What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website »

Pages: (20): « First « 8 9 10 11 [ 12 ] 13 14 15 16 » Last »
Author: Message:
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
maybe, but i dont think it will be THAT much of a problem. i mean, if some of the 20 are away, wouldn't it make sence that there are a proportionately smaller amount of posts???? the 20 are just like others, just with a bit more power
01-08-2004 10:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
reading these latest posts im a bit confused..
So this rating system is gonna rate member's posts?
so we will be able to vote once for every post made by a member?
Or are we rating the member himself.. just once?
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
01-08-2004 11:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
So this rating system is gonna rate member's posts?
Yeah... the reputation of the user is based on the user's most important thing: his/her posts.

quote:
so we will be able to vote once for every post made by a member?
Yes, but I hope you're not planning to attack users you don't like by finding and rating all their posts. :tongue: The number of votes you can give per day will be limited.

quote:
Or are we rating the member himself.. just once?
No, it's not like the rating feature in profiles.

This post was edited on 01-09-2004 at 06:16 AM by WDZ.
01-09-2004 06:15 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Yes, but I hope you're not planning to attack users you don't like by finding and rating all their posts.  The number of votes you can give per day will be limited.

Thats exactly why was I asking (/me looks at Muss :dodgy: :lol:)

I just think that we will get annoyied of this.. :undecided:
So if that happens, only bad posts will start to be rated and everyone's rating will go down.. :P
-------------

A suggestion: disable ratings in T&T :lol:
01-09-2004 06:30 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ok, I posted this before but since WDZ typed to fast (or somthing like that :p) this one got missed I think in this fast thread (If I look at the some replies).. so I moved it :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------
----ORIGINAL POST----
lurking here... so far I like Billywoods idea that different groups have different limitations for voting (+1, +2, ...)

things needed to be taken in consideration:
* Can one vote for the same post multiple times?
* What if that post gots edited, is it considered a new post where you can vote on it again or not?
* What if you want to change your vote for a certain post?
* Should one vote for posts only, or also on members general.
* If you vote for individual posts, maybe it is an idea to have two reputation bars: 1 for the individual post, 1 for the poster himself.
* What if a post gots deleted; does this delete also the votes for it and so the votes for the poster himself?
* Maybe if a post gots moved to T&T or deleted by an admin, the reputation of that poster (and/or post) should decrease.

Another thing about the user titles:
The problem is that the current user titles are a bit confusing:
"Post Freak", etc... only says something about your post count, not who you are in the group.
"New member", "elite member", "mod", "full member" are in fact titles that don't have to do anything with postcount but with your status in a group....

So, IMO, this has to be fixed also; either use things like "post freak", "regular poster", "lurker", etc... and link it to the postcount or use titles like "elite member", "full member", "regular member" etc... and don't link them to postcount, but link them to a reputationlevel or time....

This post was edited on 01-09-2004 at 08:24 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-09-2004 08:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
O.P.
My thoughts on CookieRevised's points:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
* Can one vote for the same post multiple times?
No. If it's extremely good, then bleh, people will notice. If it's bad, use the report button.

quote:
* What if that post gots edited, is it considered a new post where you can vote on it again or not?
I mostly only edit posts to correct my spelling or add an additional point or something. If it changes the whole theme of what is said, there was probably a reason to vote as you did before, so you don't need to vote again.

quote:
* What if you want to change your vote for a certain post?
Depends how hard it is for WDZ to code, and how lazy he's feeling. :P As I said there shouldn't really be a need to change your vote.

quote:
* If you vote for individual posts, maybe it is an idea to have two reputation bars: 1 for the individual post, 1 for the poster himself.
Not too sure what you mean? :s

quote:
* What if a post gots deleted; does this delete also the votes for it and so the votes for the poster himself?
Maybe there could be an option for the admins? For example, if the starter of a thread deletes it, he can keep whatever points he's lost/gained, but if an admin/mod deletes it, they can choose what happens? (This is why I didn't refer to your fourth point, by the way...)

quote:
* Maybe if a post gots moved to T&T or deleted by an admin, the reputation of that poster (and/or post) should decrease.
Again, they could choose. And of course, reputation should not be counted in T&T.

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't see this post:

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
maybe, but i dont think it will be THAT much of a problem. i mean, if some of the 20 are away, wouldn't it make sence that there are a proportionately smaller amount of posts???? the 20 are just like others, just with a bit more power
Why...? There are 20 people, and granted they post a lot, but we have thousands of members. If two are away, it doesn't mean there will be 90% of the normal number of posts. Mostly I don't post because one of them has, so I reckon there will be the same number of posts, if not more.

This post was edited on 01-10-2004 at 06:28 PM by billywoods1.
[Image: title.gif]
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

01-10-2004 06:24 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
i agree with last billywoods1's comment (this time i copy/pasted ur nick :P), except:

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
Not really, cause there's already the "rate user" option in our profiles...

quote:
quote:

Maybe there could be an option for the admins? For example, if the starter of a thread deletes it, he can keep whatever points he's lost/gained, but if an admin/mod deletes it, they can choose what happens? (This is why I didn't refer to your fourth point, by the way...)

nah it shouldnt go up/down if u delete a thread... even if it was u who deleted it
01-10-2004 06:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Not really, cause there's already the "rate user" option in our profiles...

But that's 1) crap, 2) no-one knows about it, 3) IIRC its going to be deleted....
My suggestion is to link that to the votes of the posts.... the more positive votes he got for his various posts, the more he, as a user, will be rated positive...

quote:
Again, they could choose. And of course, reputation should not be counted in T&T.
So... someone who spams a lot gets a negative vote... then the post is plitted to T&T... votes don't count there you say.... So, his negative votes are lost... what's the point in voting then?

The reason for summing up those points in my previous post was that IMO it's not that easy to say this or that... Everything you do/suggest should be considered... "What happens if..."

No system is fail-proof, but with lots of thinking and considering you can make it very good.... It all depends on how reliable you want it to make....

note: just thought of another point to think about:
If you only vote for posts. What happens with the "respected user" who doesn't post much (like Dwergs). He can only gather so many positive votes, cause he only has so many posts.... meaning: if you don't take the postcount into consideration into the voting-system then it isn't reliable (again).... (or solution, vote also on the person who posts, but link this also to the postvotes...)

This post was edited on 01-10-2004 at 08:04 PM by CookieRevised.
01-10-2004 07:52 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
Wow... quite a bit of posts...

Anyway, I vote yes for the reputations, they are better than nothing...

However... I just came up with an idea (and please read it till the end): making a sort of "comments" feature for each user, so we could leave comments (1 per user, of course) about a certain user, and qualify it as positive/neutral/negative just like in Ebay and those kind of sites. So, basically, the reputation can be a number:

Patchou (34)
Guido (0)
Batchou (-12)

I think that's more fair, plus the text comments are useful to know more about the persons' character and attitude. It's a good extension to the reputations system. Additionally, if someone is constantly flamed and doesn't really understand why, he can read his comments by other users to see how he/she can change his attitude in order not to be banned or just ignored.

So, back to the example, if next week I find out Patchou... erhm... has been logging in as another user and spamming all the forums... I can go to his profile (or click on the link in his reputation number), update my comment to "This guy started being nice, but now he's spamming all the boards" and setting my opinion on him "Negative".

Thus, Patchou's reputation would be 32 (two less), because I had previously voted him positively.

Neutral comments would be just "gentle warnings" to the users that are evidently making mistakes but maybe not in purpose.

Here again, we can make admins/mods/elites/members/newbies' comments count as 1 point, 2 points, 5 points (or whatever), depending on the group. Or just make all groups count as 1 point per comment, to make it more fear.

Bottom line: Yes, it is a complex system and yes, it seems hard to implement, but it's certainly more useful than the Post counts, The current rating or Mybb's reputation thingy. Imho, of course.

Opinions please? [Image: viejo.gif]

This post was edited on 01-10-2004 at 08:31 PM by Guido.
01-10-2004 08:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
in short: as I see it (as an added system, not a replacement) and think about it... there are no drawbacks... I vote 5/5 (y)
01-10-2004 08:31 PM
Pages: (20): « First « 8 9 10 11 [ 12 ] 13 14 15 16 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: