What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How do I DECRYPT my log files?

How do I DECRYPT my log files?
Author: Message:
web_matt

– / Male / –
O.P. How do I DECRYPT my log files?
I've gone into preferences and unchecked the password box...then I press apply, and all it says is "Some of the changes will only be applied when chat windows are closed and reopened"...it doesn't ask anything about decrypting all my old archived log files like it is apperently supposed to (or so I've read here.)
Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Is there an easy way to decrypt all of this?  I'm reformatting my computer so I need to move everything to a different drive, and it won't let me open it as soon as I copy it to the other drive...it just says "the file does not exist"!
I've shut down and restarted and everything, after I uncheck "Encrypt all my logs", when I restart, it says "A password is currently recorded" again, with no option to get rid of it...
10-25-2004 11:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
pjlewis

RE: How do I DECRYPT my log files?
The way I found of doing this was as follows.

1) Sign into MSN, nd set your status to "Appear offline"
2) Go to Messenger Plus Preference, and change your logging path to one of the archived folders that you want to decrypt, and apply
3) Go to Privacy options, then Passwords, and select the checkbox "Encrypt all my logs..." and set a password. Apply
4) Untick this checkbox, and click yes when Plus asks you if you want to decrypt all current logs.
5) Set your log directory to another folder, and repeat.

It's long-winded, but it doesn't actually take that long per folder, although if you're like me and have over two year's worth of logs, it can take a while!

The reason for setting your status to Appear Offline is so that no-one can talk to you, and therefore not screw up old logs by trying to append new chats to them...

Hope this helps...
03-15-2005 03:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: