What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Capturing WebCam Video in MSN Messenger 6.x

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Capturing WebCam Video in MSN Messenger 6.x
Author: Message:
sock
Elite Member

Back in White! (with red stripes)

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. Capturing WebCam Video in MSN Messenger 6.x
Hey, I just wanted to share what I've discovered with you people. :p

So here's a little guide on how to capture your contacts' WebCam video when you are having video conversations with them. :p

I used Camtasia Studio 2 by TechSmith Corporation to do this. The software costs 300 bucks after the 30-day trial, though. :'(

Anyway..... After you install the Studio, open it and read the impotant stuff they show you in the first time. Then when they ask you what you want to record (the wizard thingie), just cancel that and go to Camtasia Recorder (the small window with the red icon, should be opened already). Camtasia Recorder is one of a few applications that are a part of the whole Studio, and can be opened from the Windows Start menu.

Anyway, in Camtasia Recorder, go to Tools -> Options -> Capture and untick the option "Round frame size to a 4 pixel boundary". Click OK, and click the down arrow next to the red record button, then select "Fixed Region...".

For the "Width" enter 160, for the "Height" enter 120 and for the "Y" enter 116. The "X" value depends on your screen's resolution; You need to subtract 186 from your resolution's width to get the right X. For example, if you use a resolution of 1024 by 768 pixels, you would enter 838 (1024 - 168) for the "X".

Now your Camtasia Recorder should be set to record EXACTLY that part of the screen which displays the WebCam activity when the conversation window is maximized.

Now, whenever you want to record a video conversation, all you have to do is open Camtasia Studio (or just Camtasia Recorder), maximize the conversation window which has the video conversation (very important!), make sure no window is hiding the video area, and finally hit the red record button in Camtasia Recorder. :)

Note that the video is initially saved using a "lossless" codec, which means it will have a very large file size if you record for a long time. As WebCam videos are in low quality anyways, you should compress the file more tightly from within Camtasia Studio after you finish recording. You can also edit the captured video file in Camtasia Studio if you want. :p

Last note, I haven't tested the pixel stuff on configurations other than mines, so I hope it will work fine for everyone... in theory, it should. :p

Have fun! :banana:

This post was edited on 12-03-2003 at 07:04 AM by sock.
[Image: patchoulolhaxun7.jpg]
12-03-2003 07:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sk3tch
Veteran Member

We are Samurai, the keyboard cowboys

38 / Male / –
RE: Capturing WebCam Video in MSN Messenger 6.x
hmm, i mentioned the Camtaisa Studio in the thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=18766 a few days ago :P  Its a shame that its only validated for 30 days trial.. its such a good program and it works like a charm. I used it for recording tutorials and things. I never really played around with it much, so when it came to recording a reigon i just clicked and dragged the box over the area i wanted. But the way you have just said sounds much more appropriate for recording webcam convo's. Thanks for the update on that :)
Sk3tch@Microsoft.com - Email
- 53 6B 33 74 63 68 34 64@hotmail.com - Messenger
12-03-2003 07:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
sock
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Capturing WebCam Video in MSN Messenger 6.x
quote:
Originally posted by Sk3tch
Thanks for the update on that :)
[Image: attachment.php?tid=18931&pid=171253]

Anyway, yes it's true that you can select the area in the screen with the mouse, but my way should get exactly and precisely the video area. :p

.png File Attachment: domokun_welc.png (66.57 KB)
This file has been downloaded 8184 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-03-2003 at 07:49 AM by sock.
12-03-2003 07:48 AM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
Although I too like Camtasia, there is a free app called Camstudio that you might want to try?

I have never used it, but have heard it offers basic screen video capture for free :)
12-03-2003 12:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
sock
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. Shocked  RE: Capturing WebCam Video in MSN Messenger 6.x
Hmmm......... That thing looks amazingly similar to Camtasia Recorder...... :-o :dodgy:

[Image: camgraphic.gif]     [Image: attachment.php?tid=18931&pid=171317]

.png File Attachment: Camtasia Recorder.png (28.75 KB)
This file has been downloaded 8042 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-03-2003 at 12:48 PM by sock.
12-03-2003 12:47 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by sock
Hmmm......... That thing looks amazingly similar to Camtasia Recorder...... :-o :dodgy:

True, but it doesn't come with the whole studio surrounding it to add clever stuff :) I think Camtasia is a more polished product to be honest. It would be interesting to see how they both perform beyond what they actually look like :)

Even if it is a blatent rip off (which came first?), then at least the price should soothe your displeasure ;)
12-03-2003 12:51 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

36 / Male / –
Is there any tool actally specific for MSN to encode witha  codec? because i dotn want to faf with these tools a specifci tool would be so much easyer and nicer and smaller :). I.E. Plus!:P or some other tool?
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
12-03-2003 05:53 PM
Sk3tch
Veteran Member

We are Samurai, the keyboard cowboys

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Even if it is a blatent rip off (which came first?)
Camtaisa was probably the first.. its been around for a quite some time. Infact.. the image that sock posted looks a lot like the first one did. hmm.. anyways its free?? well then, it might not be polished product but if its free then, its probably better to get that...

after the 30 day trial of course.. lol

This post was edited on 12-03-2003 at 08:59 PM by Sk3tch.
Sk3tch@Microsoft.com - Email
- 53 6B 33 74 63 68 34 64@hotmail.com - Messenger
12-03-2003 08:58 PM
Pure_BY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
You can do screen capture with Windows Media Encoder 9 Series by Microsoft. I think thats the best way

One you installed it go to Start > All programs > Windows Media > Windows Media Encoder
A windows called "New Session" will show up, click on Capture Screen > Region of the screen

And than type in your settings... It can be different because of your screen resolution or size of Webcam thingie... I'm really not good in math, so I will appreciate of someone will post some nubers for different scrreen resolutions and webcam sizes...

If someone will post the sizez/screen resolutiin things, I will post an article on mess.be, mentioning name of wabz (who reported this to me), sock (cuz' he pointed this idea out) and the name of person who made calculations... Maybe I will add Cam Studio as an alternative program if people dont want Windows Media Encoder, but sertanly not that Camisha Studio or how its called, because its not a free one :)

This post was edited on 04-06-2004 at 01:20 PM by Pure_BY.
04-06-2004 01:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dwergs

There's already a little bit of info on this topic in our MSN Messenger FAQ but I'm always looking to expand :)
Hi, I'm dwergs. You might remember me from sites such as Mess with MSN Messenger and dwergs says.
04-06-2004 02:02 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: