What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » moving msn emoticons etc to new windows install

moving msn emoticons etc to new windows install
Author: Message:
ewokuk

O.P. moving msn emoticons etc to new windows install
Ive backed up my entire docs and settings folder from the old windows install, which contains all my msn messenger files.  Ive copied the application data\microsoft\msn messenger folder over into my new profile folder and even though msn IS using this folder, it is ignoring all the icons etc that are in the folders.

What the hell do I need to do for it to recognise and use all these files again.  Basically I need to know what setting it is and where it is stored (had a quick look in the registry but cant see anything).

(yes i know i can convert those files to images and re-add them but im not going to do that, i want them back exactly how they were in the same order and with the same shortcut keys for them)

there MUST be some settings stored somewhere that record this data, i can get them from an old ghost backup if needed.

thanks
09-01-2004 11:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: moving msn emoticons etc to new windows install
Those settings aren't in the registry, it is in an encrypted file in the same directory were your emoticons and all are...

The problem is that this encryption of that file depends on your account. Changing your account means that msn messenger can't read that file again...

The file is called map.dat... it must be recreated, and the only safe way to do that is to add all your emoticons, DP's, backgrounds again, just like you said: rename them to .png and add them again...

The shortcuts are also stored in that encrypted file... So you can't save them either...

Now, there is a program somewhere (www.mess.be ?) that can "backup" all these things and readd them again. You could use it, but in fact, it also adds the files like you will add them. But it also doesn't "backup" the shortcuts, so that's no solution either...

Why nobody made a decent working backup/re-adder? Because some people can decrypt map.dat, but as far as I know (from reading various forums), nobody has succesfully encrypted map.dat again; MSN Messenger always refuses to work when they try...
(^^ info from msnfanatic)

So, in short, or use the backup program I mentioned (which I don't know the link for, sorry) or add them manualy. But either way, the shortcuts are lost...

EDIT: I believe I found the "backup" program: http://www.sherv.net/article78.html
But also a small warning: Many programs (all, except very old ones) from sherv.net have not-optional, bundled adware in the form of 180solutions adware/searchbar/whatever... So be warned...

This post was edited on 09-02-2004 at 12:57 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-02-2004 12:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ewok

Well I could understand that if I was using a different msn account because maybe that file points specifically at the account number which is used in the folder name, but I am using the same msn account, all I've done is reinstall windows.

now I think Ive moved them before without any trouble as long as it is still the same msn login, for some reason it seems to be ignoring it this time.
09-02-2004 08:41 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I meant windows account, sorry...
It must be the same msn account, but most importantly also the same Windows account (username)

http://www.msnfanatic.com/forums/index.php?showto...0&st=0&#entry53056
http://www.msnfanatic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8676

This post was edited on 09-02-2004 at 11:37 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-02-2004 11:16 AM
ewok

I thought that might be the case after it didnt work.

So in theory if i was to create a new windows account with the same name as the old one, then just copy over the msn files from my old docs and settings backup, it should then work right?

I did have a quick go at doing that last night but it didnt work, didnt have long to fiddle with it though so ill try it again later.

all caused by microsoft being rediculously thick as usual.  Add these features then stop people being able to use them properly when they cant transfer their settings.

This post was edited on 09-02-2004 at 12:23 PM by ewok.
09-02-2004 12:22 PM
Kinny

Does work correctly this program http://www.sherv.net/article78.html?
04-12-2005 11:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: