViewerProgram registry setting. If you're not familiar with the registry, you can also use Choli's Plus! Tweaker which you can find on that same page.

PS: If you set it to another text editor/viewer, make sure that the text editor/viewer supports unicode textfiles for total compatibility. Otherwise you end it up seeing the same as what happened here.

1) But before attempting this, try what I suggested in my previous post.
2) If that didn't work then do it again, but this time, when the (empty) notepad is opened and before you close the message box with that error, navigate to your temporary windows directory and look if there is a file with a name like "blah@blah.com {decrypted}.txt". If so open it yourself by double clicking on it.

------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Informator
Even when I associated .txt files to another program, it still opened Notepad.
This should not happen! Plus! always uses the associated program for opening textfiles. So either you didn't associated textfiles (extension TXT) properly to notepad, iether there is something seriously wrong within the registry, or either there is another program running in the background preventing all sorts of stuff from running properly.

This post was edited on 12-13-2005 at 04:08 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-13-2005 03:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Informator

O.P. RE: Can't open decrypted log file - very important
Right! I have further news.

1) Shutting down ZoneAlarm, virus scanners, etc made no difference. Notepad still opened up with the error. Uninstalling and reinstalling MsgPlus similarly made no difference.

2) Changing the LogViewerProgram entry to something like "wordpad "%s"" meant that the logs reverted to "Can't open the decrypted file!" error.

3) But some success! After following your advice Cookie, I had a look in my Temp folder. There was indeed a "blah@blah.com {decrypted].txt" file in there, which opened with no problems at all. When I OK'd the error in the original Notepad window, the file was then removed.

So, the logs are there and are accessible. :banana: But at the moment, I can't seem to find a way for them to open in Notepad first time, or why the error is occurring. My system event viewer doesn't show any Notepad errors in it. So if we can work out this last part of the conundrum, my life will be complete :)
12-13-2005 04:14 PM
yuka

RE: Can't open decrypted log file - very important
I followed the thread and disable OSFirewall. After disabling OSFirewall, the problem for me was solved. :D:D

Informator might have some problem with his Notepad application.

Thanks Informator

-Yuka

12-13-2005 10:44 PM
Informator

O.P. RE: RE: Can't open decrypted log file - very important
quote:
Originally posted by yuka
I followed the thread and disable OSFirewall. After disabling OSFirewall, the problem for me was solved. :D:D

Informator might have some problem with his Notepad application.

Thanks Informator

-Yuka

No problem Yuka, just glad I can help some other people out too(H)
12-14-2005 02:02 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: