What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Whats the difference Between Windows Messenger Or MSN Messenger?

Whats the difference Between Windows Messenger Or MSN Messenger?
Author: Message:
qt_4_lyfe

O.P. Huh?  Whats the difference Between Windows Messenger Or MSN Messenger?
Can someone tell me this bcuz i got no idea and am really confused!!

Thanks Lauren
07-09-2003 07:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: Whats the difference Between Windows Messenger Or MSN Messenger?
Windows messenger is going to be more for business
MSN Messenger is going to be for home/school use :-) there isn't really yet a difference between it now (altough MSN messenger 6 is different then WIndows messenger 5 (this is also different from msn messenger 5) but windows messenger is installed on XP, msn messenger not
07-09-2003 07:08 PM
qt_4_lyfe

O.P. RE: Whats the difference Between Windows Messenger Or MSN Messenger?
and... how come i have an old windows messenger and i cant uninstall it? it wont let it bcuz it doesnt show on the remove or add programs
07-09-2003 07:11 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
Are you using XP?
If you want to delete you'll have to go to your registry..
07-09-2003 11:19 PM
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
There is often confusion that surrounds Microsoft products that have similar names, such as Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger.

Here's a quick rundown of the key differences between the two programs:

* Windows Messenger is a Windows XP -- only product.

* By default, Windows Messenger is installed in Windows XP.

* MSN Messenger is for Windows 95/98/98SE, ME, 2000, and Macintosh -- not Windows XP.

* They both support instant messaging, voice calls, and files transfers, but Windows Messenger additionally supports video calls, application sharing, shared whiteboard, and Remote Assistance.

* Windows Messenger makes use of some technologies that are built into Windows XP, such as acoustic echo cancellation, reduced latency, and high bandwidth codecs.

* Both programs are interoperable so that users who have Windows Messenger can communicate with users who have MSN Messenger.
07-10-2003 12:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Taken from the newsgroup microsoft.public.msn.messenger
Topic: MSN Messanger vs Windows Messenger
quote:
"Darren Bull" <d.bull@virgin.net> wrote...
Hi
1. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these 2 products?
2. Are they fully compatible?
3. I was trying to communicate with a friend. I have the latest version of windows messenger and he has MSN messenger. He has a web cam but I don't. Is it possible for us to have chat on line using the keyboard and for me to be able to see him on his web cam although I do not have one?

Cheers

Greetings Darren,

1.  There are several differences, Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc.  Which one you use is up to you, and a matter of personal choice (and based upon your needs and likes), however one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).  MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile, etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server, Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

2.  They are with some exceptions.  The 'Start Camera' option in Windows Messenger can only be accepted by users running either Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger on Windows XP.  The 'Start Webcam' option in MSN Messenger 6 can be accepted by anyone using any Windows version, but requires MSN Messenger 6 to be the Messenger client being used on both sides.  The 'Start Video Conference' option in MSN Messenger 6 is compatible with both MSN Messenger 6 and Windows Messenger, but requires Windows XP to be the operating system on both sides.

3.  And yes, you do not need to have a Webcam to see him, you just need to follow the rules in the above paragraph.  If he's using Windows XP, and uses the Actions menu--'Start Video Conference' option, you will be able to accept it, otherwise you'll need to download MSN Messenger 6: http://messenger.msn.com/Download
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-09-2004 04:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: