What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » File Shareing Plugin (in development)

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
File Shareing Plugin (in development)
Author: Message:
Pleh

VB Programmer

38 / Male / –
O.P. File Shareing Plugin (in development)
The File Shareing Plugin (By Pleh)

I am currently working on a plugin that will allow users to automate the sharing of certain files in a folder specified on the users PC. This will allow MSN to function as a p2p program as well as the best chat program in the world.

Example 1 Requesting a File List

To download files from someone first you both need to have the plugin installed. Next you will request a file list from the other person to see what files they are shareing. This is done by using the command /xrlist this command tells the other persons plugin to reply with a list of the contents of the shared folder.

Example 2 Requesting a File

After you have recieved a file list you can choose to download any file from the list. To do this use the /xrfile <File Path> command for example if they are shareing C:\My Shared Folder and they have the file example.exe in it you would use

/xrfile C:\My Shared Folder\example.exe

This command tells the other persons plugin to reply by sending the file you requested. This works both ways (you can download from people and people can download from you, if you dont want people downloading from you just specify a folder that doesn't exist to share)

Bugs so far

As Mnjul mentioned in another thread there is a problem with the way plus's contact name works which prevents us from telling our plugins not to respond to themselves thus giving us an "echo" bug. If anyone knows a way around this please can you tell me.

Things in Development

*Edit* Added the ability to choose the shared folder (having some registry problems in VB6, Help appreciated)
*Edit* Added an /xfsoff and /xfson function set

And thats about it, if you like the idea of my plugin please feel free to post comments or if you have any ideas on how to fix the bugs or add better functionality please post also. Any and all feedback is appreciated :)

.zip File Attachment: Pleh File Sharing 1.0 Installer.zip (53.72 KB)
This file has been downloaded 308 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-09-2003 at 10:38 PM by Pleh.
11-09-2003 10:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Leif

81 / Male / –
RE: File Shareing Plugin (in development)
Sounds like a useful plug-in to me.
What would be the differences between your plug-in and the existing Share files command?
Advantages? (other than that the current command is limited to ten files) - Security? Easy of use?
Disadvantages? - Security? Easy of use?
11-09-2003 11:59 AM
Pleh

VB Programmer

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: File Shareing Plugin (in development)
I originally make this plugin so that i could download files from my home computer at work (i leave my PC on 24/7 with msn open) without having to use some relativly complicated remote programs or starting a ftp server. To do this i needed a plugin that would automatically send a file when sent a variable command (filename) and not one that you had to specify before hand. This way i set my shared folder of my plugin to be the same as my eMule and K-Lite Downloads Folder and when ever i finnish a download it will be ready to access from work. The other reason i made it was because me and a few mates download like whores and often end up downloading the same files (wasteing bandwidth) so with this we can check eachothers download folders so we wont end up doing it.

Advantages
You dont have to send people files, they can ask for them.
You can share as much or as little as you want

Disadvantages
Security As this plugin works currently people can download any file from your computer providing they know the file name and path. ( i want to add a password option in later releases)
The average "chatter" will probably not be able to use this plugin (but then again they probably wont even know what plus is, nor will they ever want to use this plugin)
11-09-2003 01:19 PM
Pleh

VB Programmer

38 / Male / –
OK i now have an on and off feature. i used /xron and /xroff to keep all my functions the same. now just for the registry thing.

Quick question
Is there a way to get your plugin to open a form? when ever i try it just says function not recognised. Thanks :)
11-09-2003 01:49 PM
Leif

81 / Male / –
QUOTE: I originally make this plugin so that i could download files from my home computer at work END

How very splendid! Never thought of that! How useful!! Thanks! But I'll have to login with another user name, won't I? So I just have to get one more account, get your plug-in and then I'll have access to (part of) my home computer. Way cooool!
When????
11-09-2003 02:32 PM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
wot problems are you having with the registry?  and yes you can show a form, what language are you using? 
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
11-09-2003 02:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pleh

VB Programmer

38 / Male / –
thanks for all the interest, i have been workin on it all day and its working great so far, i have just fixed the "echo bug" with the help of DJMystic, thanks man, and the on / off functions are working great too, all i need to do now is make an options screen for when you type /xroptions. i have been having troubble getting any registry editing working with VB6 because i usually use .Net and it differs slightly, and the loading of a form from a command i need to get fixed too. if anyone wants to try out a demo of what i have done so far just ask and i will send you a copy of what i have done (with C:\ as your shared folder untill i add the options page)

Thanks again for all your help :)
11-09-2003 03:13 PM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
to show a form in vb use form1.show 1 and obviously chnage the name of the form.  And i have a good module with registry functions which i can send you if you want.  And i'll try it as it is.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
11-09-2003 03:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pleh

VB Programmer

38 / Male / –
cool i could use a registry example, i have also made a beta release of this plugin if any one wants it.

i was using form1.visible = true thats where i was going wrong, lol dont i look silly now.

i will add you to my contacts list so we can talk about that module
I assume you use msn? lol

*EDIT* Beta Link Removed *EDIT*

This post was edited on 11-09-2003 at 10:24 PM by Pleh.
11-09-2003 03:46 PM
Leif

81 / Male / –
1.    Close MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus 2
NP

2.    Put PlehFileSharingVB.dll in your plus 2 plugins folder
    eg. C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 2\Plugins
Easy (but C:\Program\... on my machine)

3.    Register the dll with regsvr32 by using your run command from the start menu
    eg. Paste the following line in the run box
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 2\Plugins\PlehFileSharingVB.dll"
OK (but C:\Program\... on my machine)

4.    Use Pleh File Shareing :)
:(  It does not appear in the menu. What did I do wrong?

I even rebooted to try to make it stick.
11-09-2003 04:25 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: