What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Live inherited problems of previous version!

MSN Live inherited problems of previous version!
Author: Message:
Machine_Eyes

– / Male / –
O.P. MSN Live inherited problems of previous version!
OK basically, I've come here seeking help with my MSN messenger.

I run Windows XP on a Simply Computers laptop.

All my problems started when I clicked on the "Sign In" button on my MSN. It started signing in for maybe about a second, and then an error message popped up telling me it would have to be closed. About this time my laptop began randomly restarting. I eventually figured out that it only restarted when I was online. Checking the event viewer didn't show anything, so I took other action to find the problem. When I turned off the "automatic restart on system failure" option, and went online to encourage the system to crash again, I was given the error details on the bluescreen, which told me that it was a problem with a driver. (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

Upon looking up the driver I discovered that it was a Jetico firewall driver. I deleted it, and then uninstalled Jetico. This solved the system failures.

I then went back to MSN to see if it had corrected that problem aswell. Nope, it still took about one second of signing in before an error message popped up. This time, instead of clicking on "Don't Send", I clicked "Send Error Report". When the results of the report came back, it told me that there was no known cause for the problem, and that I should download the new MSN live, which should fix any problems. I retried a few times before finally deciding on downloading this new MSN live.

So I downloaded it, installed it, and tried it. It tried to sign in for about 2 seconds, and then it told me that the program had encountered a problem and had to close. I was given the option to send an error report, so I did. This time, instead of completing the error report, the error report window closed before it had finished, and it returned no results. It does this all the time now, it refuses to send an error report. Now I have no idea what is causing this - when I view the details of the error report, it tells me that it's an Access Vioation (code 0xc0000005), but I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to be able to read into the rest of it.

I've tried looking over the internet and all I can find is a similar problem, but caused by sony vaio audio software. My computer is virus, trojan, malware, adware, rootkit, and bot free.
10-11-2006 11:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: MSN Live inherited problems of previous version!
First of all, did you install Windows Live Messenger by directly updaying MSN Messenger 7.5? If so, then my advice to you is that you go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, uninstall Windows Live Messenger then go to C:\Program Files\ and delete the "MSN Messenger" folder, now re-boot your laptop and once it's started up, go to http://messenger.live.com/ and download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger, now install it.

Please note that you may need to reinstall Messenger Plus! Live again after doing this.
10-12-2006 06:47 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Live inherited problems of previous version!

Machine_Eyes,

note that Messenger Plus! (the addon) is not the same as Windows Live Messenger (the IM client). Messenger Plus! is not a replacement for MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger.

Messenger Plus! is an addon for MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger which means it adds some more features, you still use and chat with MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger.

Therefore, this thread has been posted in the wrong forum (as it has nothing todo with Messenger Plus!) and should have been posted in the forum: "MSN/Windows Messenger".

PS: thread already reported for moving to that subforum, so you don't need to repost your post either though.

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-12-2006 08:34 AM
Machine_Eyes

– / Male / –
O.P. Tongue  RE: RE: MSN Live inherited problems of previous version!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Machine_Eyes,

note that Messenger Plus! (the addon) is not the same as Windows Live Messenger (the IM client). Messenger Plus! is not a replacement for MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger.

Messenger Plus! is an addon for MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger which means it adds some more features, you still use and chat with MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger.

Therefore, this thread has been posted in the wrong forum (as it has nothing todo with Messenger Plus!) and should have been posted in the forum: "MSN/Windows Messenger".

PS: thread already reported for moving to that subforum, so you don't need to repost your post either though.

;)

God damn, how the hell did I manage to post a thread in the wrong forum? Wow, I always wondered how forum noobs make that mistake, I guess I just found out. :P

Anyways, before I got any responses back I figured one of the first suggestions would be to uninstall and then reinstall. So I've actually uninstalled MSN altogether. Pretty good guess as I see that was actually the first suggestion!

Just to be clear, what I downloaded was MSN Live Messenger, not messenger plus.

I'm going to restart my computer before I reinstall, so I'll come back once I'm done and let you all know how I got on.
10-12-2006 03:41 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: