What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » No MsgPlus

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
No MsgPlus
Author: Message:
jhopper28

O.P. No MsgPlus
Suddenly today after a computer restart, my Windows Live Messenger has no Plus options. I've uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. I'm running the latest versions of both Messenger and Plus. There's simply no sign that Plus is running--no menu/UI items, no desktop contacts, no mail notification, no chat logs, etc. I get no failure or error messages, and the "C:\MsgPlusDebug\MsgPlusLive Trace.txt" has no entries from the time the problem started. Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?
08-30-2006 03:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: No MsgPlus
Uninstall both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live. Then delete the folders (C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\ and C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\). Then download a new copy of Messenger from here and a new copy of Plus! Live from here. Install both. See if you get any result.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
08-30-2006 03:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jhopper28

O.P. RE: No MsgPlus
I just noticed the same thing has happened on another machine on my home network. Is there something that needs to be unblocked on my firewall or something? Messenger itself has no problems--I can send and receive IM's just fine.
08-30-2006 03:40 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
What firewall and antivirus do you have?
Make sure Messenger Plus! Live is unblocked.
08-30-2006 04:57 PM
jhopper28

I'm using Windows Firewall (XP Pro SP2) and CA eTrust AntiVirus 7.1.192. What .exe file should be unblocked for Plus Live? There doesn't seem to be an executable like there was for previous versions of Plus.
08-30-2006 05:06 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Well Messenger Plus! Live is actually intergrated into WLM, so I think you just have to make sure WLM is unblocked, which it is because your using it. So I can't see there being a problem with your firewall or anti-virus.

Did you try what I said above? That fixes most minor problems.

Also, try this..

quote:
Originally posted by ChronoNewb
POSSIBLE SOLUTION

1. Exit messenger.

2. Go to C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger and delete "riched20.dll" if its there ;).

3. Restart Messenger.

If this works then-
  • Go to Add/Remove Programs.
  • Remove Web Search (Smile Central)

This post was edited on 08-30-2006 at 05:21 PM by Chris4.
08-30-2006 05:10 PM
jhopper28

I uninstalled both, reinstalled both (no folders were there to delete) and still have no Plus Live features. I do not have riched20.dll or Web Search (Smile Central). Any other ideas?
08-30-2006 07:18 PM
jhopper28

FYI, when I try to add the Message Plus add-in to Windows Live Messenger manually (Tools|Options|Add-ins), I get the following error message:

The add-in "MsgPlusLive.dll" could not be turned on.  80131018
08-31-2006 03:25 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jhopper28
...and the "C:\MsgPlusDebug\MsgPlusLive Trace.txt" has no entries from the time the problem started.
That doesn't work on the final Plus!Live version anymore...the only way you could have gotten that folder is because you installed a beta version (wich as non betatester you shouldn't have/use) earlier on. Have you downloaded the new Plus!Live from http://www.msgpluslive.net yet? If not then i advice you to do so and see if you get the same problem with that one.

Plus!Live requires to be installed on an account with admin priviledges. You also need to make sure nothing is preventing writing to the registry (AdWatch is an example of one of these programs, some AV programs do the same).

This post was edited on 08-31-2006 at 04:15 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
08-31-2006 04:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
jhopper28

No, I'm not using the beta--I was already using the release version, but I uninstalled yesterday and downloaded and installed the latest version to make doubly sure I had the latest.

I am an administrator on my machine and nothing is preventing registry writing. What gets written to the registry that I could check for?
08-31-2006 04:44 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: